• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Servicing A Honda Insight

Binga Honda

Dear Friends,

Well its time for me to service my Insight and I wish to know more before I go for it…

Please tell me;

About the Oil SAE grade I should use…? Coz now the car is in SL do I need to go for 0W-20 as per the manual? When I was reading on the Net some say to go for 5W-20 or 10W-30 but my worry is that these oil grades are very low and they are just good for fuel efficient but not to save the engine with the friction!!! Am I not correct? So is it ok to go for at lest 10W-30 or 20W-40 ?

I am new to Automatic gear boxes so please tell me the intervals that you guys prefer to change the gear oil and from where to do it? My car has a CVT gear box.

Is there a specific gear oil to be used and do I have to get it from the agents always?? If no; what sort of gear oil I should be looking for?

And finally one stop shop that I can get all of the above done within the Colombo area... Or any place my Insight people has gone for servicing which you can recommend

Thanks….

Well i am hoping to hear some valuable information other than bashing whoever post some question about Hybrids...

please put up useful information, else leave the post alone.... People how are really want to help me please do so and post...

Thanks again...

Edited by Binga Honda
  • Like 1

Friend, Honestly, I know nothing about servicing insight. Why don't you contact Stafford Motors workshop.

Automobile Service Complex (Workshops & Spare parts)

63, Stork place, Colombo 10.

Contact Person: Lal Ganegoda (Senior Manager-Workshop)

Phone: +94 11 4741122

Fax: +94 11 2697423

• Like 1

Hey Binga, honestly I'm a complete stranger to hybrids - but if your manual says to use a particular type of oil, use that - don't get 'advice' from unknown quantities on the web - check your maunal.

While I know nothing about hybrids, I do know something about CVT, for your oil change interval, consult your agent. CVT gearbox oil is expensive and is designed to last a LONG time, some gearboxes have been sealed and some have inferred that it never needs to be changed. It seems different manufacturers require different change intervals, so don't ask people and get confused with their varying answers, the change interval for your specific make and model WILL be known by Honda hybrid technicians, presuming, of course, that they have some here. If they don't you could even drop a mail to Honda, Japan and get them to tell you or just confirm what the agents say.

Edited by ShintaroX
  • Like 3

Dear Friends,

Well its time for me to service my Insight and I wish to know more before I go for it…

Please tell me;

About the Oil SAE grade I should use…? Coz now the car is in SL do I need to go for 0W-20 as per the manual? When I was reading on the Net some say to go for 5W-20 or 10W-30 but my worry is that these oil grades are very low and they are just good for fuel efficient but not to save the engine with the friction!!! Am I not correct? So is it ok to go for at lest 10W-30 or 20W-40 ?

I am new to Automatic gear boxes so please tell me the intervals that you guys prefer to change the gear oil and from where to do it? My car has a CVT gear box.

Is there a specific gear oil to be used and do I have to get it from the agents always?? If no; what sort of gear oil I should be looking for?

And finally one stop shop that I can get all of the above done within the Colombo area... Or any place my Insight people has gone for servicing which you can recommend

Thanks….

This might be helpful - http://www.sundaytimes.lk/110904/BusinessTimes/bt28.html

Friend, Honestly, I know nothing about servicing insight. Why don't you contact Stafford Motors workshop.

Most of the numbers at Honda changed recently. I don't know whether these numbers are still valid.

The new workshop number is 011-7607410

Correct contact no is 0117607200

Nothing special when servicing a hybrid. It is better, if you can use 10W-30 oil. But most of the cars use 20W-40. CVT oil is to be replaced every 25000kms. Use only Honda CVT oil. That can be purchased from the agents. (This part is for Hybrid haters- Compared to Honda Fit's 15000km CVT oil change, hybrid is better.)

Oil filter C-809

Air filter A-892

Cabin filter AC-808E

( VIC part numbers.)

So you can service your Insight at your usual service station.

Edited by Dinuk
  • Like 2

mate servicing the insight isn't rocket science. they will just do oil, filters change, undercarriage wash and inspection of all parts. stafford uses castrol 10-30W. They recommend CVT change at 30,000 kms. cost will be around Rs 15,000 because they charge a premium on the engine oil. just go over there for your service or try ar*bian motors or that new singaporian hybrid place.

mate servicing the insight isn't rocket science. they will just do oil, filters change, undercarriage wash and inspection of all parts. stafford uses castrol 10-30W. They recommend CVT change at 30,000 kms. cost will be around Rs 15,000 because they charge a premium on the engine oil. just go over there for your service or try ar*bian motors or that new singaporian hybrid place.

It is true. Anyway, I changed the CVT oil and engine oil from stafford and cost me around Rs. 8500 for CVT oil and around Rs 7500 for engine oil. Had to replace the oil filter and cleaned the air filter. It costs me close to Rs 20000 for that service from Stafford. Remember to use Honda CVT oil, and don't recommend to use any other oil for Honda CVT box.

Dear Friends,

Thank you for the information... well true that there is nothing special behind the servicing... but i wanted to know about the SAE of the oil... mostly.. and the CVT gear coz i am new to Auto gear box :)

Has anyone gone to this new Hybrid Motors Lanka place ??? if so please share your experience...

well Thanks again for the info

Binga try Wasana Traders in Wattala if its not far from you.Seen a big board about Hybrid servicing.

Just call them up and see how much it would cost for the service.

Dear Friends,

Please tell me;

Thanks….

Dear Friends,

Please tell me;

Outta curiosity, if the manual says use 0W-20, then why put something else?

Well Big_D i could ask the same for fuel we are putting to our cars as well... coz non of our fuel we put are not up to our car manuals right !!!.. but they still works...

Honda has said 0w-20, 5w-20 and 10w-30 to get the max efficient from the engine for fuel consumption...[and they do not guarantee that it will not stop/reduce the engine friction :D and my concern is the engine friction...so i went for 15W-40 Mobil] where i am not that bothered about fuel consumption at the moment :rolleyes:

anyways today i did a gear oil change its Honda CVTF cost me Rs.8000 for 4L and used only 3.2L something...

and funny enough i called the Agents on Friday and asked for an appointment and then they said they dont have the CVTF with them and when i asked when it will be available the guy said he does not know!!! :blink: what the Hell... i mean dont they know when they are running out of stocks and the estimated time of getting them back ??? I hope more and more people will come-up with good maintenance station where we can get our cars checked... you know... why do we always have to get disappointed like this...

btw has anyone gone to this Hybrid Motors Lanka and Maligawatta ???

• 5 years later...

Just to update on my experience with Stafford motors.Had to service the Insight.was time to change the CVT as well.

Oil change (10W30) +Oil Filter+CVT oil ( was about 8800/- 4 liters) + labour charges=17,600/=

was done under 30 mins. i didnt want get it washed and cleaned inside since it was already done.

This was done in Raththnapitiya Stafford. Was very quick. would recommend.