• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Timing Chain - Nissan Fb14

blaknail

I have a Nissan FB14 and it has done 100000Km now. the person of the garage said that it has a timing chain not a belt so that i dont hav to change it. is it true? what is the Life time of Timing Chain of FB14? what r the maintenance things i have to do after 100000Km of my car? please tell me thanx...

You should not need to change the timing chain unless it develops an issue. They are built to last the life time of the car. Just get your mechanic to inspect it for play, any funny noises etc.

Then what r the maintenance things i have to do after 100000Km of my car?

Well you have to do what they call a "Major service". But this is not completely applicable to SL as vehicles are serviced more regularly. If you car hasn't been serviced recently I would do the following. Use a bit of common sense, as in if you've changed some of these things recently no need to do it again !

1. Full oil service, and change the oil filter, fuel filter and if necessary the air filter.

2. Change the spark plugs.

3. Clean the throttle body.

4. Clean the injectors.

5. Radiator coolant change.

6. Service the brakes and if necessary change the brake oil (this is particularly good if you have spongy brakes).

Well you have to do what they call a "Major service". But this is not completely applicable to SL as vehicles are serviced more regularly. If you car hasn't been serviced recently I would do the following. Use a bit of common sense, as in if you've changed some of these things recently no need to do it again !

1. Full oil service, and change the oil filter, fuel filter and if necessary the air filter.

4. Clean the injectors.

6. Service the brakes and if necessary change the brake oil (this is particularly good if you have spongy brakes).

Thanx a lot Mr. Don. i bought da B14 petrol car recently and i dont have a good knowledge about Cars and pls dont think im asking stupid questions. After how many Kms I shud change da oil filter, fuel filter and air filter after installed new ones?

Thanx a lot Mr. Don. i bought da B14 petrol car recently and i dont have a good knowledge about Cars and pls dont think im asking stupid questions. After how many Kms I shud change da oil filter, fuel filter and air filter after installed new ones?

dunno for the b14 by i generally change the oil filter every service.

air filter every other service after visual inspection. i never let the service station fellows "clean" it with compressed air.

If it looks like it needs cleaning, i just replace it.

On my corolla i did it every other service but so far...the air filter on the truck has been ok for over 3-4 months or so if not more.

It really depends on the kinda running you do and the environment the vehicle is driven.

i think fuel filter should ideally be changed every 30-40k. But considering that our fuel isn't the cleanest, it might be wortwhile changing it once a year even if you don't reach you mileage cap

Filters are rarely expensive so you're always safer changing them often.

dunno for the b14 by i generally change the oil filter every service.

air filter every other service after visual inspection. i never let the service station fellows "clean" it with compressed air.

If it looks like it needs cleaning, i just replace it.

On my corolla i did it every other service but so far...the air filter on the truck has been ok for over 3-4 months or so if not more.

It really depends on the kinda running you do and the environment the vehicle is driven.

i think fuel filter should ideally be changed every 30-40k. But considering that our fuel isn't the cleanest, it might be wortwhile changing it once a year even if you don't reach you mileage cap

Filters are rarely expensive so you're always safer changing them often.

Hi Ripper,

got a question. Why do you say cleaning of AF with compressed air is bad?

Cheers.

K9M

Then what r the maintenance things i have to do after 100000Km of my car?

4. Clean the injectors.

A quick note: Items 3. and 4. are to be done with caution. If your mechanic doesn't have a lot of experience with your particular model I suggest you just use additives to clean the injectors rather than let him experiment on your car. As ' The Don' mentioned common sense should prevail. I use STP injector cleaner (the super duty version packaged in black) every third service (every 15k or so) to clean the injectors of build up and so far that has worked for me.

In addition to the mentioned above: If you have access to a service centre with a hoist I'd get the suspension looked at. As a general rule of thumb inspect the suspension support arms, balls joints / king pins and sway bars. Look for uneven wear patterns on your tires and if suspect; inspect that particular side of your suspension assembly in greater detail. A good mechanic will do this for free as it doesn't entail much other than sticking the car up on the host. He'll tell you when you have to do some preventive maintenance on the items in question and make recommendations as appropriate.

If you're at a 100k's now; a transmission fluid change (for automatic transmission models) should be coming up. Check your car's service schedule (google it) for details as to exactly when its suggested and talk to a trusted mechanic about the viability of changing the transmission fluid based on how long you plan on keeping the car. Sometimes changing the transmission fluid leads to more trouble than its worth and its open to debate whether you really should or not...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ripper,

got a question. Why do you say cleaning of AF with compressed air is bad?

Cheers.

K9M

I think my friend Ripper has not spotted your question. I think the reason is cleaning with compressed air doesn't actually clean the air filter. It may simply push the dirt particles further into the filter and simply block it. The air filter is simply a material with tiny holes which allow air through and retain any dirt or dust particles within it. So it can't really be cleaned properly and it's not meant to be cleaned in that way. So if it looks dirty or after about 20,000 KM you just have to replace the filter.

• 1 month later...

I think my friend Ripper has not spotted your question. I think the reason is cleaning with compressed air doesn't actually clean the air filter. It may simply push the dirt particles further into the filter and simply block it. The air filter is simply a material with tiny holes which allow air through and retain any dirt or dust particles within it. So it can't really be cleaned properly and it's not meant to be cleaned in that way. So if it looks dirty or after about 20,000 KM you just have to replace the filter.

Or use compress air in way that it really removes dust particles.

replacing might be always good that cleaning/re-use.

Also air filter life should not be measured against no of miles it did, but also based on the condition of the roads ur travelling.

• 7 years later...

Just adding some information to an old thread because I assume that this will be useful for someone in future.

Most of Nissan gasoline engines  (QG15DE, QG18DE, QG18DD, QR20DE, QR20DD, QR25DE, QR25DD, VQ...etc.) uses timing chains and no need to follow the 100,000km service inteval unless they are giving issues.

But, generally it will start giving issues after 200,000km (depends on the maintenance). Over the time, chain will be stretched couple of millimeters and cause timing issues. Of course chains are not stretching; what happens is links of the chain wears and increases the gap. Finally we have a stretched chain.

Most common symptoms of a stretched chain are:

1. Rattle at start-up (faulty tensioner, oil filter which isn't holding pressure or a faulty chain guide also can be the culprit)

2. Loss of power.

3. Idle issues and stalling.

4. Cam, P0340 and crank, P0335 codes will be thrown even after changing sensors.

5. Random misfire or primary ignition failure P1320.

Those are the most common symptoms of Nissan's stretched timing chain.

The most accurate way to diagnose a stretched timing chain is through an oscilloscope by checking CAM and Crank signals. This may be hard procedure in here? I don't know.

The easiest way to diagnose is by removing valve cover or timing chain inspection lid and looking at the main tensioner. If the tensioner piston has came out more than 10mm, then you have a stretched timing chain. Newly installed timing chain won't allow the tensioner piston come out more than 5mm.

Finally, changing the timing chain is bit difficult and expensive repair (over 25k depends on the engine and parts quality). You have to remove the timing chain cover on QG series and you have to remove both the timing chain cover and lower part of the sump on QR series because the QR series engine has an extra small chain and tensioner to drive the balancer unit. This repair procedure includes changing two chains, two tensioners , two guides, crank and exhaust cam sprocket.

By following proper service intervals and recommend oils, this system will last longer.

Edited by TG10E24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting that your car , took two decae

On 6/2/2011 at 5:42 PM, blaknail said:

I have a Nissan FB14 and it has done 100000Km now. the person of the garage said that it has a timing chain not a belt so that i dont hav to change it. is it true? what is the Life time of Timing Chain of FB14? what r the maintenance things i have to do after 100000Km of my car? please tell me thanx...

may we see this engine please? Because Nissan has been fitting belt driven timing gear since the B11 ?

59 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

what? The FB 14 had a B13 engine?? dafaq man? 

He means that both the B14 and B13 series Sunny came with the GA13 and GA15 engines.

However....the B13 came with the GA13DS and GA15DS engines (which are carb'd) and the B14 came with the GA13DE and GA15DE EFI engines. But this was mainly for the JDM market. For the export market the Sunny came with the GA14DS and GA14DE as well as the GA16DS and GA16DE.

But even then I thought all of the above engines came with a timing belt...and I checked the parts catalog and it does have timing chains for all the above engines...

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 4:00 PM, iRage said:

He means that both the B14 and B13 series Sunny came with the GA13 and GA15 engines.

However....the B13 came with the GA13DS and GA15DS engines (which are carb'd) and the B14 came with the GA13DE and GA15DE EFI engines. But this was mainly for the JDM market. For the export market the Sunny came with the GA14DS and GA14DE as well as the GA16DS and GA16DE.

But even then I thought all of the above engines came with a timing belt...and I checked the parts catalog and it does have timing chains for all the above engines...

The agent imported brand new B13 came with GA14DS as well.