• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Are The Current Fines For Accidents?

VVTi

Does anyone know what are the prevalent fines for specific accidents and any other related costs?

'VVTi',

My Driver had a Accident last year driving my van with a motor cyclist and the cyclist was hospitalized for two months.Driver pleaded guilty for his fault as he hit the cyclist when he over took a bus and he was on the other(Right hand) side of the Galle road.

Fine was Rupees 7500.00.

Cyclist had filed a separate case for compensation still pending.

Insurance is handling the case for me I never went for the case.

The driver retains a lawyer had agreed for full case Police early Rupees 10000.00. AS he was Remanded to bail him out and case went for five sittings. Now Civil case Rupees 15000.00 till the case is finalized.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks for that info, Sylvi. But when was this? Was far I was told the fine system is rather harsher now.

I was making a right turn with signals on and a moron on a bike tried to overtake me and hit my front wheel and fell off his bike. Though the police came they said that if we are ok then they will not pursue. But now the moron on teh bike has changed his tune and being an arse. So I am planning on going to the cop shop and making a compliant .

I know I ll be in trouble for not reporting it though.

He was scratched and bruised but nothing requiring hospitalization, though we went and took Xrays and all and I spent on his dressing, the doctors said that he is fine.

Now he is demanding I fix his bike and all. Car suffered more damage as the brunt of his impact was borne by the front wheel and the tie rod and rack ends are bent requiring a bit of a repair job.

Edited by VVTi

machang he overtook me from the right side while I was turning right myself. And he came so fast that the all the bystanders thought he died because he hit so hard. Damage to the car is pretty bad as the wheel was fully turned when he hit it. Tie Rod, rack end, some bushes were torn and a possible dented BMW alloy. When I tried to drive it the car was all over the place as it was having a severe right wheel toe-in situation. It was so bad that next day I had to send it to the garage in a car carrier.

Thanks for that info, Sylvi. But when was this? Was far I was told the fine system is rather harsher now.

I was making a right turn with signals on and a moron on a bike tried to overtake me and hit my front wheel and fell off his bike. Though the police came they said that if we are ok then they will not pursue. But now the moron on teh bike has changed his tune and being an arse. So I am planning on going to the cop shop and making a compliant .

I know I ll be in trouble for not reporting it though.

He was scratched and bruised but nothing requiring hospitalization, though we went and took Xrays and all and I spent on his dressing, the doctors said that he is fine.

Now he is demanding I fix his bike and all. Car suffered more damage as the brunt of his impact was borne by the front wheel and the tie rod and rack ends are bent requiring a bit of a repair job.

this is one thing i have noticed in SL.....they never seem to follow the indicator of the vehicle in front!....even if you have your right indicator on...the person behind you will still overtake!!

bdw i dont think the fault is yours!!

I think first of all u have to make a complaint. If trialed, you will be guilty for not avoiding the accident.And they may try to charge you for carelessness and not reporting the accident. But with an aid of a good lawyer you will be able to make not guilty for those charges. And AFAIK when overtaking the overtaker has to bear all the risks.And for god sake do not give single penny to the biker. It is a habit of them to make money if it seems other party is wealthier. Let the insurance people to handle it.I hope at least u had a 3rd party cover.

Is this happened in greater colombo area? Almost all the lawyers in aluth kade traffic courts are "kakkas".There's a lawyer called Nelson and he is the only one who is at least little bit better than others.

I recommend you Mr.Nelson if you don't have a personal lawyer.

Could someone well versed with the law advice on what we are supposed to do in such situations where the other party insists it's not necessary to go to the police? (How come there don't seem to be any lawyers on this forum?) Seems like the best way is no matter what the other party says you should go to the police?

Incidentally, did you give the guy your contact details that he is now pursuing you?

Could someone well versed with the law advice on what we are supposed to do in such situations where the other party insists it's not necessary to go to the police? (How come there don't seem to be any lawyers on this forum?) Seems like the best way is no matter what the other party says you should go to the police?

Incidentally, did you give the guy your contact details that he is now pursuing you?

(a) -- get a letter from him

(b ) -- no need to go to the police station in a situ as in (a) ONLY, - HOWEVER its advisable to do so, if you don't trust the other party - when he says - that he is not going to the cop-shed. If he does so, he'll be at an advantage in a Court of Law.

Edited by mirage7777

machang he overtook me from the right side while I was turning right myself. And he came so fast that the all the bystanders thought he died because he hit so hard. Damage to the car is pretty bad as the wheel was fully turned when he hit it. Tie Rod, rack end, some bushes were torn and a possible dented BMW alloy. When I tried to drive it the car was all over the place as it was having a severe right wheel toe-in situation. It was so bad that next day I had to send it to the garage in a car carrier.

Machang, was it a 2x2-lane road with lanes clearly marked? If that is the case and if you were on the right lane, waiting to turn right, you should be ok. There is also a law about this. Were there arrows painted on the road?

If its just single lane road, then it's a bit tough to use this for your favour.

Does anyone know what are the prevalent fines for specific accidents and any other related costs?

VVTi- the below mentioned are 'prevalent fines'. I'll update this as I find more details.

Regarding related cost - I assume lawyers fees etc? Well- it depends on each lawyer.

Since some are more efficient than others, [as in any profession] they might charge more.

To know who is efficient & who are not - I've put some details as how to retain a good lawyer. ;)

How to retain lawyers? ---[if you going to contest your case only - as the hassle wont be worth it if you are going to plead guilty on the first date itself]

Some like to retain experienced lawyers. I would advocate this IF they are well versed in the Law.[up-to-date with the new laws/amendments etc]

However you wouldn't know that by looking at a lawyers face - so best bet would be go and sit in Court the previous day or days and observe who makes the best submissions/applications.

[iMO -- I've have found out that up & coming lawyer would be the best bet.]

Well here goes with the basic punishments for accidents:-

'Recklessly or in a dangerous manner or at a dangerous speed' -->

a fine not less than one thousand five hundred rupees and not exceeding twenty fifty thousand rupees,

[ and on a second conviction to a fine not less than two thousand five hundred rupees and not exceeding twenty five thousand rupees and the suspension of his driving licence, and on a third or subsequent conviction, to a fine not less than three thousand five hundred rupees and not exceeding twenty five thousand rupees and the cancellation of his driving licence or to rigorous imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months to both such fine and imprisonment.]

Negligently or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway

a fine not less than one thousand five hundred rupees and not exceeding twenty five thousand rupees,

and on a second conviction to a fine not less than two thousand five hundred rupees and not exceeding twenty five thousand rupees and on a third or subsequent conviction to a fine not less than three thousand five hundred rupees and not exceeding twenty five thousand rupees and the suspension of his driving licence for a period of six months.

"EVERY ROAD TRAFFIC ACCIDENT SHOULD BE REPORTED TO THE POLICE" that's the law.period.

Getting a letter,promise ...etc everything can be challenged at courts and you will be guilty for above offense. Not reporting and mutual agreements under your own risk.Wise decision is reporting to the police specially if you have a slightest doubt about other party involving the accident.Road traffic accident is not a criminal offense, so you can avoid courts with mutual agreement with the other party but better to do it with the witness of police. If you go to a trial anyway you are guilty for "Not avoiding an accident". Seems unfair.But what to do. That's law.

"EVERY ROAD TRAFFIC ACCIDENT SHOULD BE REPORTED TO THE POLICE" that's the law.period.

Getting a letter,promise ...etc everything can be challenged at courts and you will be guilty for above offense. Not reporting and mutual agreements under your own risk.Wise decision is reporting to the police specially if you have a slightest doubt about other party involving the accident.Road traffic accident is not a criminal offense, so you can avoid courts with mutual agreement with the other party but better to do it with the witness of police. If you go to a trial anyway you are guilty for "Not avoiding an accident". Seems unfair.But what to do. That's law.

Didn't VVTi say "Though the police came they said that if we are ok then they will not pursue". Doesn't this mean he has already reported to the cops?

Didn't VVTi say "Though the police came they said that if we are ok then they will not pursue". Doesn't this mean he has already reported to the cops?

You should have something in black and white. Otherwise it costs only few bucks to turn a cop to a side.Then they will mutter "I don't know" or "I didn't see/hear" or more than that shamelessly.

And I said this fact generally and as an answer to SeanD's comment.

Edited by luckey007

I went to the cops last evening and reported the incident. Luckily the cop who I met was the OIC who sent those cops so in a way, they knew of the incident and they also confirmed that the bike bugger refused to come to the cop shop. SO I am covered for that somewhat. But things took a different turn with the bugger and now there is going to be court case.

Will let you all now how it goes after the meeting with all parties today at the cop shop.

Thanks for the comments.

I went to the cops last evening and reported the incident. Luckily the cop who I met was the OIC who sent those cops so in a way, they knew of the incident and they also confirmed that the bike bugger refused to come to the cop shop. SO I am covered for that somewhat. But things took a different turn with the bugger and now there is going to be court case.

Will let you all now how it goes after the meeting with all parties today at the cop shop.

Thanks for the comments.

'VVTi',

Go to Courts do not get afraid of the bike man try to get Police dragon the case so he will get fed up you may have to spend little money. Do the bike man has any evidence. Evidence is very important in a court case. I have gone number of times to courts for road accident cases some are my fault some are others after few hearings the both party's get fed up and get the lawyers to say to court the case to settle. You have to get police to favour your side in evdience.

Yes Fines are more than those days in Colombo courts good lawyer will not appear to you less than Rs.1000.00 for 1 day.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Thanks for the comments.

Sorry to hear that man. Hope things work out for you.

Ok back after a lengthy stay at the cop shed.

Moron on bike came with Goo Chandi posse and an attitude to match to the cop shed. Outside there was a brief exchange of words that ended up being with me being on his face in front of OIC and the OIC threatening me for disorderly conduct... :)

With the Goo Chandi posse sufficiently confused over a lone tiny guy taking on the pack leader in front of the police while accompanied by the lovely wife and BIL, the cops accompanied me and the moron to the place where it all happened. I explained the what, the Where and the How, they took their notes and measurements, etc.

While I agreed that the fault 'may' have been mine, he shot himself in the foot by saying his bike was 'badly' damaged and pointed out a few key components that were 'smashed' I happen to have them in the car at the time since the moron gave them to me for buying new ones and it as clearly evident that the bugger was trying to pull a fast one.

With the two cops sufficiently convinced who the man is and again sufficiently convince the moron was trying to take the cops also for a ride to make a fast buck off me, we went back to the cop shop and gave our statements.

Then the Goo Chandi pack vanished and he came begging not to go to courts as that will take too long and his bike needs fixing ASAP.

So I said that I was trying to be a gentleman about this and fix it but you tried to fleece me with a 6 figure (130K) repair bill, now you will have to face the consequence..... :) FYI, BMW repair bill less than 90K... :)

All in all cops took my license and gave a court date and the max I will have to pay will be a Rs. 5000 fine plus lawyer fees... :) That is if the judge on that happens to have a good day... :) If not I will bear the brunt of his bad mood... seen it happen.

Lesson to all of us. If you meet with an accident with God Himself and God himself wants to settle it 'amicably', go to the cop shop and report it and lay out the details of the 'amicable' deal at the cop shop.

Do not get in to personal deals with anyone involved in an accident as you cannot trust a single SOB on the road.

Even if it is inconvenient and a hassle, get the Police involved and you will find out that the cops are in fact a reasonable and helpful bunch that will not take sides unless you provoke them to.

And also, be wary of the CCTV cameras in town, THEY ARE VERY MUCH IN ACTIVE DUTY. One guy came with a crash that is in dispute at a junction and immediately a cop was sent with a CD-RW to get the camera footage for the cops to see.

Yes, we are high tech... :)

Edited by VVTi
  • Like 2

Moron on bike came with Goo Chandi posse and an attitude to match to the cop shed. Outside there was a brief exchange of words that ended up being with me being on his face in front of OIC and the OIC threatening me for disorderly conduct... :)

With the Goo Chandi posse sufficiently confused over a lone tiny guy taking on the pack leader in front of the police while accompanied by the lovely wife and BIL, the cops accompanied me and the moron to the place where it all happened. I explained the what, the Where and the How, they took their notes and measurements, etc.

While I agreed that the fault 'may' have been mine, he shot himself in the foot by saying his bike was 'badly' damaged and pointed out a few key components that were 'smashed' I happen to have them in the car at the time since the moron gave them to me for buying new ones and it as clearly evident that the bugger was trying to pull a fast one.

With the two cops sufficiently convinced who the man is and again sufficiently convince the moron was trying to take the cops also for a ride to make a fast buck off me, we went back to the cop shop and gave our statements.

Then the Goo Chandi pack vanished and he came begging not to go to courts as that will take too long and his bike needs fixing ASAP.

So I said that I was trying to be a gentleman about this and fix it but you tried to fleece me with a 6 figure (130K) repair bill, now you will have to face the consequence..... :) FYI, BMW repair bill less than 90K... :)

All in all cops took my license and gave a court date and the max I will have to pay will be a Rs. 5000 fine plus lawyer fees... :) That is if the judge on that happens to have a good day... :) If not I will bear the brunt of his bad mood... seen it happen.

Lesson to all of us. If you meet with an accident with God Himself and God himself wants to settle it 'amicably', go to the cop shop and report it and lay out the details of the 'amicable' deal at the cop shop.

Do not get in to personal deals with anyone involved in an accident as you cannot trust a single SOB on the road.

Even if it is inconvenient and a hassle, get the Police involved and you will find out that the cops are in fact a reasonable and helpful bunch that will not take sides unless you provoke them to.

And also, be wary of the CCTV cameras in town, THEY ARE VERY MUCH IN ACTIVE DUTY. One guy came with a crash that is in dispute at a junction and immediately a cop was sent with a CD-RW to get the camera footage for the cops to see.

I'm glad you put the bugger in his place machan, the biker boys of sl are worse the the trishaw boys, during the morning rush hour traffic all they do is knock peoples cars and scrape them and just go without stopping, and if they do something stupid (i.e over taking while your about to turn with the signal on) they will somehow turn it into being your fault. :angry-smiley-048:

but thanks for the info tis very helpful :) btw when you go to courts, take someone else with you just in case you need to get some extra cash or anything else, because once your finished with the podium at the courts, you can't leave untill you pay.

Best of luck to you in court. Thank you for putting all this up though. Whatever it is, you will help make sure we don't have to go through the same thing in a similar event. I am sure you'll be fine as that guy has made some critical mistakes along the way and is bound to do so again.

There will be 2 charges filed against you -- minimum fine would be Rs 3000/- [1500 * 2]. However fines vary according to each court house - as the incumbent Magistrate has a set method of fining. So the 5000/- quoted by you must be correct. [i'm assuming the cops informed you of same - they'll be aware of each fine]

As some one has advised you - better take some one else -- as some Magistrates put you in the cell till the fine is paid. [most dont --as this is not a criminal offence]

If that happens you need your friend to pay the fine --if not you'll be stuck there till the prison officers take their own time to take you to the office to pay the fine --unless they are adequately compensated.

I think I dont need to tell you this, but this is for the benefit of others --> always dress well and in sober colours. If not you'll end up with a lecture in front of others.

All the best!! ;)