• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Corrupt Car Dealers

g-unit

Hi all. I was going down dutugamunu street kohuwala yesterday and stopped at a car sale which had displayed a red Mercedes Benz C200 K AMG Sport (I feel it's not right to state the name but any of you guys familiar with that area probably know this place as the car is displayed right in front). It's a 2008 late with the body and interior in pretty good nick. The mileage was only 10,500 k.m. for an 08 car that seemed pretty low. So I asked for the service records carried out in the U.K and found out that the last service was carried out at 17,500 Miles (not k.m) in Jan/11. I had an argument with the car sale guys but they kept on saying that they weren't aware of this, and that it had been done in the U.K even before Bureau Veritas carried out the inspection as that certificate complies with the car meter reading. That goes to show how affecting these pre shipment inspection are.

So basically the moral of the story is if buying a used car from abroad the fact that it's been JAAI or BV certified means jack. I know in some car ads the biggest selling point of it is that it's been certified by one of the above authorities. A car cannot be cleared here without these inspection certs to begin with so it's not some great indicator of the car's history. For all we know It could have run 50k and turned down to 10K and they'll certify it as 10K. Always be mindful make sure the complete service records are available and a valid mileage certification is available. Basically go for an approved used car. I know this is tough for Jap imports as all is in Jap so good luck with that. All these guys are looking for is making more money selling hacked cars. and always remember IF ANY THING IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!! IT DEFINITELY IS!! :D

Edited by g-unit

Oh wow! this is a real surprise I thought all car dealers were honest. I think we should take the owner of that car sale to court since he is tarnishing the image of other dealers. What a sad day when we can't trust an odometer reading.

Hi all. I was going down dutugamunu street kohuwala yesterday and stopped at a car sale which had displayed a red Mercedes Benz C200 K AMG Sport (I feel it's not right to state the name but any of you guys familiar with that area probably know this place as the car is displayed right in front). It's a 2008 late with the body and interior in pretty good nick. The mileage was only 10,500 k.m. for an 08 car that seemed pretty low. So I asked for the service records carried out in the U.K and found out that the last service was carried out at 17,500 Miles (not k.m) in Jan/11. I had an argument with the car sale guys but they kept on saying that they weren't aware of this, and that it had been done in the U.K even before Bureau Veritas carried out the inspection as that certificate complies with the car meter reading. That goes to show how affecting these pre shipment inspection are.

So basically the moral of the story is if buying a used car from abroad the fact that it's been JAAI or BV certified means jack. I know in some car ads the biggest selling point of it is that it's been certified by one of the above authorities. A car cannot be cleared here without these inspection certs to begin with so it's not some great indicator of the car's history. For all we know It could have run 50k and turned down to 10K and they'll certify it as 10K. Always be mindful make sure the complete service records are available and a valid mileage certification is available. Basically go for an approved used car. I know this is tough for Jap imports as all is in Jap so good luck with that. All these guys are looking for is making more money selling hacked cars. and always remember IF ANY THING IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!! IT DEFINITELY IS!! :D

these things happen dude, the best thing to do if your going for a used car is to go to the agents n buy a certified used vehicle even BV n JAAI are business organisations

I know the car sale your talking about,the one just next to keels.Dude these things are perfectly normal in Sri Lanka,if any dealer says he does not change the milege he's a very bad liar.If you don't want to get in to this crap your only possibility is to buy a Brand new.;)

the only difference between this guy and other dealers is that this one was dumb enough to show you the documents to highlight the con. but don't feel too bad about being conned in the past playa, at least sleep easy knowing december is coming up - at least santa is real, eh?

if any one does any changes to the Odometer before inspecting then the JAAI wont be issued....its a certificate which cannot be change in Japan before shipment..most of the Car sales people change it when car arrives to sri lanka....if the Odometer is changed before it is put to Auction..in the Auction Sheet it clearly mentions....this is wht i know about JAAI

bt i dnt knw abt the certificates in UK...even we are afraid to import from UK.where lot of people change the Odometer before the shipment.mostly Indians who are in business.(i heard this from an Uncle who is in UK nw)

i think govt should put necessary rule and regulations to stop these kind of bad things...

The sri lankans in japan also do this they agree with the seller and put a lower millage to the odo before geting the auction certificate,

we don't live in a dream world "defendertdi" imagines in japan

and there are many other ways that this can be done with a clear auction certificates,

so if u'r going for a recondition u should accept the fact that it could have done evan 150 000km in the 2 yrs it was used there,

because most cars i saw in japan had done more than 100 000km, but similar cars imported by sales here have only about 10 00km in their odo :ninja: .

As in jap conditions the cars run about this much(100 000km), if they weren't met with an accident or kept for idiotic srilankan buyers to buy for more than it's brand new value,

The only way to be sure about the millage is to buy brand new or buy a 2nd hand one from a trustworthy source.

By the way cars do less millage in sri lanka so it will be more safe

Edited by toyota sucks

Members,

Adjusting odometers had been going on for more than a decade from mid 1990 in Srilanka A computer wise man found out this method using a laptop within few minutes. Almost all vehicles imported are subject to reduce their odometers according to used car dealers request for a fee. Today more than 5 persons are operating this system in Srilanka.

They started as computer repairers today they are Vehicle importers Millionaires still they do odometer reduction. .

This is done in few hours after clearing the vehicle from the Srilanka port overnight.

I have mentioned in another thread about odometer reduction is done in Srilanka before.

Very soon the dealers will change the JAAI or BV any other authority's certificate in Srilanka.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

The sri lankans in japan also do this they agree with the seller and put a lower millage to the odo before geting the auction certificate,

we don't live in a dream world "defendertdi" imagines in japan

and there are many other ways that this can be done with a clear auction certificates,

so if u'r going for a recondition u should accept the fact that it could have done evan 150 000km in the 2 yrs it was used there,

because most cars i saw in japan had done more than 100 000km, but similar cars imported by sales here have only about 10 00km in their odo :ninja: .

As in jap conditions the cars run about this much(100 000km), if they weren't met with an accident or kept for idiotic srilankan buyers to buy for more than it's brand new value,

The only way to be sure about the millage is to buy brand new or buy a 2nd hand one from a trustworthy source.

By the way cars do less millage in sri lanka so it will be more safe

as we hav imported many vehicles directly from japan.(one of my relations has a USS Auction permit).i cant agree with u totally....i think u havnt cn a true auction certificate where it mentions odometer changed....of course we can change the auction certificate..its a matter of 5mins...usually sri lankans buy Good auction grade vehicles with high millage and change the odometer...thats how it happens....

Well, its strange that this can be done in a merc. If i am not mistaken if someone changes the ODO meter on a BMW, there is an indication next to the meter reading that highlights this. Apparently the odo meter readings are stored in several different locations on the vehicles ECU. Unless of course our buggers have found a way around this as well

Well, its strange that this can be done in a merc. If i am not mistaken if someone changes the ODO meter on a BMW, there is an indication next to the meter reading that highlights this. Apparently the odo meter readings are stored in several different locations on the vehicles ECU. Unless of course our buggers have found a way around this as well

actually its possible, and its kinda easy for mercs. i remember once i watched in "Auto Trader" (its a British Car show bout Second hand cars)

they showed how to temper with the ODO meter readings of a Merc in few sec. but they didnt show the exact technique and stuff

just informing buyers to stay alarm and how to avoide such cars.

This thread should be titled "STUPID CAR BUYERS" :D

I don't see any point in taking the odo reading of a car seriously. Is it conclusive that a car that has done 10,000km, in a better condition than a car which has done 50,000km? There are more important things to check in a car than the odometer.

• Like 1

This thread should be titled "STUPID CAR BUYERS" :D

I don't see any point in taking the odo reading of a car seriously. Is it conclusive that a car that has done 10,000km, in a better condition than a car which has done 50,000km? There are more important things to check in a car than the odometer.

Well bro this is because of the typical attitude of the buyers,even if a car had been badly hacked they'd still go for it if the mileage is said to be low even though they still have the option to go for a better maintained car which might have more mileage on clock.Demand should meet supply naha.

And as you said "STUPID BUYERS"

Edited by CyRaX

well this must be discussed here, bcz car sellers using this option to increase their sales value in 1Lkh,

Common sense,

IF you buy a car with mileage under 60000 with JAAI, Sorry you have been threaten by these JAAI buggers.

if the car YOM is under 2009, definitely the actual mileage should over 60000 Km, that's is normal in Japan or even UK, but if they selling the vehicle they reduce the ODO meter reading.

Even in here buggers do this, we see cars YOM - 2000/20001/2002 and so with mileage under 100000Km, this crazy no how it happened, if so car might be kept in a garage for more than two years :angry-smiley-048:

Mileage between 100000 Km - 200000 Km vehicles with good service record ok with the ODO

as we hav imported many vehicles directly from japan.(one of my relations has a USS Auction permit).i cant agree with u totally....i think u havnt cn a true auction certificate where it mentions odometer changed....of course we can change the auction certificate..its a matter of 5mins...usually sri lankans buy Good auction grade vehicles with high millage and change the odometer...thats how it happens....

'defendertdi',

One member in another post comfirms he had seen the M/B odometer is tampered in another devloped country this odometer tampaering started in Srilanka to my knowlege after digital meteres was installed for Automobiles.I have been to Vehicle auction my self in devloped countys seen how it is operated.

Certified Inspection certificate comes to srilanka with shipping documents after the certificate comes to the importers hand what not he can do with all new printing tecnology in Srilanka.

Srilankans are capable in doing all crooked things to make rupees and cents.

First 1000.00 Rupee note was printed in Japan by one Srilankan in two citys 260 KMS apart that is one side in one city other side in a nother city. As a note has two thin papers pasted with a security code.The culpricts were taken to Srilanka court of law in 1980end part later was sent to jail in early 1990.Case went on for few years before final H/C judgement.

Chassis numbers altering by grinding the original factory number was done in Japan by our mechanics who was there.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

Edited by Sylvi

'rangerover',

WE have people in Srilanka who totaly take off all registered different locations of odometer readings on the ECU and give what the importer wants.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'rangerover',

WE have people in Srilanka who totaly take off all registered different locations of odometer readings on the ECU and give what the importer wants.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hey Sylvi are you trying to hint at something? Promote your side business? Sylvi's chop shop (estd 1943)?

Hey Sylvi are you trying to hint at something? Promote your side business? Sylvi's chop shop (estd 1943)?

'ShintaroX',

I was born in year 1943 same address I live in now.My late father had a business from 1931 on the same address.

I do not want to promote any business I wrote what I know of adometer adjustments by our capable technicians.

Thanks for your comments on your post about myself.

Wishing you Health Wealth and Happyness.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'ShintaroX',

I was born in year 1943 same address I live in now.My late father had a business from 1931 on the same address.

I do not want to promote any business I wrote what I know of adometer adjustments by our capable technicians.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

+1

well this must be discussed here, bcz car sellers using this option to increase their sales value in 1Lkh,

Common sense,

IF you buy a car with mileage under 60000 with JAAI, Sorry you have been threaten by these JAAI buggers.

if the car YOM is under 2009, definitely the actual mileage should over 60000 Km, that's is normal in Japan or even UK, but if they selling the vehicle they reduce the ODO meter reading.

Even in here buggers do this, we see cars YOM - 2000/20001/2002 and so with mileage under 100000Km, this crazy no how it happened, if so car might be kept in a garage for more than two years :angry-smiley-048:

Mileage between 100000 Km - 200000 Km vehicles with good service record ok with the ODO

Avarage milage per year for Japanese vehicles changes with the location/s car had been used in.

Reason is in bigger cities ( i.e Tokyo and surrounding cities/suburbs, Kyoto, Osaka ) have well developed public transport systems and daytime parking is absurdly expensive ( and other thing most of the workplaces in urban areas do not provide free parking ) and as a result vehicles in those areas are not much used. However in remote areas where Public transport is not readily available and parking space is abundant, vehicle tend to clock lot of mileage. Japan being the very urbanized country, many people tend to live in urban areas and as a result absurdly low mileage in used vehicle is a real possibility.

I bought a car in 2010 and YOM was 2008. I got the all the maintenance records of the vehicle and it perfectly matched with the expressed mileage of 17k.

'ShintaroX',

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

we know your whole life story and about your father. We have heard it a million times already. Give it a break.

Avarage milage per year for Japanese vehicles changes with the location/s car had been used in.

Reason is in bigger cities ( i.e Tokyo and surrounding cities/suburbs, Kyoto, Osaka ) have well developed public transport systems and daytime parking is absurdly expensive ( and other thing most of the workplaces in urban areas do not provide free parking ) and as a result vehicles in those areas are not much used. However in remote areas where Public transport is not readily available and parking space is abundant, vehicle tend to clock lot of mileage. Japan being the very urbanized country, many people tend to live in urban areas and as a result absurdly low mileage in used vehicle is a real possibility.

I bought a car in 2010 and YOM was 2008. I got the all the maintenance records of the vehicle and it perfectly matched with the expressed mileage of 17k.

yes it may be ok with few vehicles, but all of the ones comes with low mileage like 10k/35k it is not the truth