• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Duplicate Certificate Of Registration

Edward

Hi Guys,

What do you advice, if I want to buy a car, for which the owner is having the duplicate book. He says the original is lost. But I heard, I cannot do a one day transfer, with a duplicate book & finance companies do not give money for duplicates, Is it true? Also how can I clarify the owners details in the RMV. What is the procedure for duplicate registration certificates. :angry-smiley-024:

What do you advice, if I want to buy a car, for which the owner is having the duplicate book. He says the original is lost. But I heard, I cannot do a one day transfer, with a duplicate book & finance companies do not give money for duplicates, Is it true?

one day transfer is not possible;

friend recently bought a car with duplicate book on lease (islamic finance to be precise); but they charged extra 15k because it was duplicate, and also reduced the amount they were willing to lend by 50k (from 875k to 825k)

The Defender I bought from another AL member sometime back had the same 'Duplicate' Cof R.Never had issues with banks upon inquiry.Only hiccup was the one day transfer issue.That also can be sorted out 'under the table'wink.gif. This 'Duplicate phobia' is another purchase scam.

MINIACE

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, anyway I heard a stange thing about this duplicate certificate. Some people mortgage the car ( not with banks or finance company) but with individuals, by giving them the Original RC & signed MT 6 & 8. This Mudalali will not submit this to the RMV, but keep with him & give the owner some money for interest. This guy will get a duplicate RC & sell the car to a third person. If this guy does not pay the Mudalali, he will try to do the transfer, then all will be in trouble. I do not know how far it is true, but a big concern.

The Defender I bought from another AL member sometime back had the same 'Duplicate' Cof R.Never had issues with banks upon inquiry.Only hiccup was the one day transfer issue.That also can be sorted out 'under the table'wink.gif. This 'Duplicate phobia' is another purchase scam.

MINIACE

AFAIK the procedure to obtain a duplicate is going through formal police report. So it will be fully legal document when it comes to legal issues. Only thing I also can is the administrative issue with this one day transfer. As far as finance institutions concern its their own problem. If they don't want our business let it be. You can always can find alternate options.

Also I dont think duplicate will be issued on someones name other than the last legal owners name (correct me if i'm wrong.

if every things in order and if there are no legal problems with the duplicate certificate cant we tell the RMV the truth that we lost it and get a book without the duplicate mark by paying a fine or something?? :unsure:

I ones got a offer for a car the price was 2 or 3laks below the market pricee because of the duplicate book. but i refused that offer thinking that it will be problamatic when some day I want to sell it back.

Edited by Reckless

• 5 years later...

RMV usually refuses to issue a CR as original in the event of the original CR is lost. A duplicate book will be issued. However, as we are living in Sri Lanka, you know that things can be done under the table if you could shell out some money. As long as you know people in RMV, you should be able to get away with this. 

With regard to leasing facilities, it depends on the policy of the finance company. Most of the companies offer loans and leases for vehicles with duplicate CRs; however, they charge an additional amount for the one day transfer.

5 hours ago, NimalNonis said:

RMV usually refuses to issue a CR as original in the event of the original CR is lost. A duplicate book will be issued. However, as we are living in Sri Lanka, you know that things can be done under the table if you could shell out some money. As long as you know people in RMV, you should be able to get away with this. 

With regard to leasing facilities, it depends on the policy of the finance company. Most of the companies offer loans and leases for vehicles with duplicate CRs; however, they charge an additional amount for the one day transfer.

This is a six year old topic mate. Please be mindful when responding to old topics. 

• Like 1

• MADZ locked this topic