• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Quick Trivia 3

Watchman

14 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Ugh! Its the Genesis G80, but why did anyone in SL bother buying this monstrosity? 

Correct! You hate it? I think it's cool, especially the new ones look so premium. 

BTW it's a Korean diplomat car, not private owned. Saw it in this side last year. Quite a head turner. 

6 minutes ago, AVANTE said:

Correct! You hate it? I think it's cool, especially the new ones look so premium. 

BTW it's a Korean diplomat car, not private owned. Saw it in this side last year. Quite a head turner. 

I dunno man: To each his own> The styling just screams fat American to me...I mean I have no issues being associated with overwieght people: Some of the nicest people I know (myself included of course) are fat lazy dudes- But American?~! That's where I draw the line! :D  

Edited by Kavvz
  • Haha 1

Aright: Just to prove I'm a nice guy who doesn't rag on Americans for no reason (and also to 'put-a-shape' to all the Auto-Lankans unlucky enough to live in the ole US of A) here is ONE American car, with truely timeless design, that I wouldn't mind driving:

Screenshot_20200727-111547_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Kavvz

11 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Aright: Just to prove I'm a nice guy who doesn't rag on Americans for no reason (and also to 'put-a-shape' to all the Auto-Lankans unlucky enough to live in the ole US of A) here is ONE American car, with truely timeless design, that I wouldn't mind driving:

Screenshot_20200727-111547_Chrome.jpg

Tesla  S?

3 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Yes! A study in design and technology: Designed by the genuis Franz von Holzhausen. Good one @matroska! And nice work posting up the Rover P6. That was a super one....Floor is yours buddy! 

Thanks @Kavvz   had an interesting read about Franz von Holzhausen didn;t know he used to be at Mazda.

Anyway here we go 

image.png.bebc474a1c2e317551edf89df19d561c.png

Edited by matroska

11 minutes ago, matroska said:

Unfortunately not. Should I add a clue maybe? 

No, lets keep it going- It looks like a good one. (Plus our heavies haven't weighed in yet with their guesses, so no point making it too easy just yet...)

Edited by Kavvz

6 hours ago, matroska said:

Yes @sathyajithj99 - you've got it. 

Here's a pic of a local specimen (saw this on a Facebook classic car page)

13307312_499409580266935_2191886683003394584_n.jpg.922717ecdfa6a00fb6c504550625a10a.jpg

Wow! It looks restored / well looked after? Its beautiful and I love those little lamps near the windscreen. Does anyone know what they are? The lamps look really small (low powered) so does that mean its some sort of parking light? 

7 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Wow! It looks restored / well looked after? Its beautiful and I love those little lamps near the windscreen. Does anyone know what they are? The lamps look really small (low powered) so does that mean its some sort of parking light? 

Yes..those are just small side-marker/parking lights. Some cars in the era got them on the front wheel arch; some got them on a bar that ran across in front of the grill; some got them on the bumper. However the "in front of the grill" type of light was not liked because the lights did not show the true width of the car and apparently was more prone to get hit by people. To solve this, some manufacturers apparently installed another set of lights at the edge of the bumper (i suppose they found their in front of the grill parking lamps too beautiful to change :D )

46 minutes ago, iRage said:

Yes..those are just small side-marker/parking lights. Some cars in the era got them on the front wheel arch; some got them on a bar that ran across in front of the grill; some got them on the bumper. However the "in front of the grill" type of light was not liked because the lights did not show the true width of the car and apparently was more prone to get hit by people. To solve this, some manufacturers apparently installed another set of lights at the edge of the bumper (i suppose they found their in front of the grill parking lamps too beautiful to change :D )

Aren't those lights known as clearance lamps?  The ones which are used to show the width of the vehicles.  Even modern vehicles have them.

21 minutes ago, sathyajithj99 said:

Aren't those lights known as clearance lamps?  The ones which are used to show the width of the vehicles.  Even modern vehicles have them.

yes...pretty much....the clearance lamps were evolutionary steps that lead from lamps such as the above :) (just like how fog lights and then subsequently driving lights, etc...came in to being :)) . Those days there were no integrated head and parking lights...power supply was limited...not all the streets were lit up...so things were rudimentary and components served multiple purposes.