• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Prius Hybrid

joybook

I want to buy hybrid 2008 model, but here so many controversial comments here, please any genuine expert clarify me whether I can proceed or just go for Allion

that's gonna be a bit difficult now... genuine expert seems to have gone back to USA or something...

I want to buy hybrid 2008 model, but here so many controversial comments here, please any genuine expert clarify me whether I can proceed or just go for Allion

Just buy the Allion and be done with it.

I'm not a genuine expert of hybrids, I am a person who use a Prius 2008 model from February 2011 and what I can only say that It's doing 23 km/l average fuel and it doesn't have any problems yet..The decision is up to you..If you feel that it fulfills your needs go for it..No need to expect genuine experts ideas here, as there won't be such experts yet, as it's still too early to make opinions about this car.. :rolleyes:

Edited by AbeysinghE

• 2 weeks later...

Know what you're getting into first. I was a proponent of Hybrids in SL until I started looking into service side of the equation.

Below are some parts that is Hybrid unique that if goes wrong will set you back few bucks. Parts only pricing. All in US $$ and the cost in US. In SL prices may be significantly higher + labor if you find one that is qualified.

HV inverter $3,800

AC Compressor $2,800

Battery pack $5,000

Transmission $3,500 --- $7,000+ depending on what went out.

• Like 1

The Prius is a new car to the market + its a hybrid,so the'll be high maintanence cost,but in the mean time it gives you better km per gallon compared to a Allion and also you drive enviromentaly friendly .The Allion is a known car,with ample of spares availabel cheeply...If ure consideration is the petrol consumption,it is the prius,but when taking other factors on average,the Allion is way ahead.......My choice would be the Allion.Good luck.....Btw what is the model of the Allion you are reffering to

Know what you're getting into first. I was a proponent of Hybrids in SL until I started looking into service side of the equation.

Below are some parts that is Hybrid unique that if goes wrong will set you back few bucks. Parts only pricing. All in US $$ and the cost in US. In SL prices may be significantly higher + labor if you find one that is qualified.

HV inverter $3,800

AC Compressor $2,800

Battery pack $5,000

I'd rather buy a BMW and spend these prices on it

Mate, you have posted your question in wrong place :(

If you love to buy Prius and have any problem with your decisions, go and meet some prius owners(best place is Toyota Lanka, you'll surely found) ask them your questions. See Sunday Hitad, talk to some places where they maintain hybrids or import parts etc...

• Like 1

Mate, you have posted your question in wrong place :(

If you love to buy Prius and have any problem with your decisions, go and meet some prius owners(best place is Toyota Lanka, you'll surely found) ask them your questions. See Sunday Hitad, talk to some places where they maintain hybrids or import parts etc...

THIS is the wrong place????

Owners: No'one wants to look stupid about their 'hybrid' purchase so highly unlikely they'll say anything but "oh no its awesome, it does 30kmpl"

Toyota Lanka: Though they dont import it they still make a fair bit of money off them, so they wont tell you even if it IS bad

Parts importers: they'd rather you import a vehicle that breaks down and needs parts than something that runs trouble free for decades hence putting them out of business.

So frankly, members' personal preferences aside, this IS the best place to ask :P

• Like 1

THIS is the wrong place????

Owners: No'one wants to look stupid about their 'hybrid' purchase so highly unlikely they'll say anything but "oh no its awesome, it does 30kmpl"

Toyota Lanka: Though they dont import it they still make a fair bit of money off them, so they wont tell you even if it IS bad

Parts importers: they'd rather you import a vehicle that breaks down and needs parts than something that runs trouble free for decades hence putting them out of business.

So frankly, members' personal preferences aside, this IS the best place to ask :P

I don't wanna start a conflict by promoting hybrids. that is often happen almost every hybrid thread in AL.

But for your question, Yes, this is wrong place to ask about HYBRIDS because, lot of members in here don't like hybrids. unfortunately,that is true and proven fact :(

Owners: If there are 1-2 owners, we can say they are wrong. but10,000+ people can't be wrong.

Toyota Lanka: why they tried to import it before? http://www.toyota.lk/vehicle.php?id=prius they given it up because no one wanted to buy it for 7 million at that time. now situation is different. They are responding for the market demand. They'll start hybrid maintenance soon.

Parts importers: Until dealer start supporting officially, they'll play a good role (even after dealer start supporting). you can ask sphere part prices from them rather posting scary figures.

I don't wanna start a conflict by promoting hybrids. that is often happen almost every hybrid thread in AL.

But for your question, Yes, this is wrong place to ask about HYBRIDS because, lot of members in here don't like hybrids. unfortunately,that is true and proven fact :(

Which of the statements below sound like pure bias and hatred for hybrids? What Mani has stated are facts! DO you honestly think random guys driving on Prius's on the road/Toyota Lanka or spares importers will tell you the facts below (even if they know them)?

HV inverter $3,800

AC Compressor $2,800

Battery pack $5,000

AL members dislike hybrids for a reason. Let's say your fuel bill for an Allion is about 20000/month and it's reduced to 8000/month with a Prius. Effectively, you are saving 144,000 a year or about 700,000 over 5 years. Now if the battery goes bust within the 5 years, it's gonna cost you more for the whole replacement process. The total cost of ownership of a hybrid across a longer time period is significantly higher. And please don't tell me about cheap Singapore/China batteries that cost only 100,000. Nobody knows how long they will last or what other damage they will cause to the car (would you trust a cheap battery with your laptop, let alone the car?).

And if you think you will be smart and u will peddle off the car within that 5 years, think of this factor. The moment one or two owners start having troubles with expensive parts like the battery, the market price of Prius is gonna plummet, because of the panic in the market. So in the long run, Prius owners may face problems one way or the other.

Edited by Crosswind

HV inverter $3,800

AC Compressor $2,800

Battery pack $5,000

Mani, Just out of curiousity, where did you get this price list? On the other day I was going through ebay and found the hybrid battery packs starting from 600US $.

If you take an Axio (G) in to the equation fuel saving over the 5 years could be off set with the low purchase price. And as an added benift the peace of mind on not having to worry about the resale value or potential expensive repairs.

If you do a simple mathematical calcualtion one would have to run a Prius daily 90 km for at leaset 5 years to recoup the initial extra outlay of appriximalty Rs. 1.0 Mn. over an Axio (G). This is not considering the bank interest you could earn by depositing the Rs. 1.0 Mn. in the bank @ 10% (you will receive 1.5 Mn. in 5 years with interest)

Prius does not make any financial sence at current prices.

Man... you hit the nail squarely on your head! People here simply abhor hybrids! You know why? They're sickening... like a disease... a plague. Hybrids should be eradicated for the future well-being of our children! Death to the Prius! Kill all who resist! :bud:

Mani, Just out of curiousity, where did you get this price list? On the other day I was going through ebay and found the hybrid battery packs starting from 600US $.

If I am not mistaken, Mani works for Toyota USA.... :)

You must have checked out some pen torch batteries for your RC car.

Edited by VVTi
  • Like 1

May be the remote car comes with Hybrid technology hahahaha :ninja:

Yeah, I thought so, that's the price tag if you buy from agents.

btw how's the brakes on you'r bmw now, better get them fixed before you kill someone. :D

Yeah, I thought so, that's the price tag if you buy from agents.

btw how's the brakes on you'r bmw now, better get them fixed before you kill someone. :D

Car is at home. Safe. Getting the car fixed in the next few days when I have some free time. Thank you very much. Found any more cheap batteries for your car?

Car is at home. Safe. Getting the car fixed in the next few days when I have some free time. Thank you very much. Found any more cheap batteries for your car?

That's a relief. Maybe you can share the annual maintenance cost of your bmw with us, after you do that brake repair. :)