• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Air Bag Light On

sanjeew

Dear Friends

I have suzuki swift ht51s auto gear, and today morning “Air Bag” Light On continuously when driving to work place (about 5km), evening I’m check it when ignition on “air bag” light blink 6 time and off. Then back to home time to time “air bag” indicator on and off.

One month earlier did steering rack bush replacement.

What are the best thing to do, I’m from Badulla

Sanjeew

Dear Friends

I have suzuki swift ht51s auto gear, and today morning “Air Bag” Light On continuously when driving to work place (about 5km), evening I’m check it when ignition on “air bag” light blink 6 time and off. Then back to home time to time “air bag” indicator on and off.

One month earlier did steering rack bush replacement.

What are the best thing to do, I’m from Badulla

Sanjeew

I'm sorry, I can't comment on this particular model since I'm not familiar with it.

This light comes for a number of reasons. Usually it is a problem with the airbag ECU, or sensors (sometimes your seat belts have sensors in them to indicate that the seat belt is being worn etc). The obvious solution is to plug the car to a diagnostic system which would tell you which system the error is with.

You really shouldnt be playing around with the airbag control unit. But FYI, it is located between the two front seats under the handbrake lever. To access it, you need to remove the plastic console between the two seats. Two screws in front and two more are hidden between the two seats if I remember correctly. All you can probably do, is to check if the connections to it are ok. Again, if you (or your bass) need to be very very careful not to mess it up even more.

If you did any work in the area which I am talking about (such as adjusting the handbrake cables or even an interior cleaning), there is a remote possibility of it affecting your airbag control unit. I really can't connect the steering rack bush replacement with airbag light coming on. Perhaps someone else might like to enlighten me on that.

For the HT51S, there is no seatbelt sensor except for a cable that is wired to the seatbelt light. so that wouldn't cause the airbag light to come on.

When you doing the steering repair, if the mechanic disassemble the connection from steering wheel and rotate it beyond the limits, this can be happened. In normal Japanese cars there is the spiral type electrical connection at the steering wheel for the air bag. This spiral can be damaged. So extra care required when carrying out repair at these components. If you connect a diagnosis kit this can be traced.

• 1 year later...

When you doing the steering repair, if the mechanic disassemble the connection from steering wheel and rotate it beyond the limits, this can be happened. In normal Japanese cars there is the spiral type electrical connection at the steering wheel for the air bag. This spiral can be damaged. So extra care required when carrying out repair at these components. If you connect a diagnosis kit this can be traced.

One of my friends had the same issue, your post helped me to solve his too.. thanks

Edited by slcamel