• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What To Buy For About Rs 2 To 3 Mn

Chalieh

I work overseas and plan to be in Sri Lanka 1st week July. I want to buy a car for about 2 - 3 million. Its for a daily use to take my wife and child to univ / school. I myself would drive it only once a month when im in Sri Lanka when i also take trips outstation. What would be a reliable car ? I need an automatic as my wife doesnt like to drive manuals. What new car can i buy over the counter? I have been thinking BMW 320d, X trail, Carina, Primera, N17 or any new compact automatic. Im not looking for the most fuel efficient car nor a fuel guzzler. Cost of maintenance is also not much of an issue. Reliability is a must as my wife cannot be running up and down to garages regularly.

I think only the last three fit into your budget. Also civic (ES series), Corrolla (121) are in the range and fit your mentioned requirements. New cars :) - A-star, Maruti etc. Unreg - Viz, Fit, Demio.

I work overseas and plan to be in Sri Lanka 1st week July. I want to buy a car for about 2 - 3 million. Its for a daily use to take my wife and child to univ / school. I myself would drive it only once a month when im in Sri Lanka when i also take trips outstation. What would be a reliable car ? I need an automatic as my wife doesnt like to drive manuals. What new car can i buy over the counter? I have been thinking BMW 320d, X trail, Carina, Primera, N17 or any new compact automatic. Im not looking for the most fuel efficient car nor a fuel guzzler. Cost of maintenance is also not much of an issue. Reliability is a must as my wife cannot be running up and down to garages regularly.

2-3 million is a very large range. Are you looking for a registered or an unregistered car? You have mentioned 'new' in your post

Registered, between 2.5-3Mill - Corolla 122 Luxel, Honda Fit Aria, Toyota Vitz, Audi A4 Diesel, Mazda 3, BMW E46 are reliable rides.

Registered, between 2-2.5Mill - Honda City/Fit Aria older versions, Civic, Toyota Vitz could be some options

For this budget, I am personally very biased towards Fit Aria.

As for unregistered, you might only get the hatchbacks like Demio, Vitz, Swift, March, Passo for the higher end of your budget. March is a hideous looking car which does terrible on fuel but known to take a lot of abuse by the users. Swift is so-so when it comes to reliability (personal experience). No personal experience about Demio or Passo.

Edited by Crosswind

mate it's a different ball game to overseas please see my take on your pics

BMW 320d - frequent repairs and cost a fortune in comparisn

X trail - bad on fuel can give a bit of frequent trouble

Carina - no clue

Primera - bad on fuel bit expensive to maintain

N17 - no clue

If u want a registered car then get a 2004/5 facelift honda civic es5

if unregistered : get a suzuki swift or an A- Star

Thanks guys for all your comments. I gather that used BMW 320s are less reliable as they have more electronics. I am told that the 318i is a better option. Why is the X trail troublesome? I see a lot of X Trails in the country where I live and the models have been in production for almost 10 years. As for Carinas, i am seeing some positive comments in this forum. The Nissan Sunnys are a common sight in SL. I see no problems on spares etc with this model. As suggested by the ES5 may be a good option. Finally, are brand new SWIFTS or A Stars available as automatics and over the counter? I'm told that there is a 3 month waiting period. Appreciate all your advice.

axio for 2-3 million, check the 2nd hand market and talk.

go for the 320d,brilliant car,its got pretty much everything.you get a couple on AL itself.BMW is great if the owner was an enthusiast and got all records,preferably 1st owner car would do the trick.

axio for 2-3 million, check the 2nd hand market and talk.

go for the 320d,brilliant car,its got pretty much everything.you get a couple on AL itself.BMW is great if the owner was an enthusiast and got all records,preferably 1st owner car would do the trick.

the OP's main concern is reliability. Price isnt that much of a priority. So why not an automatic corolla 121 or a 110, it doesnt get any more reliable than that. The only problem mos tof us would not want one is cos they are unnecessarily overpriced and not that fun. Its his wife who will be driving it most of the time. I'm sure she isnt looking for a fun drive.

Anyway, the BMWs are more likely to give trouble, and since the OP's overseas his wife will have to take it to a mechanic and thats not very pleasant for most women, and there's a possibility of getting screwed over. So I wouldnt recommend a BMW to him. Plus, i dont think there's that many auto BMWs am i right?

whichever car you get (e.g. toyota corolla, nissan sunny) probably worthwhile for you to pay a bit extra to find a specimen that has been with the present owner for several years and comes with all the maintenance records. your wife will have less surprises :)

What do you think of an X Trail? A 2002 or the Gt Turbo??

The GT is a graet one but i suggest to go for the normal,

the GT does less kmpl(about 4kmpl) normal about 6-7kmpl (but the it is 280ps and the normal is 180ps)

I had to sell one which i had for less than the price of the normal one.

For that price range,

Toyota - 121/Carina

Nissan - N16/17

This is the best option to you, even you can sell, bcz both have good second hand market, good on fuel, less maintenance, parts freely available. N16/N17/Carina - Comfortable

For that price range,

Toyota - 121/Carina

Nissan - N16/17

This is the best option to you, even you can sell, bcz both have good second hand market, good on fuel, less maintenance, parts freely available. N16/N17/Carina - Comfortable

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys for all the advice. I finally bought a 2008 Vitz 1300 cc with 27k on the meter,leather interior, alloys etc. does 10 km per litre in city. Its called an ILL version with CVT gear box. Anyone else has any comments on this please let me know.

Toyota Corolla 121G / Mazda 3 /Toyota Carina ti my road /......Audi sucks..../Primera as last option

If you are going for a SUV try these

Pajero IO / Honda HRV / Nissan X trail /Rav 4/Mazda Tribute(Last option)

All the best

AVE