• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

New Number Plate

Ayad Zubair

how much will be the cost for changing a faded English number plate to a new one :jumping-smiley-013:

it will cost 3500 slr to make both of them by number plate making guy.

how much will be the cost for changing a faded English number plate to a new one :jumping-smiley-013:

Obvious you cannot get a new number, but talk to RMV and request new set of plates for the same number. You will have to pay some amout to get it done.

The number plate charges for a new registration is Rs 1250/-, so I guess replacements will not cost much more than that. You can go to the RMV @ Narahenpita and get a new set of plates after paying the fee and returning the old faded ones.

But as far as I know you should wait for a couple of months for the plates

No, it shouldn't take that long. For new regs, I got mine the next working day after registration (This was in April this year). However, had a load of trouble last year (November) trying to get the plates for my Viva and finally after a month waiting and not receiving any favorable response from Un*mo, I decided to personally go to the RMV to find out what excatly happened. As it turned out, the RMV had made the number plate the day following registration, but it was missing and Un*mo claimed they did not receive it. So spoke to the guy in charge of the number plate section, and he assured me that he would investigate the issue and asked me to call him in 2 days. (his mobile number is displayed at the counter and anyone can call him if there are disputes). So called him 2 days later and he confirmed that they had located my plates and guess what the guy from A*W had taken my plates thinking it was one of their plates. I told the RMV guy to had over my plates to the Un*mo guy once they receive it from A*W and I got my plates the next day.

While I was at the RMV sorting this mess out, saw a lot of people with broken/damaged plates coming there to replace them and thats how I got a bit familiar with the process and from what I saw, if you have the right connections, you could get it replaced the same day or worse case you should get it the next day.

• Like 4

The number plate charges for a new registration is Rs 1250/-, so I guess replacements will not cost much more than that. You can go to the RMV @ Narahenpita and get a new set of plates after paying the fee and returning the old faded ones.

Now it's moved to werahera

Not the case now, I'm afraid. Some have complained of having to wait over 2 weeks for their plates - I registered 3 weeks ago, it took a week and a half to get the plates.

Had an issue on Number plate delivering on time because of the plate, yeah few weeks back the plates finished and they are importing from Singapore due to the delay in the shipment it happened. This is what told by the guy who registering no in RMV...

Had an issue on Number plate delivering on time because of the plate, yeah few weeks back the plates finished and they are importing from Singapore due to the delay in the shipment it happened. This is what told by the guy who registering no in RMV...

How much will cost to change the number plate due to changing the province of car.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Now you can get the number plate with a name you like.

http://www.insidelankanews.com/2013/05/u-whsslrefa-kua-jdykfha-wxlhg.html

This is why Sri Lankan journalist suck. If you go according to the article you will see that Three Wheelers are now having number plates with AAB meaning they are motorbikes.

The correct numbering is as follows;

Three Wheelers are given Numbers starting from AAA onwards,

Motor Bikes BAA onwards

Cars CAA onwards

Lorrys and Buses will be given their own number range.

The personalised number plates are valid only for 5 years I think, and you have to renew it after that.

Edited by Gummybr

I was told its one million for 10 years.

Maybe your right. I'm just wondering what names you can make with the C@@ series and its just another way of collecting more money me thinks.

Either way who ever pays for such a number should

a) Buy a luxury car

B) Use it for 10 years

c) Have a load of money to blow out on a number plate

or knows the back door way of getting a number without paying that much.

I know that other countries are doing this, but dont think they pay that much in those countries to get a specialized number.

Yeah machan in other countries you can make up anything upto 6 letters( Well atleast in nz) and its not expensive and its for life. I too dont know what names you can make up with 3 letters and 4 digits. May be rich show off people will get it to boast their power.

This is why Sri Lankan journalist suck. If you go according to the article you will see that Three Wheelers are now having number plates with AAB meaning they are motorbikes.

The correct numbering is as follows;

Three Wheelers are given Numbers starting from AAA onwards,

Motor Bikes BAA onwards

Cars CAA onwards

Lorrys and Buses will be given their own number range.

The personalised number plates are valid only for 5 years I think, and you have to renew it after that.

Sri lankan media and journalism, no difference with politics. :sad-smiley-067:

Also it can register very limited number of vehicles with AAB, AAC compared to BAA, CAA and it is useless. :speechless-smiley-004:

In these days lot of BAD bikes around...

Edited by Nirosha