• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Piaggio Or Tvs Or Bajaj, Which One ?

rsuren

Be cautious about the policy decissions to be made, specially around Colombo City, not to allow three wheelers in. As I've seen in recent past, the policy decissions were aiming towards restricting, limiting importing and using three wheelers. Two stroke engine ban, enforcing better safety standards (one side to permenantly block from entering/exiting from the three wheeler) and tax hikes and now not allowing three wheelers in Colombo city limits in the near future.

In terms of safety, you have to think not twice but many many times as I've seen terrible accidents at very low speeds during busy and slow moving traffic. End of the day, your life worths more than few litres of fuel, to your family and loved ones.

If you can stretch your budget to at least to a mini van, go for it.

Best to consider the future restrictions as Harshan said. There is a lot of momentum to ban Tri-shaws completely, at least initially from the Colombo metropolitan area. The idea has been lobbied at the top most level of the state but delayed due to some other policies which goes counter to the same - but it will happen sooner or later.

Your opinion will widely vary on this matter, but in my personal opinion, this was a direct result of the inability of these machines to move along with the rest of the traffic and inability of majority of 'hire' three-wheel drivers to conform to road rules and etiquette. Taken as a combination, this is possibly the worst offense/obstacle to Colombo's traffic movement.

So I think it's best to weigh the cons of restrictions and safety against the pros of agility, affordability and economy in your purchase. Social stigma is something you can forget, if you hv a thick enough skin.

Anyway back to the topic, Thank you guys for your replys, i also heard the same. but i think they will ban the hire Tri-shaws in colombo and not the ones in personal use. and i think they will ban outstation Tri-shaws from entering colombo. plus there is still no proper solution available for this, nano cabs are expensive for Tri-shaws drivers to buy, and there is around 50K Tri-shaws in or enter Colombo daily i think, so they will put a protest.

any comments ??

Anyway back to the topic, Thank you guys for your replys, i also heard the same. but i think they will ban the hire Tri-shaws in colombo and not the ones in personal use. and i think they will ban outstation Tri-shaws from entering colombo. plus there is still no proper solution available for this, nano cabs are expensive for Tri-shaws drivers to buy, and there is around 50K Tri-shaws in or enter Colombo daily i think, so they will put a protest.

any comments ??

This policy decision is aiming at three wheelers per say due to various reasons including uplifting the standards. This won't treat the same vehicle category in different ways. Since you mentioned, i find nano cabs prices including the starting fee is very very tempting and goes close to of thee wheel charges.

Awww,Sylvi sir has his own fan club...cute aney. :party:

'MasterDon',

Thank for your comment. I do not want any recognition in this forum I only write what I know and my experiences working with my hands. I have already pass my Knowledge to a deserved person in future he will carry on what I am specialized and do to the motoring community.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

'MasterDon',

Thank for your comment. I do not want any recognition in this forum I only write what I know and my experiences working with my hands.

do you not understand the concept of sarcasm?

I have already pass my Knowledge to a deserved person in future he will carry on what I am specialized and do to the motoring community.

Another one like you? we're screwed.

Edited by jdnet

Members,

Today Lankadeepa papers had advertised a new model of three wheeler SAZGAR made in Pakistan. It should be good three wheeler they inform as water cooled engine. I do not know three people can be accommodated comfortably in rear seat like the Diesel APE three wheeler which has more space than all others in Srilanka.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

What about Mahindra Alfa?

'yasas_bandara',

Mahindra Alfa was there for few years in India In Srilanka I think only about 1 year or more if you use same in Colombo it is OK for spare and service. The show room is very close to my home if you are rely interested about specs I personally will go there and get all specs. Will try to compare rear seating arrangement as I find in my Bajaj 3 people cannot go comfortably not like Piaggo. Bajaj has rear seating space only 45 Inches.Piago has about 58 inches rear seating space.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi, if you have a moment it would be lovely to get some input from you as to what these three-wheelers are actually like to drive. Are they physically demanding? My only three-wheel experience is from driving a Matchless and side-car and I recollet riding that as quite a struggle! Half the time the bike was in control, the other half, the chair had command!

Sylvi, if you have a moment it would be lovely to get some input from you as to what these three-wheelers are actually like to drive. Are they physically demanding? My only three-wheel experience is from driving a Matchless and side-car and I recollet riding that as quite a struggle! Half the time the bike was in control, the other half, the chair had command!

Scooter,

I was out of Colombo will visit the said three wheeler show room and give you a feed back. Three wheeler ride is not comfortable.

Piaggio three wheeler Detonation is terrible your hole body will be painful if you go for few hundred Kms.

Seats are not comfortable all owners of Diesel tree wheelers have modified seats with soft rubber. For you best is the Bajaj as the spares availability around Srilanka and re sale value.Will post my comments of Mahendra by Monday.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Scooter,

I had a look at the Mahindra Alfa three wheeler the cost is 425000.00 you have to pay 100000.00 first then they will arrange finance for the balance 36 months installments rupees 12000.00 or close to that at the end of three years you will pay more than 500000.00 Rupees. Vehicle have little more space in rear seat more than Bajaj three wheeler rear seat I think thee people can sit on same. good finish cannot complain Gears 4 forward 1 reverse 395 CC engine it is left for you to decide your three wheeler.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Scooter,

I had a look at the Mahindra Alfa three wheeler the cost is 425000.00 you have to pay 100000.00 first then they will arrange finance for the balance 36 months installments rupees 12000.00 or close to that at the end of three years you will pay more than 500000.00 Rupees. Vehicle have little more space in rear seat more than Bajaj three wheeler rear seat I think thee people can sit on same. good finish cannot complain Gears 4 forward 1 reverse 395 CC engine it is left for you to decide your three wheeler.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

what is the mileage you can expect sylvi.......25kmpl :unsure: ....does it have Radio cassette player as in the tricar.....maybe tht is also a good option for him.

what is the mileage you can expect sylvi.......25kmpl :unsure: ....does it have Radio cassette player as in the tricar.....maybe tht is also a good option for him.

'rameez',

The three wheeler I saw in the show room did not have a Radio This type of engines Diesel single cylinder definitely do more than 35 to 40 Kms/Liter. I do not know the spare part availability in future I know one importer in Negambo road near Kandana got down few of Indian Diesel three wheelers and Chinese Vehicles did not do any satisfactory service and no spare parts that 3W failed in Srilanka.I too was a victim of going to try out a Chinese vehicle they did not have proper after market service my lost on that vehicle was more than 1M Rupees Manage to get rid of same for .45M Rupees.If you go for any Vehicle must go for Popular one with a good agent who has the ability to provide proper after market service with good stock of spares in Srilanka.This is the reason I said to go in for Bajaj which is very well established and we have enough trained mechanics for any repair.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

• 4 years later...

Hello everyone,

What a valuable thread, I thank each and everyone of you for the valuable contributions. However it seems a bit old back in 2011 and I found only another thread about three wheelers but that is not totally relating to what I'm going to ask so thought of picking this old thread instead. (The new one: http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/17766-how-much-you-paying-for-three-wheelers-reflect-of-the-issue-of-public-transportation/)

I'm also considering to buy a three wheeler to be used in Colombo as it has come to a point that I hate driving cars in Colombo now. Also what I though of using it for hires when I'm using it for my journeys and also in the days I'm not working and if it turned out good might even do it part-time.

So just to highlight the major concerns discussed in this thread so far;

1. They will soon restrict or ban three wheelers at least in Colombo

We were discussing it back in 2011, and now its 2016 and although there are some effort to restrict buying three wheelers from tax increases I don't think this will happen anytime soon unless they came out with some proper public transport system to Colombo such as underground/over ground metros etc. Also they won't ban it as there are many people depending on it as their daily income to run their families and without finding some solution to that it is unlikely that any government will ban it. But they will come up with rules to make it less affecting the traffic such as the driving in the left lane which we have now etc. So I say this is not something that I or anyone who has a three wheeler should worry.

2. Safety

Yes, safety issue is there but if someone drives it very carefully, at low speeds through the traffic, one can minimize the chances of such accidents although you can not totally avoid it. I see most accidents are caused by the errors of three wheel drivers themselves such as not looking before quickly turning, stopping all of a sudden when they see a hire etc.

Although I'm aware of these would like further comments on these as to see your viewpoints now.

The other thing is now that the taxes for three wheelers are sky rocketed and the price for a 4 stroke Bajaj is Rs. 664,950. 00 as per http://www.dpmco.com/ site.

So if I buy one soon paying this much will there be a high chance that the government will re-consider these tax increases and drop it or reduce it as they did for electric cars early this year as lot of people made a noise about it but I guess those were the car sale owners etc who made their voice heard but in this case I doubt there is someone who can make it coming from three wheel section.

My questions as I'm totally new to three wheelers and hires.

1. I decided if I go for a one it will be the new Bajaj 4 stroke. Is it good?

2. Any idea about the finance help I can get for this not paying all upfront?

3. Will I be able to drive it out of the showroom as it is? Or do I have to do the roof etc myself?

4. I have a license to drive cars and motor bikes now but do I need to take another class for three wheelers? If so how can I get it done, through a learners school? How long the process will be and will I have to sit down for written exams again? The license I have now was taken in 2001.

5. Once bought can I do hires as I wish or do I have to get another license to do hires.

6. For highers whats the best place to get a taxi meter and where to fix it? Also where to get stickers such as 'Meter Taxi'

7. What are the places with good mechanics to do repairs and services?

8. For not getting wet from rain, are there any better options than loosely hanging tent clothes from both sides?

9. Any idea about the regular services and the maintenance side of it?

10. Other than fixing doors any security advice to make it harder to steal if I had to park it for a while? May be a secret switch to cut off electricity?

I know there are lot of questions, but I appreciate your help on this as this will help me and will be helpful for others who wish to do the same.

Thank you all in advance

Have a nice day

01. Better than 2-stroke, much easier on steep inclines.

02. Possible, you have to speak with finance companies / banks yourself, you will need bank statements, provable income, guarantors etc.

03. Yes. the roof is done.

04. You will need to take another class for "threewheelers". You wouldn't have to re-write the written exam if you already sat for it once, but since you got your license back in 2001 I'm not sure. Call 1919 (government information centre) to get more details.

05. No extra license required, but if you partner with companies like "PickMe", you will have to use their own metering system. Plus, no one would take a newcomer to their "threewheel park" as I heard, so you have to start small.

06. Stickers available at many deco shops.

07. Considering the number of threewheels available in Sri Lanka, there are plenty and the repairs will be easy to tackle.

08. Its a threewheeler, no other option unless you change the body itself and mount shutter glasses on either side.

09. Should be on the cheaper side.

10. None that I know of, as I heard a threewheel can be easily started without the key as the wires going to the ignition are visible.

• Like 1

Machan, if you want to buy a three wheeler, go to ANY leasing yard. PLC Maradana is a good example.

There are literally thousands of nearly new three wheelers in those yards because there are too many ppl in this country who mortgage their testicles to buy vehicles (yes, more people buy three wheelers than cars) and a month later, they find that they can't keep up with the lease payments,

I also suggest joining Budget/Fair Taxi or PickMe. Don't get in to a three wheel park scene and lose your manhood.

Generally people don't steal the whole vehicle in Sri Lanka. They steal batteries and the spare wheel off three wheelers. So fix padlocks for both. I know of an incident near my home where someone stole the spare wheel AND the two rear wheels of a three wheeler and left the bloody thing on 'kota uda'.

• Like 1

01. Better than 2-stroke, much easier on steep inclines.

02. Possible, you have to speak with finance companies / banks yourself, you will need bank statements, provable income, guarantors etc.

03. Yes. the roof is done.

04. You will need to take another class for "threewheelers". You wouldn't have to re-write the written exam if you already sat for it once, but since you got your license back in 2001 I'm not sure. Call 1919 (government information centre) to get more details.

05. No extra license required, but if you partner with companies like "PickMe", you will have to use their own metering system. Plus, no one would take a newcomer to their "threewheel park" as I heard, so you have to start small.

06. Stickers available at many deco shops.

07. Considering the number of threewheels available in Sri Lanka, there are plenty and the repairs will be easy to tackle.

08. Its a threewheeler, no other option unless you change the body itself and mount shutter glasses on either side.

09. Should be on the cheaper side.

10. None that I know of, as I heard a threewheel can be easily started without the key as the wires going to the ignition are visible.

Thank you so much maxxarox for taking your valuable time to help me and for the valuable information. I found it very helpful, thanks a lot again I really appreciate it.

Machan, if you want to buy a three wheeler, go to ANY leasing yard. PLC Maradana is a good example.

There are literally thousands of nearly new three wheelers in those yards because there are too many ppl in this country who mortgage their testicles to buy vehicles (yes, more people buy three wheelers than cars) and a month later, they find that they can't keep up with the lease payments,

I also suggest joining Budget/Fair Taxi or PickMe. Don't get in to a three wheel park scene and lose your manhood.

Generally people don't steal the whole vehicle in Sri Lanka. They steal batteries and the spare wheel off three wheelers. So fix padlocks for both. I know of an incident near my home where someone stole the spare wheel AND the two rear wheels of a three wheeler and left the bloody thing on 'kota uda'.

Thank you so much Crosswind for taking your valuable time to help me and for the valuable information. I found it very helpful, thanks a lot again I really appreciate it. I will visit them soon and if there is a considerable gap between buying a brand new one and one from a leasing yard I will definitely consider buying a from a leasing yard. Please do share if you have any tips to check when buying a used one as I'm totally new to three wheelers.

Thank you so much Crosswind for taking your valuable time to help me and for the valuable information. I found it very helpful, thanks a lot again I really appreciate it. I will visit them soon and if there is a considerable gap between buying a brand new one and one from a leasing yard I will definitely consider buying a from a leasing yard. Please do share if you have any tips to check when buying a used one as I'm totally new to three wheelers.

Check carefully the chassis (they call it as "Y") whether it has improper bent or welding joints. Most ppl abuse three wheeler and in other words 'patta gahanawa'. Some time ago a three wheeler tinker lived next to my residence. So I have seen number of abused three wheelers and how he hide those things while tinkering/painting. I am sorry, I dont have much about to tell the engine/mechanical things to check.

I hope you will follow road rules and regulations when you ride it. Like to see a gentlemen rider on the drivers seat. Wish you will not be a typical tuk-tuk guy.

Good luck !!!

Check carefully the chassis (they call it as "Y") whether it has improper bent or welding joints. Most ppl abuse three wheeler and in other words 'patta gahanawa'. Some time ago a three wheeler tinker lived next to my residence. So I have seen number of abused three wheelers and how he hide those things while tinkering/painting. I am sorry, I dont have much about to tell the engine/mechanical things to check.

I hope you will follow road rules and regulations when you ride it. Like to see a gentlemen rider on the drivers seat. Wish you will not be a typical tuk-tuk guy.

Good luck !!!

Thank you so much Kusumsiri for taking your valuable time to help me and for the valuable information. No I can't possibly put my self in to that position, would like to be an example of how it can be done the better way. So if I ever bought one I will be the odd took took guy driving it like a car :D but only in left lane. I can imagine how other took took drivers honking me, scolding me and laughing at me, but I will let them do all that. One with a slight brain will see what I'm doing and learn something from it.

• Like 2

since the gov is not in a hurry to ban these nuisance from the road..why not take action to increase their turning circle :speechless-smiley-019:..like mechanically limit steering ?literary these things have a turning circle of a human :sport-smiley-004: this is the main contributor for their public stunts

• Like 1