• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

5 Series (E39)

AA3

@NBFM - If I were you i would get the following done for a peace of mine

1. Change the thermostat + water pump + and hoses - Around 40k for parts if imported from singapore or ebay

2. Change the ATF - VVti has mentioned the cost

3. Change all the filters including the fuel filter and oil - Can't be more than 20k

Hi I bought my 525i 2001yom car from a very carefully used lady driver who had done only 23k for the last 6 years (with a total mileage of 46k......... In kilometers :-). Yeah good deal).

mmm.... looks like the number of KMs the car has done is not necessarily a good indicator of its condition. Usually a car that is driven daily tends to have lesser issues.

But why would you want to replace the water pump ?

mmm.... looks like the number of KMs the car has done is not necessarily a good indicator of its condition. Usually a car that is driven daily tends to have lesser issues.

But why would you want to replace the water pump ?

Think you need to read up on the rest of this thread as you will actually find this has been covered (even the water pump) :)

Ok now here we go.

To VVTi. First, is ASC means anti skid control? How does it work? Answering your second question, man I was crazy over a Jag in spite many advices not to. Then was going after a Volvo 70 then an Accord(which in was very comfortable and attached to). Later one of ma good friends recommended this and it was love a first sight. No regrets and as mentioned wonder why I didn't think of beemers before. Maybe one things cos I see thousands of 3s in the road (no disrespect to ma brothers of 3s) the other thing is one of ma office collegue is having a 3 and didn't want to position my sled with him :)

To rangerover, man you are worse than killjoy. Of course you are right, but can I sneak about 1000km before I cough out for those replacements? Hope the car will not give up on me at school traffic at two pm in in base line road when out side temperature hits at 36C. My previous Accord never did :-p

Yeah carbon b4. Especially the cars which are meant to be driven should be driven. We should ban beemers to all lady drivers above thirty. Previous owner has been using the my car like using a F35 jet to do courier service for DHL.

Don. Yes agree. It's a long thread.

Thank you gentlemen for allowing a Jap to get into Germany. I would have been in ecstasy if not for the bloody US embargo for Iran oil.

Ok now here we go.

To VVTi. First, is ASC means anti skid control? How does it work? Answering your second question, man I was crazy over a Jag in spite many advices not to. Then was going after a Volvo 70 then an Accord(which in was very comfortable and attached to). Later one of ma good friends recommended this and it was love a first sight. No regrets and as mentioned wonder why I didn't think of beemers before. Maybe one things cos I see thousands of 3s in the road (no disrespect to ma brothers of 3s) the other thing is one of ma office collegue is having a 3 and didn't want to position my sled with him :)

To rangerover, man you are worse than killjoy. Of course you are right, but can I sneak about 1000km before I cough out for those replacements? Hope the car will not give up on me at school traffic at two pm in in base line road when out side temperature hits at 36C. My previous Accord never did :-p

Yeah carbon b4. Especially the cars which are meant to be driven should be driven. We should ban beemers to all lady drivers above thirty. Previous owner has been using the my car like using a F35 jet to do courier service for DHL.

Thank you gentlemen for allowing a Jap to get into Germany. I would have been in ecstasy if not for the bloody US embargo for Iran oil.

Hi, I think its important you treat an apple as an apple and orange as an orange. So I will actually listen to fellow owners of BMWs as they speak with experience in context. For example there is no point listening to me using a BMW in the UK because it is a somewhat different experience (there are many of them, most are daily runners and the climate is kind to them).

Some of the issues they speak of and the steps they take are from a pure Sri Lankan context. In motor vehicles when one thing fails it can lead to a domino effect which can be catastrophic. So preventative maintenance will nearly always save you money in the long run.

Particularly when you take ownership of a car which has not had much use, you always need to consider the impact this might have had on the car and take steps to remedy it. Rubber without moisture might have deteriorated, radiator might get blocked with sediment, sludge may develop because of chemical break down of engine oils etc etc. I had to take this into account when I bought my Mitsubishi as everything from tyres, to bushes had eroded and the radiator was blocked. So this is a general issue not specific to BMW. But it sounds like the radiator hoses in BMWs are a little less tolerant of our climate than certain other cars.

But in the end it is your car, your money, your risk. So do what you think is best!

• Like 2

Ok now here we go.

How old are you BTW? ;)

For ASC you can google.

You can try and squeeze out 1000kms.... and have the engine burst a pipe and warp the engine in mid day traffic. If you are a gambling man, this is highly recommended as it is quite thrilling to see the steam come out and literally hear the engine grind to a halt.

There are quite a number of 3 owners in this forum, so I would keep my opinions to myself about 3s. 3s are not a lesser BMW, it is a different model. I had a 3 myself and loved it to bits.

Also the fact that you consider yourself a higher being just because you drive a 5 (your comment about parking next to your friend at work) confirms to me you bought the car for the wrong reasons.

Also one of the most powerful E39s (540i) short of a M5 in Sri Lanka is currently owned and driven by a lady, so again I would keep my opinions regarding that to myself too... :)

Again, I ask you, how old are you? :)

• Like 2

I had a 3 myself and loved it to bits.

VVTi, bout time you let go of the 3... she's not your anymore.. ;)

NEW BEEMER FIVE MEMBER:So you have your self a M52... nice. I believe I have the same engine (in a 3) (pardon my ignorance) in a different time zone with Capt. Morgan in the tummy. ;)

One more thing to note is that the E39 has a quite expensive to replace suspension. Oh.. yeah.. forgot to mention, I have VVTi's Ex... a '96 E36 with the M52 B25 VANOS. Have replaced almost all moving parts, to avoid the hassle of being stranded on the road.

You think you don't need ASC in SL??? try driving angry in hard rain on a winding road... :sport-smiley-027:

Edited by Bugatti

yo yo yo guys. no offence made to anyone. its just the way i think, i believe i said too much already about me. i simply dont want to be any body but want to be somebody,and that i believe made me say things i said about my friends car and the other Beemers. so lets not take offence shall we now?

i wanted a car. a big car. an impressive car. a powerful car and now I've got it.

think now all are making comments about this one presuming its previous owner didnt use it at all and simply had parked it to rot. it is not the case. she has been doing about 150-200 km per month. regular service and repair at company and keeping it good. its just that i out of no where started using 250-300 a week. so thats the difference.

am no car dude with knowledge of all bhps phps to so many multiple abbreviations and numbers such as M54, b25, A 33, Q 007 etc. pls let me know what they mean and what they do. i got to know m car is E 39 only after talking to you guys. so treat me as a new brother. no am not that old. lessay am at my prime VVTi. and bro certainly i didnt mean any disrespect to my 3 brothers. (thats the last thing in ma mind). i just didnt want my self in one of them like so many other good cars. (i hate Toyotas by the way, it doesnt mean i am looking down at them). i do have ego, but not into this aspect mate. so my view is not to offend anyone. its the way i think. (am a good man guys)

so ma car is M52. and E 39. what else do you guys call it? i call it BMW 525i.

and all the guys who are in this forum., do you guys meet or do you be anonymous throughout? rememebr somewhere reading that they use to have a Beemer club. does that exist?

I dont think this is the right car for you. Only being brutally honest here. I sold a vw bora that was in perfect nick to a wanna be european car enthusiast. the state the car is now is a damn shame.. If you plan on keeping the car do update yourself . Or you will soon hate yourself for buying it

yo yo yo guys. no offence made to anyone. its just the way i think, i believe i said too much already about me. i simply dont want to be any body but want to be somebody,and that i believe made me say things i said about my friends car and the other Beemers. so lets not take offence shall we now?

i wanted a car. a big car. an impressive car. a powerful car and now I've got it.

think now all are making comments about this one presuming its previous owner didnt use it at all and simply had parked it to rot. it is not the case. she has been doing about 150-200 km per month. regular service and repair at company and keeping it good. its just that i out of no where started using 250-300 a week. so thats the difference.

am no car dude with knowledge of all bhps phps to so many multiple abbreviations and numbers such as M54, b25, A 33, Q 007 etc. pls let me know what they mean and what they do. i got to know m car is E 39 only after talking to you guys. so treat me as a new brother. no am not that old. lessay am at my prime VVTi. and bro certainly i didnt mean any disrespect to my 3 brothers. (thats the last thing in ma mind). i just didnt want my self in one of them like so many other good cars. (i hate Toyotas by the way, it doesnt mean i am looking down at them). i do have ego, but not into this aspect mate. so my view is not to offend anyone. its the way i think. (am a good man guys)

so ma car is M52. and E 39. what else do you guys call it? i call it BMW 525i.

and all the guys who are in this forum., do you guys meet or do you be anonymous throughout? rememebr somewhere reading that they use to have a Beemer club. does that exist?

I have One word for you machang, GOOGLE.

All your life's questions will be answered.

I dont think this is the right car for you. Only being brutally honest here. I sold a vw bora that was in perfect nick to a wanna be european car enthusiast. the state the car is now is a damn shame.. If you plan on keeping the car do update yourself . Or you will soon hate yourself for buying it

O wow So now you think this is not the car for me. What can I say man.

yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo....yo yo yo...yo yo 'new beemer five member'... don't mind these haterz man,they jus hatin on yo ride nigga...u jus go an' do yo thang with yo bimma duude,i betta you get the hos to drop the panties wherever u go wit dat sweet ass ride,,,hells yeah playa...maxxa repecta!...md out yo!

• Like 6

By the way why haven't you put a BMW logo on your profile man?

Because you can't put two profile pictures... ;)

Because I don't need a BMW to make a 'somebody'.... because when I park it at work next to some stranger's car, I am not feeling inadequate. Because when I drive it, I don't think I am driving, what did you call it, 'a car. a big car. an impressive car. a powerful car'... ;)

Edited by VVTi
  • Like 2