• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cool Ebay Gadgets For Cars

cha

in service stations they use a hand wiper like this after washing, to wipe off the water... like this... does anyone know where can i get this from sri lanka or what you call this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedway-Chrome-Plated-Single-Hand-Crank-Manual-Windshield-Wiper-/131499815941

Look for "car water squeegee" on ebay.

I personally wouldn't use one of those. It's possible that grains of sand/dust left over from the wash would get dragged all along the paint.

But your car your petrol your squeegee.

• Like 4

in service stations they use a hand wiper like this after washing, to wipe off the water... like this... does anyone know where can i get this from sri lanka or what you call this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedway-Chrome-Plated-Single-Hand-Crank-Manual-Windshield-Wiper-/131499815941

Watchman is right, better to use a synthetic chamois leather to dry off. Can picked up at an Arpico for around 500 IIRC

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guys, which one would suit best for a windshield protector?

I guess these 2 are made with 2 different materials... anyone have experience in using both these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-Casual-Foldable-Car-Windshield-Visor-Cover-Front-Rear-Block-Window-Sun-Shade-/361413974940?hash=item5425f39b9c:g:2J0AAOSw9mFWKMbw&vxp=mtr

As for the sunshade what i did was;

1. Bought mac foil and suction cups

2. Mark the borders of the windshield with a marker

3. Cut the mac-foil along the borders

4. Cut a spacing for the rear view mirror

5. Cut few holes to fix the suction cups (Smallest possible so suction cups will be tight and solid)

-- Optional - You can add a cloth border or plastic beeding for the borders.

What i find good about this is unlike universal sun shades the windshield is 100% covered so it reduces heat quite alot. Down side is it would not fold neatly but I used to roll it and have a rubber band to store it when i'm not using it.

PS - I would prefer not to have anything out side the car.

KMeeg..

• Like 1

I use the first type. So far no problem.

The second one seems to be fixed from outside. Is that practical in SL? Most probably will get stolen :D

Guys, which one would suit best for a windshield protector?

I guess these 2 are made with 2 different materials... anyone have experience in using both these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-Casual-Foldable-Car-Windshield-Visor-Cover-Front-Rear-Block-Window-Sun-Shade-/361413974940?hash=item5425f39b9c:g:2J0AAOSw9mFWKMbw&vxp=mtr'>http://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-Casual-Foldable-Car-Windshield-Visor-Cover-Front-Rear-Block-Window-Sun-Shade-/361413974940?hash=item5425f39b9c:g:2J0AAOSw9mFWKMbw&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-Prevent-Snow-Ice-Sun-Shade-Dust-Frost-Freezing-Car-Windshield-Cover-Protector-/371521272209?hash=item568064b991:g:6nIAAOSw95lXEdFC&vxp=mtr'>http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-Prevent-Snow-Ice-Sun-Shade-Dust-Frost-Freezing-Car-Windshield-Cover-Protector-/371521272209?hash=item568064b991:g:6nIAAOSw95lXEdFC&vxp=mtr

Initially i bought the first type from Darley road, don't know what the brand is. It basically started to loose it's rigidity after a few month because I use it daily. It came to a point here it was just sagging around and couldn't even be held up. Then i bought one from Arpico, seems like the Arpico one is much higher quality. Still holding strong after about 1.5 years. Just be cautious, these eBay ones might have the same fate as the one i bought from Darley road.

• Like 1

Th second one.

I believe the 2nd option is good for snow countries to prevent foaming ice on windshield. Unlike snow, ice is hard to remove from windshield. You have to put heater and wait until it gets little melted so that you can clean it without scratching the windshield. So some people use this, but its kinda messy when ice melts..

In my opinion it might not be practical in our country. 1. Theft problem. 2. When you remove it and store inside the car all the dust will be inside your car. right?

Just a thought.. :)

• Like 1

Bought 1st one from Arpico about 2 years back for a price below 1000. Still as new after continuous daily usage of 2 years

any one have an idea on those police radar detectors in E-Bay. Are they compatible here and will they be allowed to be shipped. I saw one fixed which the guy has brought from US. It gives a beep sound when those police speed traps are pointed at the vehicle.

any one have an idea on those police radar detectors in E-Bay. Are they compatible here and will they be allowed to be shipped. I saw one fixed which the guy has brought from US. It gives a beep sound when those police speed traps are pointed at the vehicle.

speed guns have been discussed in the past.

And I think the last I heard; the expressway cops now use a camera/gun combo. So by the time you detector beeps that you have been targeted, they would already have a photo of you speeding.

Google up truCAM LIDAR

s-l1600.jpg

I ordered this dash camera for my vehicle, What I needed was a capsule type unit without a display, but with phone connectivity over wi-fi to view recorded videos and live views.

So, only COWON and BlackVue were available to my requirement and went for COWON AW2 + GPS module,

URL: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171633452438

Holy shit that's expensive. I backed a kickstarter project for a dual channel dashcam which cost $99.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1206117568/clex-dash-cam-for-your-vehicle

speed guns have been discussed in the past.

And I think the last I heard; the expressway cops now use a camera/gun combo. So by the time you detector beeps that you have been targeted, they would already have a photo of you speeding.

Google up truCAM LIDAR

Back then i can remember having one of those detectors in our car (1998). That perticular unit was brought down from UK. It will work fine if only a speed gun is used as you will have a small window to reduce the speed. But if a camera is also used to capture the image, then it will be too late. (I have not personally seen one in action though)

Back then i can remember having one of those detectors in our car (1998). That perticular unit was brought down from UK. It will work fine if only a speed gun is used as you will have a small window to reduce the speed. But if a camera is also used to capture the image, then it will be too late. (I have not personally seen one in action though)

Yeah I think you're referring to the older guns which were detected by those Cobra XXX series detectors.

My dad was busted speeding on the southern expressway and they showed him the photo/video of him (which is stronger evidence than a speedgun that shows only the speed, and has no way of identifying the vehicle it clocked). There were some similar photos of a car/suv caught speeding circulating on FB.

He asked them for the model which was a truCAM and I was reading up online and apparently there' no way of getting around it.

Yeah I think you're referring to the older guns which were detected by those Cobra XXX series detectors.

My dad was busted speeding on the southern expressway and they showed him the photo/video of him (which is stronger evidence than a speedgun that shows only the speed, and has no way of identifying the vehicle it clocked). There were some similar photos of a car/suv caught speeding circulating on FB.

He asked them for the model which was a truCAM and I was reading up online and apparently there' no way of getting around it.

Don't they also measure the average speed on e1? Wonder what happens if your average speed is over 100

Don't they also measure the average speed on e1? Wonder what happens if your average speed is over 100

Don't think they take that avg speed into account, ones one of my friend got caught on the Katunayake expressway and the cop had told him that speeds up to 110kmph is ok but that they wont let go if you do above that. He was doing 120kmph, I have seen many people do 100kmph+ on the 80kmph zone on Katunayake expressway.

Edited by asrock

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Magnum" data-cid="292010" data-time="1462688317"><p>

Are the high speed cops at the expressway everyday? or is it just once in a while randomly?</p></blockquote>

Yeah some cops are goofing around everyday and sometimes they just keep watching ??

Edited by Nissan cdj

• 1 month later...

The average speed is bogus. On my regular run to Gelanigama, a friend checked the average speed, and it was 68km/h. I got there in 8 minutes.

Edited by terrabytetango

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, asrock said:

Any one bought a 12V cigarette lighter/ Aux socket splitter like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152112464924?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm going to buy a dashcam soon and the 12V Aux socket is already occupied by my Garmin Nuvi.

Yep. Have been using something similar to this for connecting my MP3 modulator and phone charger.

No issues so far :-)

Fairly handy and cheap solution i reckon. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2015 at 9:57 AM, The Stig said:

Well my new dash cam arrived (G90)

The box was a little beaten up though, everything inside is fine

DSC_0104.jpg

Thats all there was in the box (oh and a user manual which was pretty useless)

This is the suction mount, it also has a power connector adapter which connects to the top of the camera (there is a mini USB port on the camera and the suction mount itself, you can chose to use either one).

DSC_0113.jpg

And here is the camera itself, it only about 3 inches wide and about 1.5 inches tall. The lens protrudes about 1 inches forward though.

DSC_0114.jpg

Sorry didn't bother wiping, its a bit dusty

Inside view after fixing it, I had enough space to fix it right behind the mirror. The suction mount was pretty solid

I hid the wires through the beading and upholster later on, didn't take pictures after :sleeping-smiley-008:

DSC_0119.jpg

@The Stig  How is this holding up? any issues so far? How about the suction cup? My Garmin nuvi's suction cup doesn't hold. I was impressed by the video you posted, thinking of buying a g90 off ebay and mounting it alongside with the nuvi.