• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need To Buy A Suv For Less That 2.1M

TharakaWi

Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a SUV for the family. I am not all that bothered about the fuel, as long as it does 6 kmpl or more, that will be good. I am only concerned about maintenance. My options are as follows,

1. Toyota Rav 4 (301-, 302- : YOM 96,97,98)

2. Hyundai Santafe (YOM: 2000, 2001)

3. Suzuki Grand Vitara (YOM:98,99)

Is there other options for the price? What do you guys think about these vehicles...?

Edited by TharakaWi

Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a SUV for the family. I am not all that bothered about the fuel, as long as it does 6 kmpl or more, that will be good. I am only concerned about maintenance. My options are as follows,

Is there other options for the price? What do you guys think about these vehicles...?

Go for the santafe

newer vehicle, better space inside, looks even bigger, yet easy to drive,

But try to go for a manual as autos got some problems.

Hi guys,

below are some more options

01.kia sportage (below year 2000)

02.Mitsubishi Pajero IO (year 2000,2001)

If i were you i would personally go Toyota Rav 4. All of these SUV's fuel economy not having much of difference comfort wise Hyundai Santafe would be better than others.

below are some more options

01.kia sportage (below year 2000)

02.Mitsubishi Pajero IO (year 2000,2001)

If i were you i would personally go Toyota Rav 4. All of these SUV's fuel economy not having much of difference comfort wise Hyundai Santafe would be better than others.

Thanks for the quick response. Pajero IO is actually around 2.3-2.5 rage. Not within my price bracket :( . They are also known for fuel pump issues and relatively high maintenance cost... As for Kia sportage, I am not a big fan of it. Anyways, thanks for reminding it.

If you think Santafe is more comfy and as economical as Rav4, why would you go for Rav 4? Is it maintenance?

Go for the santafe

newer vehicle, better space inside, looks even bigger, yet easy to drive,

But try to go for a manual as autos got some problems.

As far as I know Santafe 2000/2001 came with only manual and Triptronic boxes. Do you mean this Triptronic boxes got problems?

Santafe is obviously a later model. Definitely, latest Santafe's look superb and are reliable. But weren't there complaints about reliability and maintenance of these 2000/2001 Santafes?

Thanks for the quick response. Pajero IO is actually around 2.3-2.5 rage. Not within my price bracket :( . They are also known for fuel pump issues and relatively high maintenance cost... As for Kia sportage, I am not a big fan of it. Anyways, thanks for reminding it.

If you think Santafe is more comfy and as economical as Rav4, why would you go for Rav 4? Is it maintenance?

Yes definitely RAV 4 is having less maintenance cost than others..I have one friend who is using 1997 model RAV 4..still he's happy with his machine and doesn't want to change it yet..he says he did very less maintenance compared to other compact SUVs his friends using..I have personally driven a Santafe from Kurunegala to Trincomalee and had a great ride..It was a 2000 model tiptronic one. :rolleyes:

Edited by AbeysinghE

But arent all your main choices slightly above the 2.1mil mark? I thought the rav4 and G.vitara went in the 2.5+ range (maybe the narrowbody G.vitara would go for slightly less)

Actually, i found 2 rav4 s of 96,97 rnd 2.1 ... Yeah, may be i mean the narrow model of grand vitara. This model only came in 98 n 99 i guess... There is a red one in AL also for 2mil. But hav seen them on paper for 1.9 odd

Actually, i found 2 rav4 s of 96,97 rnd 2.1 ... Yeah, may be i mean the narrow model of grand vitara. This model only came in 98 n 99 i guess... There is a red one in AL also for 2mil. But hav seen them on paper for 1.9 odd

You could think of MAZDA TRIBUTE as well.

Mazda Proceed you mean.... same vehicle in the end.. But i think the mazda comes only in diesels. As suzuki dont make diesel 2.0l engines they take the mazda engine and put it into their vitara body. Likewise mazda take the suzuki body and put it around their engine and call it the mazda proceed (lavante).

Yeah i saw that red G vitara with lights on the roof for 2.0 mil on the AL classified. Something bit funny though, it had a beige 2 toning (side-skirting, bumpers etc). But this model came with silver. Its the facelift model that came with the beige one, so this vehicle seems to have gone through a full-body paint I guess..

when I had same idea like yours abt 8 months ago with the same bugdet, I went for HRV (2000).It was a manual and doing very well on fuel and maintenance cost also minimum .Seen few recently with slightly high price tag and can recommend as very reliable SUV as per my experience.

How a 97/98 SUBARU FORESTER?

I totally forgot about those 2! Well, I saw a 2000 Tribute for 2.2 million in AL. Looks quite good. Should definitely include that as an option. Thanks mate

when I had same idea like yours abt 8 months ago with the same bugdet, I went for HRV (2000).It was a manual and doing very well on fuel and maintenance cost also minimum .Seen few recently with slightly high price tag and can recommend as very reliable SUV as per my experience.

HRV was my first choice... But they are now priced above 2.4 mil. I remember I saw them for around 2.1 , 2.2 few years back. Not anymore...

Mazda Proceed you mean.... same vehicle in the end.. But i think the mazda comes only in diesels. As suzuki dont make diesel 2.0l engines they take the mazda engine and put it into their vitara body. Likewise mazda take the suzuki body and put it around their engine and call it the mazda proceed (lavante).

Nop. He's talking about this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mazda_Tribute_.jpg

Comes at around 2 - 2.5 mill range. It runs on petrol and a bit of a gas guzzler but afaik it's a good machine to own.

Comes at around 2 - 2.5 mill range. It runs on petrol and a bit of a gas guzzler but afaik it's a good machine to own.

it's usually in the 2.5-2.7 range unless it's been hacked or converted to diesel. Not a good machine to own at all. Parts are hard to find and pretty expensive too. If you are going for the V6, make sure you gets lots of KY for the raping you are going to get when you have to buy parts. Given the age and mileage there will be a lot of repairs popping up.

At OPs prive range I would suggest a santafe or IO. The IO has it's own set of issues but other than the fuel pressure regulator, it's a pretty solid car IMO. Don't know much about the santafe other than bieng told by people that they like it and it doesn't have too much issues.

I totally forgot about those 2! Well, I saw a 2000 Tribute for 2.2 million in AL. Looks quite good. Should definitely include that as an option. Thanks mate

HRV was my first choice... But they are now priced above 2.4 mil. I remember I saw them for around 2.1 , 2.2 few years back. Not anymore...

Id Say the HRV is a good choice, Good Pulling power, fuel efficient, low maintenance if the regula services are donw on time, and youd like to throw it around often.... and is newer too... One of my frnds has a 2 door HRV and he luvs it ....

it's usually in the 2.5-2.7 range unless it's been hacked or converted to diesel. Not a good machine to own at all. Parts are hard to find and pretty expensive too. If you are going for the V6, make sure you gets lots of KY for the raping you are going to get when you have to buy parts. Given the age and mileage there will be a lot of repairs popping up.

At OPs prive range I would suggest a santafe or IO. The IO has it's own set of issues but other than the fuel pressure regulator, it's a pretty solid car IMO. Don't know much about the santafe other than bieng told by people that they like it and it doesn't have too much issues.

Thanks jdnet. I'll stay away from the Tribute. Pajero IO is a bit above my budget I guess. Santafe seems to be a good option. Do we have Santafe (2000-2003) owners in the forum?

Id Say the HRV is a good choice, Good Pulling power, fuel efficient, low maintenance if the regula services are donw on time, and youd like to throw it around often.... and is newer too... One of my frnds has a 2 door HRV and he luvs it ....

Thanks for the idea. As I mentioned before, HRVs go beyond 2.4 mil these days...

Thanks jdnet. I'll stay away from the Tribute. Pajero IO is a bit above my budget I guess. Santafe seems to be a good option. Do we have Santafe (2000-2003) owners in the forum?

Thanks for the idea. As I mentioned before, HRVs go beyond 2.4 mil these days...

There's also the Honda CRV and Hyundai Tucson, to add to your list.

As far as I know Santafe 2000/2001 came with only manual and Triptronic boxes. Do you mean this Triptronic boxes got problems?

Santafe is obviously a later model. Definitely, latest Santafe's look superb and are reliable. But weren't there complaints about reliability and maintenance of these 2000/2001 Santafes?

I've seen santafe's 2000-2001 with above 200k millage abroad without engine problems but it all comes to the auto gear box which is cr*p

But if u find a manual one it would be great because the reduction of market due t the auto gear problem means u could get a new one than the others u mentioned.

And when comparing with the rav4 which is a lot smaller and older the extra millage on the rav4s mean they could be heading on their way to the garage soon.

For the size the santafe's not bad on fuel too,

i use a 2008 model one no problems till now bought a manual because of the autogear problem but some say it is not there in the new model.

i sold my RAV4 2000 model for 2.1M HC numbers 300-302 should be lesser , it was a good vehicle less maintenance cost.

don't buy the Santafe it is a nightmare, you will be able to get even a 2003 model for 1.8 still you will not get much time to drive it more time in garages. my friend had the same he had all sort of issues and spares were pretty costly

• Like 1

Nop. He's talking about this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mazda_Tribute_.jpg

The tribute is from a different class and is much higher priced. But the Mazda Proceed might be available in the said budget as the sri lankan market places it lower than the G.Vitara even though physically they are the same thing

There's also the Honda CRV and Hyundai Tucson, to add to your list.

Thanks for the ideas Big_D. But CRV looks a bit out of my league. 99 ones also seek over 2.5 mil. I wonder there are older ones than that in SL (although they had been in production since 95). I'll keep an eye on Tucson. Might be able to find 2004 one close to this price

i sold my RAV4 2000 model for 2.1M HC numbers 300-302 should be lesser , it was a good vehicle less maintenance cost.

don't buy the Santafe it is a nightmare, you will be able to get even a 2003 model for 1.8 still you will not get much time to drive it more time in garages. my friend had the same he had all sort of issues and spares were pretty costly

Rav4 2000 for 2.1M??? May be many years back machan.... Now such vehicle owners seek like 2.7 - 2.8 mil!

The tribute is from a different class and is much higher priced. But the Mazda Proceed might be available in the said budget as the sri lankan market places it lower than the G.Vitara even though physically they are the same thing

Never seen a Proceed machan... Searched on AL and few other car sale websites, still couldn't find. Thanks for the info, I'll keep my eye open for this.

Never seen a Proceed machan... Searched on AL and few other car sale websites, still couldn't find. Thanks for the info, I'll keep my eye open for this.

There are some on the roads. And unless you look out for one you wont notice, cos except for the badge itself, everything else is identical.

Thanks a lot for all ur inputs.

I got some additional limitations... Since my mom may actually end-up using this we need this to be auto gear. Also it cannot be big like Santafe or Tucson. So the only options I am left with are auto gear Rav4 (96/97) or Vitara/Proceed.

I did a search on Rav4 in the forum. But didn't find any notable issues with auto gear ones. Info on 98/99 Vitara is a little limited too. Are there any known issues with these auto boxes?