• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Maruti Tops Local Car Market

azhar

Maruti tops local car market

Sri Lankan market for brand new automobiles is dominated by India’s Maruti as Maruti/Suzuki sold 1,373 cars in July 2011. According to data released by the Motor Vehicle Registration Department of Sri Lanka on average Maruti/Suzuki sold more than 1,100 units each month.

As per these data, Toyota is leading the re-conditioned or imported used car segment.

The best selling model was the ‘Alto’ which sold around 600 to 850 units a month. In July, 858 units were registered.

Malaysia’s Perodua and India’s Tata cars were a distant second selling about 200 units a month. In July, 175 Perodua cars and 177 Tata cars were registered. Tata started selling its ‘Nano’ in Sri Lanka recently. Tata registrations have shot up to 179 and 177 in June and July from a low from less than 20 a month up to May.

Among ‘reconditioned’ or used cars imported mainly from Japan, Toyota dominated, with more than 2,000 units being registered a month. But after May, when 2,368 Toyota’s were registered there has been a decline and accordingly only 1,705 in June and 1,316 in July have been registered. This drop has been resulted since rules of re-conditioned vehicle imports were tightened in April. This has resulted in a drop to 1,727 registrations in July from the peak of 3,110.

http://www.thebottomline.lk/2011/08/21/motorist6.html

Seat belts mandatory from October 1, 2001

The Sri Lankan government is to make seat belts mandatory for drivers and front seat passengers of motor vehicles from October 1.

The Transport Ministry gazette on the Motor Traffic (Seat Belts) regulations states that the regulations will also be applied to lorries and coaches that are registered after October 1.

People, who are less than 1.5 metres in height and with permanent disabilities are exempted from wearing seat belts. However, they are required to obtain a medical certificate to prove that they are unable to wear a seat belt.

According to the regulations, no person will be allowed to sell or offer for sale or have in his/her possession for sale, any vehicle which is not fitted with a body restraining seat belt once the law comes into effect.

http://www.thebottomline.lk/2011/08/21/motorist7.html

Maruti tops local car market

Sri Lankan market for brand new automobiles is dominated by India’s Maruti as Maruti/Suzuki sold 1,373 cars in July 2011. According to data released by the Motor Vehicle Registration Department of Sri Lanka on average Maruti/Suzuki sold more than 1,100 units each month.

As per these data, Toyota is leading the re-conditioned or imported used car segment.

The best selling model was the ‘Alto’ which sold around 600 to 850 units a month. In July, 858 units were registered.

Malaysia’s Perodua and India’s Tata cars were a distant second selling about 200 units a month. In July, 175 Perodua cars and 177 Tata cars were registered. Tata started selling its ‘Nano’ in Sri Lanka recently. Tata registrations have shot up to 179 and 177 in June and July from a low from less than 20 a month up to May.

Among ‘reconditioned’ or used cars imported mainly from Japan, Toyota dominated, with more than 2,000 units being registered a month. But after May, when 2,368 Toyota’s were registered there has been a decline and accordingly only 1,705 in June and 1,316 in July have been registered. This drop has been resulted since rules of re-conditioned vehicle imports were tightened in April. This has resulted in a drop to 1,727 registrations in July from the peak of 3,110.

http://www.thebottomline.lk/2011/08/21/motorist6.html

Seat belts mandatory from October 1, 2001

The Sri Lankan government is to make seat belts mandatory for drivers and front seat passengers of motor vehicles from October 1.

The Transport Ministry gazette on the Motor Traffic (Seat Belts) regulations states that the regulations will also be applied to lorries and coaches that are registered after October 1.

People, who are less than 1.5 metres in height and with permanent disabilities are exempted from wearing seat belts. However, they are required to obtain a medical certificate to prove that they are unable to wear a seat belt.

According to the regulations, no person will be allowed to sell or offer for sale or have in his/her possession for sale, any vehicle which is not fitted with a body restraining seat belt once the law comes into effect.

http://www.thebottomline.lk/2011/08/21/motorist7.html

'azhar',

Indian maruti I use it is a very good vehicle I think one day Indian vehicles will dominate Srilanka market. Chinese vehicles will too play a good role as Indian vehicles. Biggest problem china has is conversion to RHD their vehicles if not they offer small vans we have to buy 100 units at a time small vans little bigger than Japanese batta vans with 900cc engines for US 6000.00.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

the only reason Maruti is being sold is because of its price.

not because there are wonderful vehicles.

Sigh indeed..

I think fuel efficency also play a big part. Thats the main reason maruti goes for higher price with less options and comfort.

Members,

Today there are lot of small timers middle class who has cash below 2M Rupees with them they cannot effort any vehicle more than that and they like to buy a new vehicle within what they can effort so they go for Indian Maruti.

lot of retired persons had come for my advice to buy a vehicle with their EPF to present to the family. I always advice to buy a new vehicle within their limits.

I bought a Maruti because the vehicle is small. Maintenance cost is very is less than a Japanese vehicle India had made very high number of Maruti vehicles and they have perfected the technology to their standards may be old. Spares are available with the agents if not there are couriers who bring them down to Srilanka daily.

This is my opinion this can differ from person to person.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

Today there are lot of small timers middle class who has cash below 2M Rupees with them they cannot effort any vehicle more than that and they like to buy a new vehicle within what they can effort so they go for Indian Maruti.

lot of retired persons had come for my advice to buy a vehicle with their EPF to present to the family. I always advice to buy a new vehicle within their limits.

I bought a Maruti because the vehicle is small. Maintenance cost is very is less than a Japanese vehicle India had made very high number of Maruti vehicles and they have perfected the technology to their standards may be old. Spares are available with the agents if not there are couriers who bring them down to Srilanka daily.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

"Maintenance cost is very is less"

How are you so sure? you have only driven yours for 500 km or something right?

"Maruti vehicles and they have perfected the technology to their standards may be old"

What does that even mean? I don't even know.

Weren't you promoting your crappy chinese van a few months ago? Now that you bought a maruti you are speaking of them as if they are a top-of-the-line.

You may think marutis are great, but, that is your OPINION based on driving it for only 5k. The fact is that the are poorly built and outdated and will not match up to a used jap import that's a few years older.

• Like 1

Members,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

you can buy a Viva Elite, Auto for 1.8million... far better designed, far superior car to a maruti.

maruti's are renowned for crappy brakes, crappy AC, very poorly designed interior space making it a very uncomfortable car for long trips.

the only pros are the low initial purchase cost, possibly higher ground clearance and fuel efficiency.

I had a friend who had to replace the pistons after about 4-5 years of usage. car was mostly driven in colombo and maintained at the agents without skimping on anything.

Topping the local car market is no surprice given the utter idiotic logic our local car buyers operate in...

just because maruti topped the local brand new car market does not make it a great car...

• Like 1

just like to add a point here,

Maruti (A*W) has the Worst customer Care any car dealer can ever provide

and with marketing tactics like that.

im not surprised of the what kind of brainless people who are willing to buy Maruti's

and i can agree with 'dude' on this one. micro will beat Maruti's in the next couple of years.

Members,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

You need to think like this Sylvi. Replacing a part might be cheaper than replacing an equivalent part in a Jap vehicle. But how often would you be replacing that part over 5 years ownership compared to a Jap? How many parts would you have to replace in 5 year period compared to a competitor?

In this case, is the maintenance still lower?

You need to think like this Sylvi. Replacing a part might be cheaper than replacing an equivalent part in a Jap vehicle. But how often would you be replacing that part over 5 years ownership compared to a Jap? How many parts would you have to replace in 5 year period compared to a competitor?

In this case, is the maintenance still lower?

Pointless trying to convince him. His ignorance makes him think a history lesson makes ones an expert on the field. Didnt he ramble the same crap about his Chinese van saying "all parts can be replaced with Japanese parts yada yada yada" "so buy chinese vans yada yada".

..................................Maruti (A*W) has the Worst customer Care any car dealer can ever provide............................................

I used have the best after sales service from A*W for my Wagon R. (However their accident repair was a different story)

maruti's are renowned for crappy brakes, crappy AC, very poorly designed interior space making it a very uncomfortable car for long trips.

Should be corrected as "maruti 800s are renowned for crappy brakes, crappy AC, very poorly designed interior space making it a very uncomfortable car for long trips."

Please do not use the word Maruti interchangeably to call a Maruti 800 and the entire Maruti range.

I used have the best after sales service from A*W for my Wagon R. (However their accident repair was a different story)

well sometime back my mom used a Alto, and they treated us like beggers at that time

and a smiler story happend when we went to check out a A-Star and a Zen Estylo for a neighbor

recently, i had to shout at the Salesman to get Attention.