• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Seat Belts Mandatory In Sri Lanka From October 1

ModX

The Sri Lankan government is to make seat belts mandatory for drivers and front seat passengers of motor vehicles from October 1. The Transport Ministry gazette on the Motor Traffic (Seat Belts) regulations states that the regulations will also be applied to lorries and coaches that are registered after October 1. People who are less than 1.5 meters in height and with permanent disabilities are exempted from wearing seat belts. However, they are required to obtain a medical certificate to prove that they are unable to wear a seat belt. According to the regulations, no person will be allowed to sell or offer for sale or have in his/her possession for sale, any vehicle which is not fitted with a body restraining seat belt once the law comes into effect.

As far as i know this only mandotory for new vehicles. Not going to affect old vehicles without seat belts.

yeap thats what i heard too

i mean. take an old Morris Minor for example

those old cars doesn't have seat belts.

so that kind of a law will be useless.

yeap thats what i heard too

i mean. take an old Morris Minor for example

those old cars doesn't have seat belts.

so that kind of a law will be useless.

Yeah :lol: .This is compulsory for vehicles only with English plates I think <_<

Edited by CyRaX

The attitude is the main problem. People feel shy to wear a seat belt sometimes.

And also it is dangerous to keep children on an adults lap on front seat. Even if air bags are there, this is dangerous. Best thing is to keep them on rear seats.

Edited by brw

hell no ............ thats on ma moms birthday........ dang :jumping-smiley-013:

what the....dude your mom is a anti seat belt person or something. :blink:

Edited by nexus

The attitude is the main problem. People feel shy to wear a seat belt sometimes.

And also it is dangerous to keep children on an adults lap on front seat. Even if air bags are there, this is dangerous. Best thing is to keep them on rear seats.

your right... ppl die when the airbags are deployed...

Well, once enough of those babies die people will learn.

People learn better when they are dying.

They should also put a stop by either imposing fines or suspending of license on people who take children, including babies in the front seats. Also 5 people on motorbikes. I know that these people may find it hard to make ends meet & cannot afford a car, but seriously they need some common sense whacked into them. Weaving in & out of traffic while the kids legs hit into every other car.... Morons.

"EVEN IF AIR BAGS ARE THERE" ?

Having front air bags is one reason to keep the baby on rear seats.

A baby could get instantly killed by a deployed air bag.

"EVEN IF AIR BAGS ARE THERE" ?

Having front air bags is one reason to keep the baby on rear seats.

A baby could get instantly killed by a deployed air bag.

You are absolutely correct bro. I think it is mentioned in every car those are having airbags.

But how many people who expend millions for Allions etc. etc. know this FACT?

Edited by brw

Will the government make the infant and child car seats (<7 years) mandatory as well? I guess they will as soon as one of the hencmen gets a contract to import 'govt. approved' child harnesses!!! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...