• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota 121-Problem

kala

You are right Schiffer, but modern day engines maintain a higher coolant temperature (In Nissan it's 95C)to increase engine efficiency. So they are more prone for scaling if tap water is used.And the salt content of water is significantly higher in some areas.

I think Don can give a better explanation on this.

you may have a point.. i heard cities which are close to the sea contain more salt water than cities inbound like kandy.. but said that

the point i wanna bring out is that people who use water arnt complete idiots

and actually, we sort of have stopped helping the OP now :P

mate.. for your first service, just use coolent, and even if you doesnt, it isnt a big issue,

but to be on the safe side and personal satisfaction, just use coolent ^_^

• Like 1

Ordinary tap water contains salts.This causes scale formation on the cooling space walls at high temperatures and reduce heat transfer leading to failure of components. Am I wrong?. If distilled water is used this can be avoided upto a certain level.

You are correct Rover, but for this to have a significant effect takes quite a long time (20+ years). The problem is a bit worse if your vehicle is not being used as it allows the contaminants to settle. In vehicles which run regularly the impact is a lot less.

It must also be pointed out that scaling and oxidisation still happens even when coolant is used, just that it is slowed down. Remember most coolant is water based or mixed with water and still reacts with copper or aluminium in the radiator or pipes.

I'm gonna agree with Don here.

There's nothing wrong with tapwater. My had has been using tapwater in all the vehicles he's owned and we haven't seen any salt-rust related issues on any of them. And mind you sometimes one car or the other would go months without the engine even being cranked.

Coolant is 'NEEDED' mostly in European seasonal countries to keep the water/coolant from freezing in the winter.

IMO, true it might be bit better than tapwater but coolant is over hyped by coolannt manufacturers just like bottle-water companies promote it claiming it to be better and safer than contaminated tapwater to drink.

You are correct Rover, but for this to have a significant effect takes quite a long time (20+ years). The problem is a bit worse if your vehicle is not being used as it allows the contaminants to settle. In vehicles which run regularly the impact is a lot less.

It must also be pointed out that scaling and oxidisation still happens even when coolant is used, just that it is slowed down. Remember most coolant is water based or mixed with water and still reacts with copper or aluminium in the radiator or pipes.

Do not be much worry on coolant product name as this is not much critical point for this region. If you add water to coolant please take care to use pure water with out any contaminants. Do not use tap water which will have chlorines and salts which will ruin your system.

Toyota motor oil is made for Toyota by Mobil.

Edited by ccm