• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Problem With Toyota Ist

TDMax

Hi,

I very recently bought myself a Toyota IST NCP60. YOM is 2004. Before this I did not have any experiences with hatchback cars. I noticed that when the car is on move, a hum comes from the rear end of the car. I felt as if it is the sound from tires on the rear end.

Further whenever i move out from the carpet road i hear a tuck tuck noise comming from the rear.. I removed all the accessories (spare wheel, car jack etc...) from rear and double checked the door still i could hear it.

Is this normal on an IST? Is it the Door? I hope some IST owners can help me out. Thank you mates..

Heya TDMax, firstly let me start off with the disclaimer that I'm no expert in identifying odd noises coming from peoples rear ends!!!! However, this could be several things in my rather shallow knowledge.

Rear-end noises (If you'll pardon the expression) coming 'from the wheel' could be:

1) The brakes. Remove rotor and check e-brake shoe.

2) The tyres. A hum when in motion could also be worn tyres. Check that.

3) Is the car RWD? Probably not, so we'll forget the rear differential.

4) Could it be the suspension? Get the struts, strut mounts, springs checked. The rear lower arms.

5) Grab hold of your exhaust tip and yank it up and down a bit (again no double meanings intended) as the noise could be an unstable exhaust mounting.

Ok thats all I can think of right now, will post any more ideas if they come to me. Please post what it was when you discover.

• Like 2

Heya TDMax, firstly let me start off with the disclaimer that I'm no expert in identifying odd noises coming from peoples rear ends!!!! However, this could be several things in my rather shallow knowledge.

Rear-end noises (If you'll pardon the expression) coming 'from the wheel' could be:

4) Could it be the suspension? Get the struts, strut mounts, springs checked. The rear lower arms.

5) Grab hold of your exhaust tip and yank it up and down a bit (again no double meanings intended) as the noise could be an unstable exhaust mounting.

Ok thats all I can think of right now, will post any more ideas if they come to me. Please post what it was when you discover.

thumbs up. let me add my two cents..

The hum could be due to a simple reason like a worn out tire with broken plys. If it persists with a new or a good tire, it has to be wheel bearing as IST is a FWD car.

The rattle, usual suspect is the stabilizer bar bushes or multi-links in most of modern cars.

• Like 1

Hi ShintaroX,

I took the car for a service today and checked the tyres as well as break.. Nothing wrong with that.

Checked the exhaust and no problem with that. the service manager at the service center said that it is because the rear door does not close properly. I am still clueless...

Thanks for the response...

A hum or clicking noise?

Hum could be that you rear wheel bearings are worn. The 'tuck tuck' noise could be something stuck under the seat perhaps? I had a similar problem for a long time in the Ford truck we had and finally tracked it to a jack extension that was missing for a long time rolling under the seat and rattling inside. Best is to check EVERYTHING inside the car.

Hi ShintaroX,

I took the car for a service today and checked the tyres as well as break.. Nothing wrong with that.

Checked the exhaust and no problem with that. the service manager at the service center said that it is because the rear door does not close properly. I am still clueless...

Thanks for the response...

A little thing you could do is to find a deserted bit of road, open the rear door, and drive a little with the door left open. It will be good if the road is a bit bumpy, though don't drive too quickly. If the noise isn't there close the door and drive on the same road at the same pace. If the noise returns it's definitely associated with the door. If there is no noise, well then that proves nothing !

• 6 years later...
On 20/07/2011 at 6:24 PM, TDMax said:

Hi,

I very recently bought myself a Toyota IST NCP60. YOM is 2004. Before this I did not have any experiences with hatchback cars. I noticed that when the car is on move, a hum comes from the rear end of the car. I felt as if it is the sound from tires on the rear end.

Further whenever i move out from the carpet road i hear a tuck tuck noise comming from the rear.. I removed all the accessories (spare wheel, car jack etc...) from rear and double checked the door still i could hear it.

Is this normal on an IST? Is it the Door? I hope some IST owners can help me out. Thank you mates..

Dear 

I have recently bought a IST toyota

with rear Tac tac loose Noise once leave tar mat to bumpy road i had check:

1-Suspension- New

2-Wheel Drum -New

3-Brake -New

4- joints and Arms - New

am I missing a joint?

5- tyres-New and well tightn,

6- Shock absorber Covers- on place

7-checked - exhaust pipe, spare tyre, loose parts, under the seats but that tac tac tac still is present and stronger everydays.

Could you please help me ID noise source.

Regards

Lennon

• 1 year later...

Hey there sorry to disturb i wanted some advice on the toyota ist that im willing to buy it looks in good condition for a 2004 runs well with a hum noise but it has a 280000 mileage. What you think is it worth? 

Edited by Raphael