• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Piaggio Or Tvs Or Bajaj, Which One ?

rsuren

Hello guys,

after doing some searching in AL forum, it seems there is nothing about 3 wheelers in here, so i'm starting this topic,

i was planning for a mini van but after looking at there fuel economy(13 KMPL in Colombo), i thought it was not enough since i plan to travel a lot at start but my fuel budget wont permit it. and yes, bike is not a option for me, so the next thing available is "3 Wheels", which gives great fuel economy and less cost to maintain.

In Sri Lanka there are 3 main players 1. Bajaj Auto, 2. TVS King, and Piaggio ape city.

I plan to use it for personal use going to work, classes and some other places.

I thought of going for the Piaggio Ape city which is diesel and runs upto 40 KM Per Liter. but like any diesel engine it makes a lot of noise.

so i need your advice for the following:

1. becoz of the noise will someone complain if i take it out at night times like after 9PM, or take it out early like 4 AM from home, or come home late at nights.

2. since autos have no doors, there are easy to steal, so if i park and go , how to protect it.

3. should i go for a petrol auto like TVS King which is advanced in technology, but offers less 25 KMPL.

4. isn't it possible to install some sound dampers around the engine ??

5. and if i go to high level places like "water edge",Taj or to some big company , they will think i'm a hire auto driver, which might be problem at some places.

6. other hire auto drivers might think i'm one of them waiting for hires, and might put a fight when i try to park.

so what kind of advises you guys have for me ??

i'm asking this here because some of you might own one, or might know about them, so you could advice me on the above??

thank you,

suren

Interesting topic. Suren. And you're right. there doesn't seem to be a lot of stuff around on the web about actually owning and drivng these things. There' a bit, but not much.

There' a picture here

http://www.lankaland.com/h306-ofen/index.htm

of a threewheeler in private use in SL, with "NOT 4 HIRE" neatly stencilled across the engine-lid. Don't know if that's a common approach.

Lack of doors reminds me of my Mini-Moke days when a large chain around the steering wheel and a cut-out switch on the fuel-pump sorta kept the buggers away.

Can anyone post about what it's like to drive one of these vehicles?

Interesting topic. Suren. And you're right. there doesn't seem to be a lot of stuff around on the web about actually owning and drivng these things. There' a bit, but not much.

There' a picture here

http://www.lankaland.com/h3062-ofen/index.htm

of a threewheeler in private use in SL, with "NOT 4 HIRE" neatly stencilled across the engine-lid. Don't know if that's a common approach.

Lack of doors reminds me of my Mini-Moke days when a large chain around the steering wheel and a cut-out switch on the fuel-pump sorta kept the buggers away.

Can anyone post about what it's like to drive one of these vehicles?

This is either some ultra-hardcore gurilla marketing or you got a VERY strange sense of memory :D

But yeah, there's nothing WRONG in driving a three-wheeler. The only reason for it to NOT be good is if you have an ego that can be easily bruised by what someone on the road neighborhood thinks. Frankly if motorcycle was too small ad a car was too big/expensive i'd go for this!

And hey what if someone flags you down; If the destination is on your way or not too far out you can actually make a hire out of it. And while your neighbors in their Allions are complaining about how little "kmpl" they get, you can gloat about how much "$$pl" you make on your way to work and back :D

• Like 2

Be cautious about the policy decissions to be made, specially around Colombo City, not to allow three wheelers in. As I've seen in recent past, the policy decissions were aiming towards restricting, limiting importing and using three wheelers. Two stroke engine ban, enforcing better safety standards (one side to permenantly block from entering/exiting from the three wheeler) and tax hikes and now not allowing three wheelers in Colombo city limits in the near future.

In terms of safety, you have to think not twice but many many times as I've seen terrible accidents at very low speeds during busy and slow moving traffic. End of the day, your life worths more than few litres of fuel, to your family and loved ones.

If you can stretch your budget to at least to a mini van, go for it.

• Like 1

Be cautious about the policy decissions to be made, specially around Colombo City, not to allow three wheelers in. As I've seen in recent past, the policy decissions were aiming towards restricting, limiting importing and using three wheelers. Two stroke engine ban, enforcing better safety standards (one side to permenantly block from entering/exiting from the three wheeler) and tax hikes and now not allowing three wheelers in Colombo city limits in the near future.

In terms of safety, you have to think not twice but many many times as I've seen terrible accidents at very low speeds during busy and slow moving traffic. End of the day, your life worths more than few litres of fuel, to your family and loved ones.

If you can stretch your budget to at least to a mini van, go for it.

In my Hometown, I have a 3 wheeler at my home and that is a the new TVS model and quite good. My uncle is using this entire family matters, comfortable, less noice, good for day to day activities like going to the market, bus stand, railway station, going for a quick shopping etc, visit short distance relatives, easy to park in crouded town.

Piaggio is too noicy and not comfortable at all, hard to drive even. but you get bigger space in the back.

Bajaj, 4 stroke one seems ok. comfy and less noice. Easy to handle.

just my point of view <_<

Hello guys,

after doing some searching in AL forum, it seems there is nothing about 3 wheelers in here, so i'm starting this topic,

i was planning for a mini van but after looking at there fuel economy(13 KMPL in Colombo), i thought it was not enough since i plan to travel a lot at start but my fuel budget wont permit it. and yes, bike is not a option for me, so the next thing available is "3 Wheels", which gives great fuel economy and less cost to maintain.

In Sri Lanka there are 3 main players 1. Bajaj Auto, 2. TVS King, and Piaggio ape city.

I plan to use it for personal use going to work, classes and some other places.

I thought of going for the Piaggio Ape city which is diesel and runs upto 40 KM Per Liter. but like any diesel engine it makes a lot of noise.

so i need your advice for the following:

1. becoz of the noise will someone complain if i take it out at night times like after 9PM, or take it out early like 4 AM from home, or come home late at nights.

2. since autos have no doors, there are easy to steal, so if i park and go , how to protect it.

3. should i go for a petrol auto like TVS King which is advanced in technology, but offers less 25 KMPL.

4. isn't it possible to install some sound dampers around the engine ??

5. and if i go to high level places like "water edge",Taj or to some big company , they will think i'm a hire auto driver, which might be problem at some places.

6. other hire auto drivers might think i'm one of them waiting for hires, and might put a fight when i try to park.

so what kind of advises you guys have for me ??

i'm asking this here because some of you might own one, or might know about them, so you could advice me on the above??

thank you,

suren

'rsuren',

Yes you are correct no posts according to my knowledge about three wheelers early on this forum.

I use a Bajaj which i bought for my private use and there is a board on the T/W to say private in red letters new from R/P from the very fist day I have all records of the said T/W 11 months old done only 4000Km done three services changing oil and filters I had carburetor block due to bad fuel few weeks ago. I always pump fuel from Next to Prime ministers office at flower road Fuel station which is very close to the place where I live.This Vehicle is used mostly for marketing and for my professional work as I do mobile service.

I get in Colombo town running only 23to 26 Km/L last Friday this three wheeler was taken by oneof my worker to his village which is 202 KM away when he pumped fuel at the end of his trip up and down in all he had got 35Km/L he never traveled fast always under 40 Kms due to speed guns was operating on the way.Load up was two people and a very heavy about 400 Kgs wood working machine which is removed so that can be accommodated inside the vehicle.

For last number of years I have bought 4 numbers Three wheelers all 4 stroke. One is used for hiring by a user I have lost contact of him as he is avoiding me due to some financial matters. Other two one had done also private use more than 25000Km other one also private use done 15000Km. According to the above users they inform me cost for running Km is around 10.00 rupees all inclusive.

Engines are very good not much of noise above said two T/Ws do regular service Tyre wastage is not that much one T/W which had done more than 25000km still tires are good.

Repairs are cheap compare to a 4 wheel vehicle lot of mechanics are there and spares are available cheap.

For safety you can fix up two doors on either sides like UPS have few T/Ws. They are using for their parcel delivery service which can be locked can see them black color running on Colombo roads.

Very economical vehicle if you decide a 3 wheeler go for a Bajaj do not go for any others as you will find difficult to sell the vehicle when it is not of any use for you.

Bajaj three wheeler name is very well established for 25years or more in Srilanka you pay small amount like 50000.00 Rupees and get a finance.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Unkel, your advice is good, but I have another concern.

Your quality of "queen's engish" is crap. And no I'm not talking about typos you make since you "type very fast", but its like you just type out phrases as they come to your mind rather than form sentences. Maybe its a medical situation. Please get some medical help. It might be minor symptoms of ADD.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Hello guys,

thank you for the valuable input, but please keep it to the topic, please.

presently one thing has my mind which is piaggio ape city KMPL. diesel(Rs.75/=) and runs upto 40 KM Per Liter.

but it has no second hand value or resell. but what keeps me in piaggio is that. it's my first vehicle and so i might drive a very lot around Sri Lanka.

so the KMPL given by this vehicle might be manageable for me. i think all of you had the same problem when you started to drive, you drive a lot at first becoz it's fun at first and when you start to realize it's too late, all kinds of bills come in and your over budget.

some say if i pump super diesel into the auto. it might make little less noise and vibration. is it true ??

Thank you,

suren.

Hello guys,

thank you for the valuable input, but please keep it to the topic, please.

presently one thing has my mind which is piaggio ape city KMPL. diesel(Rs.75/=) and runs upto 40 KM Per Liter.

but it has no second hand value or resell. but what keeps me in piaggio is that. it's my first vehicle and so i might drive a very lot around Sri Lanka.

so the KMPL given by this vehicle might be manageable for me. i think all of you had the same problem when you started to drive, you drive a lot at first becoz it's fun at first and when you start to realize it's too late, all kinds of bills come in and your over budget.

some say if i pump super diesel into the auto. it might make little less noise and vibration. is it true ??

Thank you,

suren.

Dude, if you want a Piaggio, go for it, but if you think you're gonna drive it a lot coz its fun.... well, you never know, different people have different ideas of what is fun. Whatever floats your boat dude.

Got to disapoint, Watchman, but ain't up to selling anything! :D The Mokes long gone anyway. My strange memories of that include buzzing down the M1 in the middle of freezing Winter with the snow edging up the windscreen and in under the hood - horror, let me tell u! - and the delight of staggering out of the pub at midnight to find some of the lads had picked the car up, positioned it tightly between 2 pillars and the buggered off to leave me to it! What fun, not!

These little 3-wheelers really sound a hoot. Never driven one but love to have a go. There's a happy driving report from South Africa where the Baja reviewer writes:

"If I could choose any vehicle to be used as a Transformer robot, this would definitely be my first choice. How cool would that be, or that bee? And admit it, just like me, you're dying to drive the thing aren't you?

That was my first impression ­ what a thing, it's bound to be a foul if not terrible experience to ride, or drive, depending on how you class this vehicle. It is after all, just a trike. Well, in all my years of being a scribbler for bike magazines I have never been more wrong. The Bajaj RE 4S is absolutely brilliant and, I reckon, worth every cent of its R29,995 price tag. Every household should have one because you'll never giggle so much in your life, at least not while on the move. Leaning out of the side of this autorickshaw asking anyone if they'd like an ice cream, chocolate, or soft drink is a thoroughly enjoyable, if completely pointless experience."

He seemed to like it!

Full review at:

http://www.superiorcycles.co.za/page163.html

Now, how about a 500cc twin from a bike slipped into the back of the tuktuk? Wheeeeeeeeeeee....

Dude, if you want a Piaggio, go for it, but if you think you're gonna drive it a lot coz its fun.... well, you never know, different people have different ideas of what is fun. Whatever floats your boat dude.

What i meant is Driving is fun(like driving a toyota Corolla) and NOT Driving a Piaggio is FUN.

Best to consider the future restrictions as Harshan said. There is a lot of momentum to ban Tri-shaws completely, at least initially from the Colombo metropolitan area. The idea has been lobbied at the top most level of the state but delayed due to some other policies which goes counter to the same - but it will happen sooner or later.

Your opinion will widely vary on this matter, but in my personal opinion, this was a direct result of the inability of these machines to move along with the rest of the traffic and inability of majority of 'hire' three-wheel drivers to conform to road rules and etiquette. Taken as a combination, this is possibly the worst offense/obstacle to Colombo's traffic movement.

So I think it's best to weigh the cons of restrictions and safety against the pros of agility, affordability and economy in your purchase. Social stigma is something you can forget, if you hv a thick enough skin.

So maybe, V, we're seeing the end of the threewheelers in the city in the next few years. Be a big change, eh?

There's a delightful clip on Youtube at:

showing Colombo and Colombo traffic in 1976. Not a trishaw to be seen. And I think I could only see a a couple of two wheelers. So when did the trishaws and the motorbikes really come on to the city streets?

The vehicle park on the clip has some real memories - A40s, Imps, Minors, were a few I could identify - and I think I glimpsed a Dormobile buzzing along! Different city now!!!

• Like 1

Unkel, your advice is good, but I have another concern.

Your quality of "queen's engish" is crap. And no I'm not talking about typos you make since you "type very fast", but its like you just type out phrases as they come to your mind rather than form sentences. Maybe its a medical situation. Please get some medical help. It might be minor symptoms of ADD.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Watchman, why do you pick on an elderly gentleman ? If you find what he writes irritating, just ignore it, but particularly as Sri Lankans I'd like to think we were taught good manners by our parents and then at school (something I find sadly lacking in Europe).

Also this is a forum, people aren't always going to agree or enjoy reading other people's posts. But we need to respect others right to be able to express their views as long as its not derogatory, inflammatory or libellous.

Sorry Watchman, did not mean to single you out, but I've noted a lot of this happen not only with regards to Sylvi but other users and I must say I find it more concerning, than the immature comments left by others who obviously have little or no perspective about that they are talking about.

• Like 4

Watchman, why do you pick on an elderly gentleman ? If you find what he writes irritating, just ignore it, but particularly as Sri Lankans I'd like to think we were taught good manners by our parents and then at school (something I find sadly lacking in Europe).

Also this is a forum, people aren't always going to agree or enjoy reading other people's posts. But we need to respect others right to be able to express their views as long as its not derogatory, inflammatory or libellous.

Sorry Watchman, did not mean to single you out, but I've noted a lot of this happen not only with regards to Sylvi but other users and I must say I find it more concerning, than the immature comments left by others who obviously have little or no perspective about that they are talking about.

+1, Good for the future. :appl:

• Like 1

Thought to add something as we had a Bajaj 2 stroke for family use back in 1998 (a 204 - rego). When we thought to get a vehicle for family use back in the days for our budget at that time we thought to go for a VW beetle and I always loved them as a kid but the age of the car and the fuel cost made my dad change his mind and go for the Bajaj. Since it was a private use vehicle he got the numbers written in white on a black back ground (I think that is an indication in the old number system to differentiate vehicles used for private and public purposes). At the beginning I hated it for obvious social reasons and refused to travel in it too but as time passed got used to it. I felt quite ashamed as my dad looked like a three wheeler driver and I hated to be spotted travelling in it by any girls. When I turned 18 and got my D class for the bike I also did the E class and got my 3W one too. Sisnce we did not live in Colombo it was not that bad but the only thing I hated was mixing oil when pumping petrol. We never had any major issues and it was very reliable as well.

Only major issue is safty. These things are horrible in that department and very easy to topple at high speeds. (I managed to do it once trying to do a U going very fast. I know, a very stupid thing!) another issue is you cannot lock it and it looks quite odd to go in a 3W for a function. I would say avoid it as much as you can but I do understand you wan't to minimise your fuel costs. In 2009 I met a family who used a Piaggio as a family ride. The man was a teacher and family friends of one of my friends. It had a steering wheel (not like a bajaj) and a CD player and he was quite happy with his purchase. And also consider the future ban of 3Ws in city as mentioned by other members.

On a another note about making money as mentioned by some one, it happened to me once. I was on my way to pick up some thing in our 3W and was flaged by this guy with his family. It was a bit late and a lonely area and I explained that I'm not running hires and he couldn't understand what I was tring to explain so thought to help them out and since I was anyways going in the same direction so thought to give them a lift. When they got down the guy asked how much and I told he dosen't need to pay me but he insisted and gave me 150/- and said thats what they normally pay. The only hire I ever had!

Edited by Skyline R33

'The Don',

Thank you for your post this is totally correct forums are there to discuss matters concern to the relevant topic I used to write against those who rote against to my posts early but I was advised by the moderator report the matter to him there was a very senior member on this forum pm me not to get involved with this forum but as a person involved in automobiles heavy electrical and mechanical industry for number of decades I have good memories and had worked all round Srilanka in very big projects as well as abroad I always like to share them and At the age of 68+ I am still active.

You write specifiably appropriate words about members should write (But we need to respect others right to be able to express their views as long as its not derogatory, inflammatory or libelous.)

I do not care to them only three members who write all unwanted posts to my posts. I do not reply them. I leave them to be handled by the Honorable Moderator I think he will do the justice for posts against me and other members who was humiliated by unwarranted posts.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

I agree with Don,,,,

Although we don't comment on certain posts the etiquitte about certain members has been questionable.forums should be for discussion and you can argue on that maybe a technical point, picking a person spoils the show....i have seen this going on for sometime...and also then comes the gang bashing.....few members picking up one member and posting.....geez... ;)

Edited by rameez

So maybe, V, we're seeing the end of the threewheelers in the city in the next few years. Be a big change, eh?

There's a delightful clip on Youtube at:

showing Colombo and Colombo traffic in 1976. Not a trishaw to be seen. And I think I could only see a a couple of two wheelers. So when did the trishaws and the motorbikes really come on to the city streets?

The vehicle park on the clip has some real memories - A40s, Imps, Minors, were a few I could identify - and I think I glimpsed a Dormobile buzzing along! Different city now!!!

'Scooter',

Very good post with the clip that was good old days in 1950 it was rickshaws then motor car taxis were on the roads I can remember first Three wheelers was imported after 1978 and one non Sinhalese businessman gave for drivers with a condition to pay a fee after they run and earn. but it never worked then that time government intervened settled the matter.Morris minor Taxi drivers were against the three wheelers few years later by 1985 only three wheelers were on the roads.

All motor cycles Japanese vans and cars and 3 wheelers came to Srilanka after the 1977 new government opened the economy Open general license was issued to all Srilankans. There were only few importers at that time Japan only exported reconditioned vehicles.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

I agree with Don,,,,

Although we don't comment on certain posts the etiquette about certain members has been questionable.forums should be for discussion and you can argue on that maybe a technical point, picking a person spoils the show....i have seen this going on for sometime...and also then comes the gang bashing.....few members picking up one member and posting.....geez... ;)

'rameez',

Yes you are correct had given your correct opinion.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.