• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Timing Belt Replacement

abiman

Hello,

I'm planning to do Timing belt and related parts replacement of my Toyota CE110 1997 (2C engine).

I was told that I have to replace Timing belt, Tension adjusting bearings and some oil seals.

I have few questions on this matter,

1. Can I buy genuine toyota parts from some ware except Toyota Lanka at lower price?

2. Is is possible to identify genuine parts from copies.

3. Do I have other brand choices than Toyota parts comparing Price and Quality?

4. Is there any place around Galle to buy this parts?

5. Please let me know reputed place to get this done around Galle.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I'm planning to do Timing belt and related parts replacement of my Toyota CE110 1997 (2C engine).

I was told that I have to replace Timing belt, Tension adjusting bearings and some oil seals.

I have few questions on this matter,

1. Can I buy genuine toyota parts from some ware except Toyota Lanka at lower price?

2. Is is possible to identify genuine parts from copies.

3. Do I have other brand choices than Toyota parts comparing Price and Quality?

4. Is there any place around Galle to buy this parts?

5. Please let me know reputed place to get this done around Galle.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry Abiman. Can't help you with the questions on Galle. You will have to rely on reputation on the parts dealer to know for sure he is supplying you an original. Fakes these days look very much like the original, but this is the same for many products. I've never bought goods from a dealer but I buy it from reputed places I've had experience for many years.

I am sure you can get a genuine timing belt replacement kit in Galle for a Toyota 2C engine.

I would always always only replace a timing belt with a genuine product. But they whole kit in one go which will include the adjuster and the adjuster bearing and other bits which are dependent on the specific model of car. You should also inspect the water pump (if it's run by the timing belt) and replace it at the same time to save hassle later on.

Sorry Abiman. Can't help you with the questions on Galle. You will have to rely on reputation on the parts dealer to know for sure he is supplying you an original. Fakes these days look very much like the original, but this is the same for many products. I've never bought goods from a dealer but I buy it from reputed places I've had experience for many years.

I am sure you can get a genuine timing belt replacement kit in Galle for a Toyota 2C engine.

I would always always only replace a timing belt with a genuine product. But they whole kit in one go which will include the adjuster and the adjuster bearing and other bits which are dependent on the specific model of car. You should also inspect the water pump (if it's run by the timing belt) and replace it at the same time to save hassle later on.

Can you tell me few such reputed places to buy timing belt kit, around Colombo/Malambe which you had experience. (I work @ malambe)

Can you tell me few such reputed places to buy timing belt kit, around Colombo/Malambe which you had experience. (I work @ malambe)

MM Organisation in Panchikawatte has a reputation for supplying original Toyota parts. I live in Nugegoda so there is a place in Kohuwala junction called Hewage, which is a good shop and I buy most of my parts from them, but stay away from a show down the road called AU Motors.

Edited by The Don

• 8 years later...

Posting this as it will hopefully benefit future readers. Unless all the hybrid threads and value for money threads chase all the useful members here.

So about 2years ago we purchased an L200, as a fleet vehicle, runs between Kandy and UVA and down south for plantation purposes, high mileages with passengers but no tub load.. The thing had done approx 100k km when we got it, the so called seller/ first owner / well known relative vowed the Timing belt was changed, being my paranoid self I took it to The agent once a year for inspection, drivers handled the routine services. 

So upon inspection, the belt was pristine, nevertheless not even dust had gone past the cover. 

So this thing has the 4D56U engine, common rail turbo, got lots of grunt and we use super diesel on it, and religiously make sure the driver does it too. 

So last week at about 150,000 odd km near bible, the thing came to a halt. To see the timing belt and the balancer belt both torn apart. Well it’s a 4d56 how bad can it be, said my dad,  So put the thing on a carrier, had it bought to my mechanic, not the agent this time. To see this engine ain’t nothing like the old 4d56

its got 2 cams for the valves run by the belts, tappets deep in the head, no typical pushrods, the whole head is different, 

and this an interference engine, sadly, 
so the forged pistons decided to do a number on the valves, which in turn cracked the cams and split the head, stripped the teeth off the vacuum pump, and sheer all the reaming for oil channels, and crack a few studs between the engine and head.
after around 0.8mil and a week of garage duty it’s back on the road now. 
the Sad part is
 the bore was 99.99% in good shape, turbo like new. but had to source a new head with internals, new pistons, new bearings, new crank coz of my ocd. 
The agents were extremely resourceful, despite the price had almost every part.

Lesson learnt. Do follow 
If the car has done 100,000km or anything near the timing belt / chain interval, do the replacement, don’t believe any scum, no matter how known / related they are, just do it, or buy with a margin to do it, 

Because once the whole thing was apart we realized the schmuck had not changed the belt or the kit.

Despite me repeatedly asking and asking for the receipts which he promised but never gave. 

Do not assess timing belts based on looks / wear

Engine codes maybe the same, it doesn’t mean it’s the same engine, newer engines need more attention. 

All in all it was fun to rebuild an old school engine, but it came at a price. 
DO PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE OR BE GENUINE AND LET THE NEXT BUYER KNOW. if he haggles on that the price is upto u but just 
Don’t let your ignorance ruin a good car.

Edited by tiv
  • Like 3

Sad to hear about the car. Glad to hear that you got the thing running again. 

An addition to your warning. Its not just mileage...it is also age. Most belts have a service life of 10 years (some less). So irrespective of the mileage of the car..if the time is up..change it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, iRage said:

Sad to hear about the car. Glad to hear that you got the thing running again. 

An addition to your warning. Its not just mileage...it is also age. Most belts have a service life of 10 years (some less). So irrespective of the mileage of the car..if the time is up..change it.

Agree with iRage. That is why in my Lancer, first  engine belt replacement done at 45,000km, as it already passed 6 years. Recently I saw a Lancer CS (YOM  2011) at agents and done only 10,000km .  Agents instructed owner to changed the timing belt due to time factor and she replaced timing belt. Another point is ,don't wait for exact 100,000km. In Colombo with heavy traffic Jams, engine keep running while odometer keep stationery. Need to consider this point as well according to the agents.