• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ac Gas Recharging

Sifaan

Question

A/C gas refilling, whenever I've seen it being done, has involved a thermometer in the airvent and monitoring the pressure while infusing gas into the system.

However, the "correct" way (at least for my car) appears to be to refill to a particular weight (625 +/- 25g in my case). Even the workshop manual gives the weight, not the pressure.

Of course, even if you measured the gas going in, this would only work if you knew how much gas there was in the car, which supposedly involves extracting all the gas using some machine, and then refilling. apparently there's some loss in this process, but generally speaking you'd pay only for the additional gas used (apart from labour charges, etc.)

I guess this system would also really make sense for certain kind of repairs (where otherwise all the gas would be lost).

anyway, my question is - does anyone know of any places that have the machine to do this?

Hmm you think there may be a fault in the control unit for the ac ? The bm's use a control unit called the ihka - autoaircon control unit that takes in input from a no of sensors - outside air temp / inside air temp . etc etc and controls the whole thing. They have been known to go faulty on the odd occasion according to the forums. No chance you can get ur car plugged into a diags to check that angle out ?

Cheers,

What happens if you disconnect the safety cut off ?

unplug the sensor? I think then it doesn't work at all (fail-safe). one thing that might work is to measure the "default" resistance of the sensor (e.g. after not using for a while) and hook up a resistance of that value to the wires. If it doesn't cut out then, it would point fingers at the sensor.

Hmm you think there may be a fault in the control unit for the ac ? The bm's use a control unit called the ihka - autoaircon control unit that takes in input from a no of sensors - outside air temp / inside air temp . etc etc and controls the whole thing. They have been known to go faulty on the odd occasion according to the forums. No chance you can get ur car plugged into a diags to check that angle out ?

yeah, need to get it on to a diagnostics and read out the sensor values and so on which should help track down the issue; actually there were also some issues in the past where AC didn't work (as in, no cool air in the cabin) and fiddling with the buttons (turning it off, then on, etc.) got it working again, so might have been that the pressure sensor (sensor or contacts) had been a bit dodgy all along.

unplug the sensor? I think then it doesn't work at all (fail-safe). one thing that might work is to measure the "default" resistance of the sensor (e.g. after not using for a while) and hook up a resistance of that value to the wires. If it doesn't cut out then, it would point fingers at the sensor.

yeah, need to get it on to a diagnostics and read out the sensor values and so on which should help track down the issue; actually there were also some issues in the past where AC didn't work (as in, no cool air in the cabin) and fiddling with the buttons (turning it off, then on, etc.) got it working again, so might have been that the pressure sensor (sensor or contacts) had been a bit dodgy all along.

Could the control unit inside the car be faulty ? or something as simple as a sticky relay ? I once had an issue the AC did not come on because water had gotten inside the control unit and rotted through a connection. A wire and a bit of soldering sorted that out !