• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Average Lifetime Of A Car Battery In Sri Lanka

CodeMaster

Question

Guys, few questions,

$ What is the average lifetime of a car battery here in SL?

$ What are the best practices to keep car battery healthy in SL?

$ What are the good car battery brands (not high cost ones) here in SL?

$ What are points we need check when buying a new car battery?

:alc:

Guys, few questions,

President. Don't know if it's still available in the market though.

My opinion:

1. Don't touch Exide with a barge pole.

2. Try Lucas or Yucon. Maybe President.

Bollocks! I'm using atleast 8 Exide batteries simultaneously at the moment and have been using them for sometime with out any issues.I get 3 years of heavy usage out of them which is perfectly acceptable...and FYI Exide and Lucas are basically the same battery.

• Like 1

for me the best battery is VARTA!its been in my car for more than 4-5years and still not a single issue.

great battery,,the only thing you have to do is to check whether the light is green(ok) or red(replace) in the battery it self once a month while checking your coolant and engine oil level.thats it..since its sealed..no need of filling water and acid.

does anyone know where i can buy varta batteries in sri lanka?and how much it would cost?

thanks alot!

I've used Exide (about 3), Dagenite (once) and President (once) batteries in the past and I'm also using Exide at present (in both my cars). I'm perfectly happy with all the Exides I had.

On the other hand, the President battery I used didn't last too long (didn't even last as long as the cheap Dagenite). I bought it at a time when there was a massive marketing campaign for the brand and I was sorely disappointed.

Anyone like to clarify why Exide is bad and President is good?

Edited by Crosswind

My opinion:

1. Don't touch Exide with a barge pole.

2. Try Lucas or Yucon. Maybe President.

3. Keep the water topped up.

Don't know what makes you condemn Exide.... unless you had used one of the Maintenance Free Batteries they imported and sold around 2002 which was the only batch that gave trouble. I've used Exide on every single car I owned and have had no issues whatsoever even with the Maintenance Free one I mentioned earlier.

As someone correctly said earlier, in Sri Lanka, Exide, Lucas & Dagenite are made in the same factory. However there are also imported variants available - like the DIN Type one fitted on the Bimmer.

I have also used Amaron Maintenance Free type once with very good results - 3+ years without ever touching the battery.

How long the battery lasts depends a lot on how you look after it and how often the car is run. If it's a regular battery, you should have it serviced once a month to check the electrolyte and top up if necessary. On average in our climate on a car with an A/C, a battery would last 2.5 to 3 years. Noticed that in cars such as Minis and BMW, where the battery is located in the boot rather than under the bonnet, the battery lasts considerably longer - over 4 years consistently.

In Sri Lanka you should check your battery more frequently during the Hot, Dry periods as they tend to lose electrolyte faster in this kind of weather.

Ohh.... and never 'Top Up' the water yourself.. always get it done at a place which is properly equipped to service batteries. Too much distilled water can also be harmful in some cases.

Edited by nira74
  • Like 1

Guys, few questions,

'CodeMaster'

Average lifetime of a battery in Srilanka is 2 to 3and half years

To keep the Battery in top performance have to service battery check battery water level every 15 days and top up in every 30 days.

I have used all Brands of Battery's in the market for last few decades At present I use Exide.

AS all batteries carry a guarantee you have nothing to worry when you buy a Battery.

What I write was not requested by you still I thought will add same to this post because under is necessary to maintain a good battery life of a automobile.

Alternator charging has to be in good order if not most battery problems will come up. If the Alternator voltage is high then battery water will evaporate very soon.If Alternator voltage is low you will have starting problems after a night drive in the next Morning with all your equipment of the Vehicle switched on in the night.

I all ways recommend to have a small battery charger connected in the night to the battery so that battery will be full in the Morning for a quick start in the morning if the Vehicle other relevant equipment is in good order.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

'CodeMaster'

Average lifetime of a battery in Srilanka is 2 to 3and half years

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Does this apply to diesel cars also? My experience is for a diesel car it is about 2 and

rarely 2.5 years max.

well..imho...battery life depends on the type of running too.

If you do fair bit of short runs, the battery tends to die sooner!

most of the battery power is utilized when cranking the motor and multiple start stops in short distances wont give the battery enough time to recover properly.

ALso things like high end stereos, auxuiliary lighting etc etc too have an effect

Since there are lots of little variables like this, it's tought to put down an exact timeline for a battery to perform at it's best.

I would say you should definitely get over 2 years of service from a decent battery hooked upto a properly working charging system on a vehicle.

ANything over 2.5 years is a bonus imho!

Members,

As Member Ripper said I agree to his comment on battery life.

I mentioned battery life is 2 to 3.5 years because I have used and my friends used battery's for mentioned average time with night battery charger.

Diesel Engine cars starter motor needs high amperage battery.Gasoline engine cars use low amperage battery's.

Still you can extend for some time if you have a small battery charger connected in the night to the vehicle battery. I write through my experience in the past of extending battery life.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I've used a brand called INCOE that's imported by D*****s & S**s. didn't have any issue with it and replaced it recently with an Exide maintenance free battery with a 24 month warranty. Mine's an Auto so batteries wear down faster than a manual.

I've used a brand called INCOE that's imported by D*****s & S**s. didn't have any issue with it and replaced it recently with an Exide maintenance free battery with a 24 month warranty. Mine's an Auto so batteries wear down faster than a manual.

Auto as in autogear? How do batteries wear down faster?

Members,

Early days all motor Vehicles used 60 Amperes and above.Japanese motor vehicles have small improved starter motors compare to older cars.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

ok then. that explains why mini minor has a 70A battery :)

thanks sylvi.

Does anybody have expierience with Global batteries?

My car has a Global and according to the previous owners records,it's nearly three years old now,still fine.

Also,what's the reason for relatively shorter battery life in SL? Hot climate or/and local manufacturing standards?

I' ve expierienced factory fitted maintanance free batteries last upto 5-6 years under mostly cold climates with full time AC/heater ,and something like a radar detector or a DVD player always hooked up to the 12v outlet.Many of these cars used to do a lot of short,stop and run drives and always run with stereos on.

And someone told me that maintanance free batteries has a shorter life time than conventional batteries in SL,is this right?

Edited by techlove
  • Like 1

Had a Excide in my previous car and the dam thing went bust 1 year and 1 month from date of purchase. Warranty was for 1 year. This was despite me checking the water levels on a regular basis.

Got a Lucas 2 year warranty maintenance free battery recently - so far so good. cost was somthing like 7000/- returning my old one

One advice is – make sure you take the book that they given and get it checked regularly as the agents tend to make a fuss if something happens during the period.

In recent years

2xPresident (lasted bit more than a year)

1xGlobal (Lasted abt 1.5yrs One of the chambers did not do its job right so had to discard the entire thing)

1xExide (Going on 2nd year n so far no issues - Gahapu gaman start :D )

Last time I checked Amaron has 3yrs warranty. 2yrs replacement n 3rd year some cash back system. Never used it but they boast that "Amron battery is having a highest cold cranking Amps"

No matter how good the battery is, if u don't look after it properly it'll do the same to you. Then again it applies to everything ;)

I had a Gemini JT600 for 12 years, when I bought it there was an Exide and it ran about 3 years, and then I replaced the battery with an Exide again. I maintained it well and the battery lasts for 5 years. Because of the past experience I replaced the battery with the same brand again and maintained in same way. The battery was in very good condition after 4 years when I give the car away.

Next I bought a AE110 crystal light, there was an Exide and gave no problem for 2 years which I used it. Now I have Honda Fit Aria with a GS battery, which I feel some battery problems.

• Like 1