• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Service/garage Software To Find Replacement Parts

Sifaan

This is not quite a DIY in the sense of fixing something up by yourself, but it can give you control over the process of finding replacement parts :)

First, sharing my experience:

Citroen and Peugeot have online services, where you can (after registering for a free account) enter the chassis number of the car, and find the part numbers for any part on the car. It comes with exploded diagrams as well.

There is more info online which is not available for free, but I was able to download (~16GB) the garage software (for Citroen, it's called ServiceBox + SEDRE) which now gives me access to technical bulletins (called "Info Rapid"), dis-assembly instructions (complements the Haynes manual; Haynes' instructions are clearer but they only have photos whereas the software has diagrams), wiring diagrams, and diagnostic error codes as well.

Anyway, the parts info has been helpful in

1. Finding the part number (and even the superceded part number) for fuel pump, suspension spheres, etc. so I was able to order it from UK dealer. Any dealer would have been able to work with the chassis number, but knowing the part number speeded things up.

2. Buying parts from local dealers like Ideal. Didn't have to remove the part and take it there (which is anyway not always foolproof), could just call them and get the price on the part number. Again they can work with the chassis number but was faster this way

3. Buying new stuff on ebay - new parts are sometimes available cheaper than dealer (that's how I got the timing belt kit) and I could buy the correct part because I knew the part number I needed. Most of these sellers don't know to use chassis numbers

4. Buying parts from guys who hand carry from Singapore - give them the part number over the phone, and within few hours they give me the price to bring it down from singapore (much more expensive than option 1-3, but if 2 doesn't work and I need it quickly...)

5. Buying used stuff on ebay - if it's a breaker, if they give the VIN of the donor car, I can check if the part on it matches what I need - but the stuff I've bought used so far are either common across all cars (e.g. replacement door lock) or were trims that were easier to match visually). Also helpful to send them part diagrams to show them exactly what I am looking for!

Another thing that's been useful is catalogs/manufacturer sites

E.g. the purflux website can tell me the purflux filter part number if I enter the citroen part number.

Also the valeo climatisation catalog tells me that the AC compressor I'm looking for came on Petrol C5, C8, Pug 406, 607 manufactured after June 2002 (before that, they had a different compressor). It also comes on newer diesel cars (but different models; for some reason the newer C5s use a different compressor). Also confirms that even though the Sanden SD7V16 came on Volkswagens, the 1242 model did not.

oscaro.com (French or Spanish only, have to use Google Translate) also helps to cross-reference part numbers

Moving on to how this may be of benefit to others:

All the above experience can be used exactly the same way by Peugeot owners. Just the website is different or they need a 16GB download to have all the info. (Any citroen owners (Xantia/Xsara or newer; software doesn't work for classics like 2CV) are welcome to copy my download :D)

I know some AL members use garage software (e.g. for BMW) - I don't know if the info is also available on websites, but if they are, pls share them... Or maybe copy the software?

I know where to download more software (e.g. Elsawin for Volkswagen/Audi/Skoda) but it's a pain to do it on rapidshare type downloads and I don't need it for myself anyway... if anyone is willing to suffer the brain damage, I can give the links.

I've seen references to 3rd party sites (e.g. for toyota parts) so maybe those could also be listed here.

• 1 year later...

For those who have KIA vehicles, everything you need such as workshop manuals, parts list, maintenance schedules and technical service bulletins can be found at www.kiatechinfo.com . Registration is free but the site works best with Internet Explorer.