• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Autolanka Does Not Publish Vehicles Unless The Full Number Plate Is Visible

Got an e-mail this morning saying "Autolanka does not publish vehicles unless the full number plate is visible"

Actually I think it's a good idea.

BUT

1. Shouldn't the sellers be informed about this new policy (on the confirmation page or somewhere) rather than waiting for the seller to send the photos and then reverting back?

2. How come I still see cars advertised (a 121 and a black civic advertised on 4th July 2011)?

Got an e-mail this morning saying "Autolanka does not publish vehicles unless the full number plate is visible"

Actually I think it's a good idea.

BUT

1. Shouldn't the sellers be informed about this new policy (on the confirmation page or somewhere) rather than waiting for the seller to send the photos and then reverting back?

2. How come I still see cars advertised (a 121 and a black civic advertised on 4th July 2011)?

Same thing here.

I posted my advertisement in Autolanka and send the emails with pictures to AL. But even after 1.5 days later I didn't receive payment confirmation e-mail. Only when I queried they said that they are not gonna post unless plates are visible.

May be that car belong to a person who knows moderators/ owners. This is Sri Lanka man!

Same thing here.

I posted my advertisement in Autolanka and send the emails with pictures to AL. But even after 1.5 days later I didn't receive payment confirmation e-mail. Only when I queried they said that they are not gonna post unless plates are visible.

May be that car belong to a person who knows moderators/ owners. This is Sri Lanka man!

Moderators are only active on the forums and have no connection to the rest of the site. Speculating like that is most unwise.

Also what if it's an unregistered vehicle?

then it will say unregistered :)

actually, I never figured out why people want to hide the number anyway...

with paper ads and paying by the word, I can understand people shortening 300-1234 to 300, but why go to the trouble of editing the photo?

then it will say unregistered :)

actually, I never figured out why people want to hide the number anyway...

with paper ads and paying by the word, I can understand people shortening 300-1234 to 300, but why go to the trouble of editing the photo?

I guess the fear of figuring out slow moving vehicles when they see the advert. Doesn't make much sense though.

I guess the fear of figuring out slow moving vehicles when they see the advert. Doesn't make much sense though.

Personally I agree with the policy and it should happen in paper ads or any other form of vehicle advertising.

However if number is available its easy to go through the insuarence guys and find out about the accident history if they have the right contacts.

If that happen i think that is also good. Buyers know exactly what they buy and can get it for right price.

There was some new regulation that was 'put in place' in March which made Price marking mandatory (http://www.dailynews.lk/2011/03/02/news22.asp) :action-smiley-060:

If implemented properly (you wish!) this should cover the classified ads as well?

Spot on Vishwa, told the same thing to that idiot but couldn't waste much time on it. Yes, as a result now car sales guys put up the price tag on the vehicles including secondhand vehicles.

Asking price should also make mandatory including paper advertisements. One idiot wanted me to come all the way to chillaw to know the price of his vehicle.

LOL :lol:

Spot on Vishwa, told the same thing to that idiot but couldn't waste much time on it. Yes, as a result now car sales guys put up the price tag on the vehicles including secondhand vehicles.

But never hear anyone being penalized or reprimanded for not adhering by the Govt.

MINIACE

But never hear anyone being penalized or reprimanded for not adhering by the Govt.

MINIACE

One car sales guy told me they have gone through tough times for not displaying prices of cars, when I asked why the prices were displayed with each car. This is a second hand car sale.

Usual issue with laws here is they get implemented but not enforced peopely.

Usual issue with laws here is they get implemented but not enforced peopely.

Very true...... Same for the tobacco products law.

PS:I have seen a foreigner smokes right in front of the Dalada Maligawa.Cop was there within visible range but didn't move. Don't know his language skills or another law applies for foreigners :)

One car sales guy told me they have gone through tough times for not displaying prices of cars, when I asked why the prices were displayed with each car. This is a second hand car sale.

Oh there you go..so thats some kind of action taking place ha? Good scene.

MINIACE

Asking price should also make mandatory including paper advertisements. One idiot wanted me to come all the way to chillaw to know the price of his vehicle.

Ha ha maybe he wanted to see how you looked. :) .Personaly even I think this is a good idea,this will reduce our telephone cost when searching for a vehicle

Oh there you go..so thats some kind of action taking place ha? Good scene.

MINIACE

This law is already enforced strictly on retail business, even small boutique should have a price list. First time I heard it has also being enforced to vehicle market through that car sales guy. Whatever said and done, a good move.

i think it's more useful if there is Sold or Inactive like information mentioned. because there is no way to know weather vehicle is sold or not until we call the owner.

i think it's more useful if there is Sold or Inactive like information mentioned. because there is no way to know weather vehicle is sold or not until we call the owner.

Well, I think its sellers responsibility to call AL and inform once the car is sold, I did it, and I didn’t take long for AL to remove my add…

Well, I think its sellers responsibility to call AL and inform once the car is sold, I did it, and I didn't take long for AL to remove my add…

Yes agree. Also i have seen in some sites owner himself can remove the ad..

• Like 1

usually owners get pissed about people continually calling after they sold the car, so they will usually contact the site and ask them to remove it... failing that, you can always "report the ad" to AL... trust they would investigate and remove the ad if needed

I would always like see the number plate in the car that is advertised. Through this requirement the buyer does not get played out. If you do not put the number plate the buyer can get played out once he actually buys the car. It is like showing pretty girl and arranging the old girl who does not look so nice when you go to marry.

Very true...... Same for the tobacco products law.

PS:I have seen a foreigner smokes right in front of the Dalada Maligawa.Cop was there within visible range but didn't move. Don't know his language skills or another law applies for foreigners :)

oh please..... I've seen MONKS smoke inside temples. Even had one who would visit us from time to time and he would make sure our door was shut so no one else would see him smoke and drink. Also know a kapuwa (sp?) who hits the gambling tables daily. I would be less worried with foreigners smoking in front of temples if I were you.