• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Automatic Transmission Problems

aakalpa

Question

I have Carina AT192 1.5cc petrol car (5A engine and spark plugs with distributor model) with auto transmission. Almost 6 months back I found a small oil leak out at ATF sump. So I manually drain the sump and clean the filter also and fill up with Caltex (power steering/ATF) oil. Everything was just fine and after around 2500KM - 3000KM I saw OD ON/Off indicator at dashboard time by time ON and OFF. Initially I thought it is something like a wire short at dash board. And after a while I experienced a weird gear shifting sometimes, it is like excessively race the engine but not shift to the right gear. In the morning this happens very often and then goes away. But now I have done around 4000KM and now it happens almost all the time. I showed the issue to a garage they said this model has only one censer relating to gear box and it is ok at the moment. I but I feel that they did not do a correct remedy for it.

So my questions are,

Is this some kind of a censer failing? Normally this model has only one censer?

If this is not a censer failing could be gearbox failing I guess so that means I have to repair the gear box, so is it wise to repair the box or go for a recondition gearbox? How much will it cost for a recondition box installation done?

Thank a lot.

Akalpa

20 answers to this question

I have Carina AT192 1.5cc petrol car (5A engine and spark plugs with distributor model) with auto transmission. Almost 6 months back I found a small oil leak out at ATF sump. So I manually drain the sump and clean the filter also and fill up with Caltex (power steering/ATF) oil. Everything was just fine and after around 2500KM - 3000KM I saw OD ON/Off indicator at dashboard time by time ON and OFF. Initially I thought it is something like a wire short at dash board. And after a while I experienced a weird gear shifting sometimes, it is like excessively race the engine but not shift to the right gear. In the morning this happens very often and then goes away. But now I have done around 4000KM and now it happens almost all the time. I showed the issue to a garage they said this model has only one censer relating to gear box and it is ok at the moment. I but I feel that they did not do a correct remedy for it.

So my questions are,

If this is not a censer failing could be gearbox failing I guess so that means I have to repair the gear box, so is it wise to repair the box or go for a recondition gearbox? How much will it cost for a recondition box installation done?

Thank a lot.

Akalpa

Hi, I think first and foremost, have you sorted out the gearbox fluid leak but that seems to be key here. Secondly you have to take the car to somebody who understands auto boxes. The good news is, if the gearbox needs replacement finding one should not be too big an issue finding one. Repair or replacement depends on the problem.

If the sensor is failing, the sensor can be replaced and this will involve your car being plugged into a diagnostic system to see if the gearbox is reporting any errors. But from what you said particularly with regards to the leak the problem maybe mechanical than electronic.

Hi, I think first and foremost, have you sorted out the gearbox fluid leak but that seems to be key here. Secondly you have to take the car to somebody who understands auto boxes. The good news is, if the gearbox needs replacement finding one should not be too big an issue finding one. Repair or replacement depends on the problem.

If the sensor is failing, the sensor can be replaced and this will involve your car being plugged into a diagnostic system to see if the gearbox is reporting any errors. But from what you said particularly with regards to the leak the problem maybe mechanical than electronic.

THX The Don.. Actually the leak is not anymore. could you recommend a good place where i can run a diagnostic test? If the problem is in the gearbox, according to your knowledge what kind of a situations i better get installed a recondition gearbox instead of repairing the existing one? thank u again.

Many mechanics in normal garages are really stupid,they are only good for accident repairs and stuff.....once when I had a problem with the power shutter,they told me to replace the central locking system.....For these types of jobs visiting reputated place is important...There is a place near the nawinna junction.Dont know much about them but they do look good..worth giving it a try...

I'm not an expert on autoboxes and don't live in SL for most of the year so lack the local knowledge to point you in the right direction.

Read this thread, lot more information there.

The point in which I would go for a replacement is if the mechanic is not able to give you a conclusive diagnosis or the cost of repair goes beyond 25K SLR. At that point it's more economically viable to replace it with a used box.

So my questions are,

Thank a lot.

Akalpa

sorry to say this bro..; but i think ur cluth packs are slipping. wont be that much of an issue for ur model.. there is a super guy for this in mirihana.. i will send u a pm

give me a call will let u know cant advertise on forums.. 0777335057

I second Supra, and please, if it's somebody you have experience with just post the information. Sending personal messages for things like this only serves to reduce the value of a forum. And aakalpa, if you go to this guy, please let us know your feedback as well.

I second Supra, and please, if it's somebody you have experience with just post the information. Sending personal messages for things like this only serves to reduce the value of a forum. And aakalpa, if you go to this guy, please let us know your feedback as well.

sure!!

• Like 1

So my questions are,

Thank a lot.

Akalpa

have you done regular ATF changes? you have symptoms of a bad/clogged valve body. if the ATF is very old (burnt/very dark in color) it looses its cleaning agents and build up varnish inside the transmission. when its replaced with new fluid it loosens up all the varnish and clogs the valve body. i have replaced/ cleaned out valve body's on Chryslers and fords and have had success with it. if you have high miles i would definitely consider changing the transmission.

key to keep your transmission running well is doing frequent transmission flushes since its new. i have abused my car to the max and transmission runs like a champ because i do tranny flushes with good quality ATF at home.

don't go to repair AutoGear box. its only money waist. replace with japan used Auto gearbox.

how do you really know that its a waste of money. your suggestion is to " Replace it with japan used auto gearbox", Again it is a used one. We don't know

what kind of problems with it. There is a risk in replacing it with used auto gearbox. :)

Hi all,

I don't know if i am allowed to ask this question in here. If I am not I apologize. Is this Chandana guy good ? I have a gear box issue and need someone with a good track record to have a look at it and sort it out for me. Thanks

chandana is good.. i have personal experience with the bugger.. but as usual with out buggers the estimated time to fix may vary.. give him a call and explain the situ.. 0773027118

Hi aakalpa,

The car (AT 192 ATM) I am going to buy had also kind of a problem. The existing owner said that eventhough the gear is selected to either D or R, the car takes several seconds to activate the forward or reverse movement. This time eventually had grown up to minutes. However when he went to a repair guy he had told him the issue of a valve and advised him to replace with a recon. gearbox due to unavailability of valve parts. He had replaced with a recon box under that repair guy and said now no such issues. However, I had a trial run I am not also 100% fit about the transmission. What my question is cld u please update me on your issue? Was this person Chandana able to solve your issue? 

Thanks.

Edited by Ted