• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Are The Current Fines For Accidents?

VVTi

There will be 2 charges filed against you -- minimum fine would be Rs 3000/- [1500 * 2]. However fines vary according to each court house - as the incumbent Magistrate has a set method of fining. So the 5000/- quoted by you must be correct. [i'm assuming the cops informed you of same - they'll be aware of each fine]

As some one has advised you - better take some one else -- as some Magistrates put you in the cell till the fine is paid. [most dont --as this is not a criminal offence]

If that happens you need your friend to pay the fine --if not you'll be stuck there till the prison officers take their own time to take you to the office to pay the fine --unless they are adequately compensated.

I think I dont need to tell you this, but this is for the benefit of others --> always dress well and in sober colours. If not you'll end up with a lecture in front of others.

All the best!! ;)

Yeah, been in courts a few times and I am quite well versed with the drill. But now in Colombo they don't throw you in, you can pay the fine yourself and come out. You just have to wait in a small area with the other traffic offenders till your file comes to the sherrof. Apart from that there is no issues, but outside of Hulfsdorf traffic courts the cell thing applies due to space restraints.

Yeah, been in courts a few times and I am quite well versed with the drill. But now in Colombo they don't throw you in, you can pay the fine yourself and come out. You just have to wait in a small area with the other traffic offenders till your file comes to the sherrof. Apart from that there is no issues, but outside of Hulfsdorf traffic courts the cell thing applies due to space restraints.

Yes,but still you can't go outside from the court house. So in case of emergency (short of money,give a message to home as you can not use mobiles inside) better to accompany someone.

Yes,but still you can't go outside from the court house. So in case of emergency (short of money,give a message to home as you can not use mobiles inside) better to accompany someone.

Yes, thanks mate. :)

• 4 weeks later...

'VVTi',

My Driver had a Accident last year driving my van with a motor cyclist and the cyclist was hospitalized for two months.Driver pleaded guilty for his fault as he hit the cyclist when he over took a bus and he was on the other(Right hand) side of the Galle road.

Fine was Rupees 7500.00.

Cyclist had filed a separate case for compensation still pending.

Insurance is handling the case for me I never went for the case.

The driver retains a lawyer had agreed for full case Police early Rupees 10000.00. AS he was Remanded to bail him out and case went for five sittings. Now Civil case Rupees 15000.00 till the case is finalized.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Is this done only for full insurance or also for 3rd party

Because when i asked the SLI they told that 3rd party covers damage to the other vehicle

is it also valid for law suits

A very informative read. But I'm confused...

Mirage/VVTi et al: Should not the bike rider also be taken to court for reckless driving(riding) and failure to prevent an accident.

Why is VVTi the sole respondent to the accident.

I know that in general mindset the sympathy is with the injured/less affluent/smaller vehicle party - but is it the same with the law or was there comprehensive understanding that VVTi was responsible for the incident?

TIA

This is Sri lanka mate, guy driving a BMW knocking an asshole in a D Tracker is always at fault.... :)

Just that next time if it happens, I will not care if the bugger is bleeding or dying, I will go to the police and wait until the cops sort it out. Or let the good Samaritan posse who flock to these matters bundle up the victim, rob him of his possessions and take him in a 3 wheeler to anywhere they like, to hell with first aid... :) I will wait for the cops to come and take my chances with the law that we have, no matter how flawed it is.

Trying to show a kind and human side to the average Sri Lankan motorist is like pulling the pin on a grenade. Its just a matter of time before it blows in your face.

Few years ago I helped out on a hit and run case and took the victim to the Biyagama hospital, the cops cleared me and all but the family tracked me down and started harassing me thinking I did it. I told them to go take a flying f... at the moon and go to the Police.

My advise is, DO NOT HELP OUT, DO NOT OFFER COMPENSATION, PLAY VITIM ALSO just take your chances with the cops and not the victim, the by standers or the effers family.

Its good if the de-merit system works and enforces some discipline on the roads. But if experience is something to go by it will just be another soda-bottle opening !

I'm sure all our members would have noticed the situation where at traffic light stops, some motorists (specially the 2/3 wheel variety) dont stay in line and overtake all the vehicles on the 'wrong side', while the traffic cops turn a blind eye !

Since of late I am thinking that the cops only stops new cars or anyone that look 'affluent' in their eyes, as stopping a trishaw bugger or a guy on a bike yields nothing for them in terms of santhoshams.

What LS110 says is true, threewheeler morons can get away with murder. What to do, voter base of some morons,

If u ran someone over look back to see if he is dead if not run him over again

like in Madagascar :violent-smiley-099:

That kind of shit happens only in cartoons, sadly in real life, you go to jail and get sodomized, lose your job, put your family through hell and back and face untold misery and hardship.

Dunno about you, but for me, a moron on the road is not worth going to jail for... :)

A very informative read. But I'm confused...

Mirage/VVTi et al: Should not the bike rider also be taken to court for reckless driving(riding) and failure to prevent an accident.

Why is VVTi the sole respondent to the accident.

I know that in general mindset the sympathy is with the injured/less affluent/smaller vehicle party - but is it the same with the law or was there comprehensive understanding that VVTi was responsible for the incident?

TIA

Correct - the other party should be made an accused too. [not in the same case -- a different case will be filed against him - under 'failure to prevent an accident'] However it depends solely on the discretion of the Traffic OIC.