• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Under Compression

malinda7

hello guys

just wanna know if the vehicle engine under compression, does it make any impact to fuel consumption? also what are the other symptoms that you can find. also what are the solutions for this issue. need your advice.

Yes it does have an impact on fuel consumption, as the engine won't be producing as much power as it did before. But really the more obvious symptoms would be, difficulty to start the car in the morning, white smoke coming out of the exhaust during the day time, loss of power, loss of oil (oil levels going down without no apparent oil leak) etc. In diesel vehicles some of these symptoms may be more obvious than petrol.

Yes it does have an impact on fuel consumption, as the engine won't be producing as much power as it did before. But really the more obvious symptoms would be, difficulty to start the car in the morning, white smoke coming out of the exhaust during the day time, loss of power, loss of oil (oil levels going down without no apparent oil leak) etc. In diesel vehicles some of these symptoms may be more obvious than petrol.

thanks for the valued reply. according to the symptoms what you have mentioned above doesn't have on mine. garage person said that the engine is under compression because there's a oil(little amount) in the Air filter area. so hiz concern is due to the under compression fuel consumption goes low. and he recommended to do the overhaul. any help on this matter

thanks for the valued reply. according to the symptoms what you have mentioned above doesn't have on mine. garage person said that the engine is under compression because there's a oil(little amount) in the Air filter area. so hiz concern is due to the under compression fuel consumption goes low. and he recommended to do the overhaul. any help on this matter

Well before you decide what to do next, get a compression test done on your car. Any competent garrage can do it but make sure it is not the finger in the spark plug hole test. You need something more scientific than that. Oil in the air filter area is not a good sign but you need to confirm the problem before thinking about solutions.

• Like 1

Well before you decide what to do next, get a compression test done on your car. Any competent garrage can do it but make sure it is not the finger in the spark plug hole test. You need something more scientific than that. Oil in the air filter area is not a good sign but you need to confirm the problem before thinking about solutions.

Agree with you. do you know any good place for do this.

Agree with you. do you know any good place for do this.

I think the famous Edirisingha engineering works can do this, but find out from your mechanic if there is a local place that can do the same. Also inquire from local garages, it's not the most complicated job in the world.

I think the famous Edirisingha engineering works can do this, but find out from your mechanic if there is a local place that can do the same. Also inquire from local garages, it's not the most complicated job in the world.

Juki workshop pepiliyana. They test compression. But make sure you read the values rather than listening "good or bad" by the tester.

I hope your referring to the peliyagoda place.

u can also check the under compression by this way,,

start the engine, remove the dipstick & rev it,,. if u can see oil is spitting off, that would be under compression,

may be your worn piston rings,

u can also check the under compression by this way,,

start the engine, remove the dipstick & rev it,,. if u can see oil is spitting off, that would be under compression,

nope. i can assure you that this does not work.

I've seen engines with under compression, smoking, burning oil etc but not blowing a drop of oil through the dip stick vent hole.

Agree with Don,

compression test is the first step. Then you can determine the level of repair to be done.

MINIACE

nope. i can assure you that this does not work.

I've seen engines with under compression, smoking, burning oil etc but not blowing a drop of oil through the dip stick vent hole.

If you use a thinker oil mixture, there won't be any oil shooting out,

This technique is practiced my many used car sales etc

• 7 years later...
On 7/8/2011 at 5:01 PM, malinda7 said:

hello guys

just wanna know if the vehicle engine under compression, does it make any impact to fuel consumption? also what are the other symptoms that you can find. also what are the solutions for this issue. need your advice.

Q: What is your vehicle and its current mileage?

TT.