• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suzuki A-Star V Viva Elite

harindi

Hi Harindi,

The initial cost will be definitely low in Viva elite than A-Star. But the K-Series engine which comes with A-star will give you more pleasure of driving as well as more fuel savings than Viva Elite.

BR

Kasun

In addition to that the vehicle control is very good and pulling power is great ... its is actually a bigger can than a VIVA and have good ground clearance

I beg to differ. I drove an A-Star manual to Kandy and back during the Perahera, and you have to really know NOTHING about cars and driving to say things like "pleasure of driving" and "pulling power is great" about it! And this is a brand new car. Less that 500km on the clock.

I mean, really. K series engines give pleasure of driving? Must be to folk upgrading from a trishaw. And even then I'm not sure.

I beg to differ. I drove an A-Star manual to Kandy and back during the Perahera, and you have to really know NOTHING about cars and driving to say things like "pleasure of driving" and "pulling power is great" about it! And this is a brand new car. Less that 500km on the clock.

I mean, really. K series engines give pleasure of driving? Must be to folk upgrading from a trishaw. And even then I'm not sure.

How many went in the car??

Mr. Pericles,

Just READ THE QUESTION carefully. the originator of this post wanted a comparison between Viva elite and A-star. So please get back to that domain. compared to those two, I had posted my idea and "cooltempo" has raised his/her opinion. That's all.

And Mr. Pericles, I agree with you 100%. But not in this topic. neither A-Star or Viva do not give us "the driving pleasure" or "best pulling power". But regarding this specific post, I think A-Star is better option and that's why i posted such. As a person who played with Nissan Pulser, you may definitely find cars like A-star or Viva as crappies. But be mindful to keep the relevancy when you post.

BR

Kasun

How many went in the car??

Mr. Pericles,

Just READ THE QUESTION carefully. the originator of this post wanted a comparison between Viva elite and A-star. So please get back to that domain. compared to those two, I had posted my idea and "cooltempo" has raised his/her opinion. That's all.

And Mr. Pericles, I agree with you 100%. But not in this topic. neither A-Star or Viva do not give us "the driving pleasure" or "best pulling power". But regarding this specific post, I think A-Star is better option and that's why i posted such. As a person who played with Nissan Pulser, you may definitely find cars like A-star or Viva as crappies. But be mindful to keep the relevancy when you post.

BR

Kasun

Then its the Viva. I haven't driven it, but I have traveled in it, and it is better. And as a person who drove a Pulsar, I don't find Vivas crappy at all. Don't think the A-Star is complete crap either, just think it doesn't have any power. Definite issue when trying to overtake a bus. And a manual car with no tachometer doesn't appeal to me.

Also, the guy who bought that A-Star only bought it coz he needed the car quickly and couldn't wait on the list for the Elite, which was his actual choice.

Happy?

• Like 1

Then its the Viva. I haven't driven it, but I have traveled in it, and it is better. And as a person who drove a Pulsar, I don't find Vivas crappy at all. Don't think the A-Star is complete crap either, just think it doesn't have any power. Definite issue when trying to overtake a bus. And a manual car with no tachometer doesn't appeal to me.

Also, the guy who bought that A-Star only bought it coz he needed the car quickly and couldn't wait on the list for the Elite, which was his actual choice.

Happy?

Yeah ! Happy Coz now u are on the track...

• Like 1

In addition to that the vehicle control is very good and pulling power is great ... its is actually a bigger can than a VIVA and have good ground clearance

Even though it's looks bigger from outside, when come to back seat leg space is lesser than viva. And i also agree with ground clearance. By the way price and waiting time for A star is higer than viva. Better you go and try both before deciding.

I agree, the behind leg space is slightly less than Viva but not bad as an Alto or maruti.I suggest you to do a test drive in both cars and make decision. In my point of view I preferred A-star to a viva

regarding the waiting time, A*W delivered the car on the date they promised which is around 2 months.

y not try both hmm, test drive maybe :) only con i hv on the viva is the ground clearness but if you are a careful driver don't think this would be that much of an issue. quality wise too think viva is better. interior space was surprising for a small car specially the back.

end choice would be yours really... drive both, see what makes u feel comfortable in. B)

if there are owners of these two cars maybe they can tell you whats it like living with them

In 1960s European cars, we saw a badge saying AUTOMATIC

and in many 1980s Japanese cars we see the AUTOMATIC badge

Finally, in 2011, Maruti has decided to build an auto transmission car and now they are also flaunting the AUTOMATIC badge.

Expect all kinds of trouble with the Auto transmission coupled with the Maruti K-Series engine as the vehicle ages, cos Auto transmissions are very new to Maruti. If you *must* buy a A-Star, buy the manual transmission.

Edited by Crosswind

I agree, the behind leg space is slightly less than Viva but not bad as an Alto or maruti.I suggest you to do a test drive in both cars and make decision. In my point of view I preferred A-star to a viva

regarding the waiting time, A*W delivered the car on the date they promised which is around 2 months.

Wow seems your friend is very lucky. My uncle has ordered A-star last april and still not recieve it.

Edited by lasa

In 1960s European cars, we saw a badge saying AUTOMATIC

and in many 1980s Japanese cars we see the AUTOMATIC badge

Finally, in 2011, Maruti has decided to build an auto transmission car and now they are also flaunting the AUTOMATIC badge.

Expect all kinds of trouble with the Auto transmission coupled with the Maruti K-Series engine as the vehicle ages, cos Auto transmissions are very new to Maruti. If you *must* buy a A-Star, buy the manual transmission.

Dude, I don’t think Maruti has reinvented the auto box, remember Maruti is owned by Suzuki and to my knowledge A – Star is manufactured in India for worldwide distribution.

Only difference will be cars imported here will have different features and trim than that of European counterparts.

My B’in law has a Viva Elite and is overall a good car considering the price.

My advice take a hard look at both cars and decide based on your requirements and the premium price on the A-Star

Dude, I don’t think Maruti has reinvented the auto box, remember Maruti is owned by Suzuki and to my knowledge A – Star is manufactured in India for worldwide distribution.

If you use your logic, the Chinese didn't reinvent the motorcar either so they should be as good and reliable as a Toyota right?

• Like 1

I don't see why a "TOYOTA" manuafactured by Toyota Motor Corporation in China should be less reliable.

From what I know the A-Star auto gear box is manufacuted in Japan and not India hence the huge premium for the Auto box

Only difference will be cars imported here will have different features and trim than that of European counterparts.

My B’in law has a Viva Elite and is overall a good car considering the price.

My advice take a hard look at both cars and decide based on your requirements and the premium price on the A-Star

I don't see why a "TOYOTA" manuafactured by Toyota Motor Corporation in China should be less reliable.

From what I know the A-Star auto gear box is manufacuted in Japan and not India hence the huge premium for the Auto box

Do you have any idea at all, about what you are talking?

The Continental/Australasian versions of Maruti A-Star (badged as Suzuki Alto), comes with the 660 CC Japanese engine with the Japanese gearbox. Assembly is done in India. The South Asian version, which is badged Maruti/Suzuki A-Star comes with the Japanese auto box, coupled with Indian K-Series engine. There is a significant difference.

and according to your logic, Toyota Soluna (Manufactured by Toyota Motor Corporation in Thailand) should be as reliable as a Japanese made Corolla ryt?

A friend went ahead and bought paying little in excess of 1.9 mil. I personaly think there would be far more better options in the market a one can buy in that range, even brand new.

Found crappy build quality inside, especially the plastics used and imperfections in fitting them together. Being a hatchback, it didn't have the rear wiper and washer, which can be a headache as rear windshield of a hatch collects more dust and grit as oppose to a sedan. fuel economy: he's driving at 40 kmh constant and travels from Colombo to outside Colombo daily, claimed 17.2 km/l. Can expect lessor, if driven little aggressively in bumper to bumper.

Driving position was not friendly at all and didn't find any presence of steering height adjusters nor seat height adjusters. Auto is 300,000 more or so and agent themselves had advised my friend, not to go for it as coupling of the autobox with this K-series engine doesn't give a better combination for some reason, didn't bother searching what this reason is ;)

As far as I know 660cc is a Japan only. Global car has 1.0 L K10 engine.

The point I’m trying to drive at is the reliability of the gear box.

And for the comparison why don’t you compare bit more modern versions like Belta and Vios rather than living in 80s.

From what I know Toyota Soluna was not an unreliable car.

Most of the manufacturing / assembly plants are now directly owned by the car companies and not mere assembly operations under license.

Quality of workmanship has improved over the years as people like you and I demand them.

ok OP - Go for the Viva Elite. it has much more space and boot space. also the build quality is better than the A-Star

IMO the Viva elite is more Practical in day to life than a A-Star plus most of the components are Daihatsu (if im not mistaken)

therefore in few years time, the Viva will be more reliable than the A-Star. plus unlike the previous Malaysian cars

the Viva is in a different League,

performance wise, not in miles but the viva is better and stable.

so my advice go for the Viva.

Good Luck on your purchase :)

@Schiffer

I am sure that you have not driven an A-Star to make such comments. I think A-Star is way ahead of the elite. Astar is not a car which was built just for Indian and sri lankan customers,it is exported worldwide and there are very good comments in other international forums about this car,

@Schiffer

I am sure that you have not driven an A-Star to make such comments. I think A-Star is way ahead of the elite. Astar is not a car which was built just for Indian and sri lankan customers,it is exported worldwide and there are very good comments in other international forums about this car,

it's not the same version comes here. Lot of option stripped off and crap quality plastics, for close to 2.0 mil? auto 2.2 + ? not worth it

• Like 1

@Schiffer

So VIVA elite is not exported worldwide?

Also, you do know that export models...especially to european countries are in a different league than the ones get sent here.