• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Diy Dent Removal

jdnet

If like me you have a ton of little dents on your roof this DIY should be helpful. Basically this works pretty well on small dents without a crease. The process is pretty simple.

Here's what you need:

1. Heat gun or hair dryer (heat gun is prefered here. It will cost you about 3000 for a cheap chinese one without temperature adjustments. The prices go all the way up to 15k for bosch ones).

2. Ice (if you have access to dry ice that would be real good).

Basically the theory is that the heating and rapid cooling will pop the dent right off. I'm not going to get into scientific stuff here but it's basic physics. Anyway this will work only on dents without a crease in them.

Here's what you do.

Take your heat gun in one hand and ice in the other. Heat the surface of the dent. If you are using a heat gun about 10 seconds is enough and keep it three inches off the car. Take care not to burn the paint. A hair dryer would take longer to heat it up.

As soon as you move the heat gun away place the ice on the dent until it cools, at this point it should pop up. If it doesn't after a couple of tries, chances are that the particular dent cannot be fixed through the process.

I don't think you will need pictures for this but if you do let me know.

Have fun and remember if you are working with a heat gun, take care since they get real hot and can burn you if you touch the nozzle (done it plenty of times).

Edited by jdnet
  • Like 5

If like me you have a ton of little dents on your roof this DIY should be helpful. Basically this works pretty well on small dents without a crease. The process is pretty simple.

Here's what you need:

1. Heat gun or hair dryer (heat gun is prefered here. It will cost you about 3000 for a cheap chinese one without temperature adjustments. The prices go all the way up to 15k for bosch ones).

2. Ice (if you have access to dry ice that would be real good).

Basically the theory is that the heating and rapid cooling will pop the dent right off. I'm not going to get into scientific stuff here but it's basic physics. Anyway this will work only on dents without a crease in them.

Here's what you do.

Take your heat gun in one hand and ice in the other. Heat the surface of the dent. If you are using a heat gun about 10 seconds is enough and keep it three inches off the car. Take care not to burn the paint. A hair dryer would take longer to heat it up.

As soon as you move the heat gun away place the ice on the dent until it cools, at this point it should pop up. If it doesn't after a couple of tries, chances are that the particular dent cannot be fixed through the process.

I don't think you will need pictures for this but if you do let me know.

Have fun and remember if you are working with a heat gun, take care since they get real hot and can burn you if you touch the nozzle (done it plenty of times).

THNX BRO THNX ALOT FOR SHARING THIS I THINK IT WILL BE SOOO COOOL IF U ADD SOME PICS FOR THIS

THANKING YOU

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone attempted this?

I have seen (on the web) compressed CO2 being used (from a can) instead of ice.

'MAS',

Yes you are correct,it can be any gas below room temperature so that the temperature change will straighten the stretched dent.

This is a very old method, This system works for thin metal sheets to take stretched dent out to be normal position.But still some sought of distortion will remain, little amount of straightening has to be done by manually, to get a perfect level, some times refinish of paint work has to be done.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.