• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Replacing Shock Absorbers :)

ruki123

Question

mechanic asked me 2 replace both front shock absorbers

how much will it cost and how long can i use once replaced ? :)

i got a quote from a spare parts shop in dehiwala.. price range was 9k each (is it reasonable for a 2001 kia rio?)

please advice.

Thanks!

11 answers to this question

i got a quote from a spare parts shop in dehiwala.. price range was 9k each (is it reasonable for a 2001 kia rio?)

please advice.

Thanks!

Usually a set of Genuine shocks can be considered to last between 50-75,000KM. The large variation in distance is because a variety of factors such as road conditions, driving habits, weight that the car carries etc affect the lifetime of the shocks.

9k sounds about right based on current prices. But make sure you check that they are Genuine parts. For what it's worth, call up the agents and ask what the cost is as well.

Even for Korean cars, you can go for KYB. Go to TAAS.

i don't see "kia" in t@@s agencies website (under brands) anyways ill try calling them tomorrow.. thanks

i also called carplan but they told it was out of stock and not sure about the price lolz

please advice.

Thanks!

'ruki123',

First of all get your shock absorbers tested in a shock absorbers testing Machine I get mine tested with "Nalaka"

Next to Arpico show room at Colombo 00200.They will give you a computerized report.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Talking of shocks.. shouldn't you replace those rubber cover thingies? I forget the name.. are they shock boots?

I found that these do not last as long as the shocks.. probably doesn't get even close.. are there various qualities of shock boots available?

Talking of shocks.. shouldn't you replace those rubber cover thingies? I forget the name.. are they shock boots?

I found that these do not last as long as the shocks.. probably doesn't get even close.. are there various qualities of shock boots available?

Shock mounts ? i bought 2 mounts at 3.5k each from ki@ motors.

Edited by ruki123