• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Building A Bbq With Car Parts

Sifaan

I've been flirting with the idea of building a small BBQ unit and was wondering if it could be done with junk auto parts

e.g. could an oil sump hold the coals? could a manifold be used to distribute air from a small fan on to the coals)? a radiator grille to place food on?

any ideas on what parts to use, where to get them from (ideal would be non-usable parts being sold for scrap, but not rusted), etc?

BTW don't care about fuel consumption or resale value :P

I've been flirting with the idea of building a small BBQ unit and was wondering if it could be done with junk auto parts

e.g. could an oil sump hold the coals? could a manifold be used to distribute air from a small fan on to the coals)? a radiator grille to place food on?

any ideas on what parts to use, where to get them from (ideal would be non-usable parts being sold for scrap, but not rusted), etc?

BTW don't care about fuel consumption or resale value :P

Do you want Toyota spares? :D

do you have some lying around? don't care about the manufacturer as long as it can be used for my purpose!

reminds of a thing used the movie gone in 60s.. good luck :rolleyes:

sounds interesting but i doubt a radiator core will serve you well as a grill top. holes are far too close and meat bits and marinade stuff with get stuck to it. also some of the cores are aluminium so that too might not fly.

toyed with a similar idea and then went for the easier, practical and boring route...half cut barrel :)

very happy with results :)

sounds interesting but i doubt a radiator core will serve you well as a grill top. holes are far too close and meat bits and marinade stuff with get stuck to it. also some of the cores are aluminium so that too might not fly.

a radiator core would certainly be a mess; I was thinking of the grille in front :)

toyed with a similar idea and then went for the easier, practical and boring route...half cut barrel :)

very happy with results :)

yeah, that would probably be the Plan B. btw do you just have coals at the bottom and a grill across the top; or did you do something to reduce the distance between coals and grill?

a radiator core would certainly be a mess; I was thinking of the grille in front :)

yeah, that would probably be the Plan B. btw do you just have coals at the bottom and a grill across the top; or did you do something to reduce the distance between coals and grill?

i have got the barrel in the center lengthwise and rejoined it back so the two halves can be opened and closed.

closed position is when you need a bit of steam to keep the meats a little moist :)

also it helps to keep the thing from not collecting crap when not in use.

drilled went holes at the bottom for ventilation and also draining

the grill top slots in on the top surface of the bottom half of the barrel and about 3 inches below that is a thicker metal sheet to hold the charcoal...

this setup has worked for me for a good 2-3 years now...

only hitch is that the unit is a little too big to be moved around to take on trips etc. although the cab can carry it it's quite cumbersome

on the positive side, it's big enough to grill lots of stuff pretty fast :)

lets see if i can snap a few pics and get it emailed to you.

not the prettiest but gets to job done :)

Watch out for chrome or other metal alloys that could impart contaminants into the food you grill...

As promised that my next domestic project..steps are being takensmile.gif got few more pic .let me know if need to see.

MINIACE

i thought of making this the Side table of the BBQ and the Booze Cabinet so can nicely keep as an ornament. as i'm getting a Prtable Gas BBQ which i'll be Fixing to the Front of this so the heat wont destroy the paintwork.

Will keep you guys posted once i finish work.

post-2933-044455800 1309750441_thumb.jpg

Edited by MRM

As promised that my next domestic project..steps are being takensmile.gif got few more pic .let me know if need to see.

MINIACE

All the best on your project mate.Hey if its possible could you post some pictures of the steps in makimg this.I'm also intrested in something like this.Hey wasnt there something like this in the movie Gone in 60 seconds

i thought of making this the Side table of the BBQ and the Booze Cabinet so can nicely keep as an ornament. as i'm getting a Prtable Gas BBQ which i'll be Fixing to the Front of this so the heat wont destroy the paintwork.

Will keep you guys posted once i finish work.

Keep us posted,love to see the process :alc:

All the best on your project mate.Hey if its possible could you post some pictures of the steps in makimg this.I'm also intrested in something like this.Hey wasnt there something like this in the movie Gone in 60 seconds

Sure will mate. (Steps are already being takenbiggrin.gif)

MINIACE

• 2 years later...