• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Increasing Pulling Power Of A Diesel Car

Bimsara

Question

I own a Toyota Starlet manufactured in 1997 and Diesel.....(1500cc)

it currently an automatic transmission car.

is it possible to convert it to tiptronic.....??

or any other method to increase pulling power...?

Because I have done injector cleaning, injector replacement, injector pump service and cleaned the engine with an engine oil flush to do so....and returned me no good feedback.....

If there is a way to keep my existing engine and do a modification to increase the engine power please help me....

the engine is in good condition and its not at a repair status.......no oil leaks nothing....

Thank You for your kind replies....

11 answers to this question

Does your car currently have a turbo and is that turbo in good condition ?

I don't think converting it to triptronic will give you much performance benefits, plus it won't be an easy job if a version of your car or engine wasn't available with triptronic.

I own a Toyota Starlet manufactured in 1997 and Diesel.....(1500cc)

it currently an automatic transmission car.

is it possible to convert it to tiptronic.....??

or any other method to increase pulling power...?

Because I have done injector cleaning, injector replacement, injector pump service and cleaned the engine with an engine oil flush to do so....and returned me no good feedback.....

If there is a way to keep my existing engine and do a modification to increase the engine power please help me....

the engine is in good condition and its not at a repair status.......no oil leaks nothing....

Thank You for your kind replies....

changing the Transmission to Trip tronic wouldn't help much. Try Turbocharging as suggested by Don. A Starlet GT turbo would fit in I guess :).Change the Air filter to an Inbox High flow filter(K&N) which would increase the low end power.

Edited by kelum_wj

before try to convert transmission in your car as other members suggested fit it with a turbocharger will be the best idea if you still want to convert it try a manual transmission conversion it's way better than auto gearbox.

before try to convert transmission in your car as other members suggested fit it with a turbocharger will be the best idea if you still want to convert it try a manual transmission conversion it's way better than auto gearbox.

I wouldn't just go ahead and fit a turbo charger, because you can't just turbo charge an engine just like that. You need a block and pistons that can handle the extra pressure, plus if the engine is run by an ECU the fuel maps have to change.

My question above was if the car was turbo, and if so, if the turbo was in good condition. Turbos wear down over the years and even a slight play on the shaft can seriously hinder performance.

Also it's worth checking if the engine is in good order. You also lose power if the engine is under compression, or if the clutch is slipping for example.

If it did not come with a Turbo the best option is to upgrade to a Starlet GT turbo diesel engine, but he will have to do a cost vs benefit analysis, and check part availability before committing to it.

• Like 1

1+ on what Don says...

also this pulling power you speak of...is it poor acceleration that's bothering you?

with most diesels...especially N/a motors you have to live with poor acceleration or "pick-up" as most people call it.

If you clutch plates etc are in good shape and you have done all the injector related service also...maybe that's all that car can give you.

Unless you do an engine swap!

No it's not a turbo charged car.....

but there is a turbo version availble in this model....the engine is a famous 1N....the turbo version is 1N-T....

Also converting to manual transmission is not an option.....because, I think if going into Tiptronic is not that effective, it'll have the same effect at the end......isn't it....? Also my uncle is using a Manual Mazda Portege...he says that the maintaining costs are high.

I think have to research on the Turbo Charging matter.....thank you everyone for your valuable replies....

You still haven't confirmed whether your gear box is well maintained. (e.g. changed ATF oil?). A worn out gear box may be the culprit, even though it is shifting ok. Suggest you get the gear box checked as well.

If you need performance (at least slightly )

Sell that pice of cr*p and buy a march or simillar car that's what i did 7 yrs ago when my starlet could't come back home as it couldn't climb the mere 10degree slope to my house

I'm talking about the 1.5 non turbo one here

• Like 1

If you need performance (at least slightly )

Sell that pice of cr*p and buy a march or simillar car that's what i did 7 yrs ago when my starlet could't come back home as it couldn't climb the mere 10degree slope to my house

I'm talking about the 1.5 non turbo one here

just cause your starlet couldn't climb a slight slope doesn't mean all starlets wont, you compare any starlet to a nissan march and the starlet is the better vehicle, your vehicle may have had some issues with it due to poor maintainance, what a ridiculous assumption to make! seriously, just because you don't like toyota's doesn't mean they're all bad,

Yes, in Sri Lanka toyota's are highly over-rated, but there's a reason they were the number 1 manufacturer in the world and are still number 2, not because all there vehicles "suck" as you say, you compare a 1300 march to a 1300 starlet and the starlet is simply better, (I'm talking about the old march btw)

if you had a Ferrari and it couldn't climb your slope due to a problem, does that mean all Ferrari's suck and you should buy a Porsche? seriously mate, thats just far fetched!

• Like 1

No it's not a turbo charged car.....

but there is a turbo version availble in this model....the engine is a famous 1N....the turbo version is 1N-T....

Also converting to manual transmission is not an option.....because, I think if going into Tiptronic is not that effective, it'll have the same effect at the end......isn't it....? Also my uncle is using a Manual Mazda Portege...he says that the maintaining costs are high.

I think have to research on the Turbo Charging matter.....thank you everyone for your valuable replies....

Machang I think your problem could be a messed up gear box, your gear box is 14 years old now, and judging by your question, you like a car with a little bit of Go in it, so like another member suggested above, give your gearbox a bit of a service, dont use the ATF machine take it to your garage and ask them to, manually service it, by taking out all the oil, and washing the mesh etc with kero etc, re fill her and then take her through the gears, check if she responds when you switch the OD off on the go ( do you feel a sudden down shift) coz if im not mistaken your model doesnt have CVT or anything like that.

also double check your engine work, check the recomended Nozzle preasure for your model, since some people make mistakes, I speak out of experience, nozzle are supposed to spray and not piss diesel in.

If its your gearbox swap it for a manual or a reco auto box, trip tronic not available I believe for the 97 starlet.

also think twice abt turbo charging her, like I said 14 years old bro, your only gonna kill that engine faster with a turbo.

also word of advice, DO NOT dump additives into your engine, they only cause bigger problems further down the line.

like someone suggested above go for the K&N airfilter, rip out the cat (if you have one) on your exhaust sytem,

all that said she is a Diesel So dont expect petrol performance especially after 14 yrs.