• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Overheating Mazda 323

Lancerfiore

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a mazda 323. I was on my way to work in the morning today, and suddenly i noticed that the engine temperature began to rise rapidly.

Within a few seconds the engine temp guage had gone a quater of the way up from the normal operating temperature and was rapidly closing in to the 'H' position.

I immidietly pulled to the side of the road and cut the engine. I let it cool off for a while, and noticed that one of the radiator hoses had burst.

And when checked the radiator it was empty!! so i let it cool off and gradually filled the readiator with water.

I got it fixed and the car seems to be running fine now. No strange noises from the engine etc. My only concern is could this have done any permanant damage to the engine? Im sure the engine oil must have got a bit wasted as well? should i change it?

Hi guys,

I got it fixed and the car seems to be running fine now. No strange noises from the engine etc. My only concern is could this have done any permanant damage to the engine? Im sure the engine oil must have got a bit wasted as well? should i change it?

I’ve also experienced the same many times with my Mazda , the other culprit for the cause is a busted fan. I don’t thing there would be a serious issue as you stopped and did the precautions but monitor the water levels ( Coolent) Like advised by JD.

• Like 1

Change the oil and filter. Monitor the car for any coolant loss. If there was any damage to the engine you would probably know it by now. Since you pulled over when you saw the gauge and it wasn't at the highest point you should be ok.

Hi JDnet, thanks for the advice. I checked the engine oil, it did seem a bit darker than usual. im not sure if its my mind playing tricks on me. anyways i will get the oil and filter changed immdietly, i feel really bad about this as the engine in this vehicle is in super condition. I hope nothing got screwerd up.. :(

I’ve also experienced the same many times with my Mazda , the other culprit for the cause is a busted fan. I don’t thing there would be a serious issue as you stopped and did the precautions but monitor the water levels ( Coolent) Like advised by JD.

Hi Mazdaspeed, how far did the temprature rise on the guage when this happened... in my case it happened so quickly.. i luckily spotted this when it was happening.... but still to me the temprature rise seemed extremely fast!

Hi JDnet, thanks for the advice. I checked the engine oil, it did seem a bit darker than usual. im not sure if its my mind playing tricks on me. anyways i will get the oil and filter changed immdietly, i feel really bad about this as the engine in this vehicle is in super condition. I hope nothing got screwerd up.. :(

Well stuff like that happens. There's no reason to feel too sad about it. Since you bought the car recently, do check for anything else that may need to be sorted out evenbtually eg. spark plugs, bushes, shocks.

Most of the time when you buy a used car you have to expect to put in a little cash to get it back into prime condition as they tend to be cared for less before the previous owner sells it.

• Like 1

Well stuff like that happens. There's no reason to feel too sad about it. Since you bought the car recently, do check for anything else that may need to be sorted out evenbtually eg. spark plugs, bushes, shocks.

Most of the time when you buy a used car you have to expect to put in a little cash to get it back into prime condition as they tend to be cared for less before the previous owner sells it.

Yes agreed, thanks again.. i will get the rest of the vehicle checked up as well. Planning to take it and check the wheel alignments etc.

Dude be cool. Its normal. Unless of course the pistons didn't get stuck. Anyway it better to flush both coolant and oil(specially if discolored). Its good that you've kept your eyes open. There r few who drives till the engine gets f@#$d up.

Dude be cool. Its normal. Unless of course the pistons didn't get stuck. Anyway it better to flush both coolant and oil(specially if discolored). Its good that you've kept your eyes open. There r few who drives till the engine gets f@#$d up.

Yeah i know, i was lucky enough to spot it just when it was about to happen.. its always good to make it habit to have a brief look at the meter panel from time to time.. specially when your stuck in traffic etc...

Edited by Lancerfiore

Hi Mazdaspeed, how far did the temprature rise on the guage when this happened... in my case it happened so quickly.. i luckily spotted this when it was happening.... but still to me the temprature rise seemed extremely fast!

All the way to the way way past the 1/2 mark.... kept filling in water every now & then till I could manage to get home

All the way to the way way past the 1/2 mark.... kept filling in water every now & then till I could manage to get home

Wow bad seen.. i ended up temporariliy fixing the leak using a torn peice of cloth and a shopping bag. It held on till i was able to get to a garage.

So i guess there was no damage to the engine..?!?! i guess this is a common problem in mazdas.

Hmmmm.. not that you mentioned it, the radiator cap is extemely difficult to remove or fit back on..

Get it replaced machang. Just make sure the number matches. Since its a 323 chances are the cap is freely available. I bought one for my old Nissan P11 for 700 rupees.

Get it replaced machang. Just make sure the number matches. Since its a 323 chances are the cap is freely available. I bought one for my old Nissan P11 for 700 rupees.

yeah... thanks bro, will get it replaced with a new one. the raidator cap which is currently their doesnt seem to be right..