• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Under Bonnet Heat Shield

CK2

Question

20 answers to this question

I think you can make one using heat deflector foil. All uplolstry places have it. But in the Sri Lankan context why would you want to do it in a passenger car ? I think it's better to let the car run cooler than try to contain the heat in the engine bay with ambient temperatures around 30C

But in the Sri Lankan context why would you want to do it in a passenger car ? I think it's better to let the car run cooler than try to contain the heat in the engine bay with ambient temperatures around 30C

Interesting point; never thought about it from that angle. What purpose does it serve in a cold country? Help the engine to come to ideal operating temperature quicker?

BTW doesn't it also have a noise muffling role?

I think you can make one using heat deflector foil. All uplolstry places have it. But in the Sri Lankan context why would you want to do it in a passenger car ? I think it's better to let the car run cooler than try to contain the heat in the engine bay with ambient temperatures around 30C

True don, it'll help to contain the heat inside the engine bay but having heat shield will also help to reduce the temperature of the hood (bonnet lid) and prevent from spoiling the paint from excessive heat plus it'll act as a noise reduction material as well.

In cold country it will help the engine retain it's temperature (get to optimal operating temperature quickly and retain it while stopped for short amounts of time), though to be honest not all cars have these heat shields. I think Harshana is right, on most occasions it's a sound shield rather than a heat shield.

I said passenger car because I can understand it's function if you are in a van or lorry and have to sit on top of the engine !

Personally, my advice is if your car didn't come with one, don't bother installing it. It will probably cause more problems than good !

True don, it'll help to contain the heat inside the engine bay but having heat shield will also help to reduce the temperature of the hood (bonnet lid) and prevent from spoiling the paint from excessive heat plus it'll act as a noise reduction material as well.

this is the exact problem i have..., recently i had to paint entire bonnet bcos of this issue, thats y i thought to fix a bonnet heat shield?

this is the exact problem i have..., recently i had to paint entire bonnet bcos of this issue, thats y i thought to fix a bonnet heat shield?

study the bonnet frame from the engine side for possible clipping points where plastic knobs used to hold upholstery panel can be inserted. Measure the size require for this by judging from the shape and size of the frame. Get a heat shield material (foil) and set of those knobs, clips i've mentioned. It's a diy job of less than half an hour for you i guess.

study the bonnet frame from the engine side for possible clipping points where plastic knobs used to hold upholstery panel can be inserted. Measure the size require for this by judging from the shape and size of the frame. Get a heat shield material (foil) and set of those knobs, clips i've mentioned. It's a diy job of less than half an hour for you i guess.

agreed.

I used mcfoil and attached it to the bonnet using plastic clips. never had to drill the bonnet. These clips were very nice and gave a good finish. did it by my self. This foil reduces the heat of the bonnet more than 50 %. I did this for my previous FB13 which already run by gas. ( Generally got heated than when driven by petrol). :)

agreed.

I used mcfoil and attached it to the bonnet using plastic clips. never had to drill the bonnet. These clips were very nice and gave a good finish. did it by my self. This foil reduces the heat of the bonnet more than 50 %. I did this for my previous FB13 which already run by gas. ( Generally got heated than when driven by petrol). :)

my dad also told me to use mcfoil, but thought fixing a original shield would be nice..anyway now i'm going to mcfoil option..bcos its seems low cost and easy....,

thanks all to advices..

Interesting about the use of McFoil. My trusty van's heat shielding is in a bad way and I can feel the heat radiating through the center console. How is the stuff sold i.e. by the foot or meter?

CK2, do you have any reason to suspect that your engine is running hotter than usual ? I mean if your car didn't originally require a heat shield, why does it require one now ?

i'm the 2nd owner of this vehicle, so do not know there was a shield or not.., after painting the bonnet, paint guy told me to its better to install a shield, thats y thought to buy a heat shield or fix a mcfoil to bonnet..,

i'm the 2nd owner of this vehicle, so do not know there was a shield or not.., after painting the bonnet, paint guy told me to its better to install a shield, thats y thought to buy a heat shield or fix a mcfoil to bonnet..,

Have you had problems without a shield ? Or is this a preventative step ?

I don't think I've noticed a heat shield on CK2's, so McFoil is your option.

My suggestion is if you don't have a problem currently don't bother because sometimes these type of modifications have unexpected side effects.

I'll tell you another place McFoil is really useful, install some between your roof upholstery and the roof, and it will really help with the air conditioning efficiency.

Have you had problems without a shield ? Or is this a preventative step ?

I don't think I've noticed a heat shield on CK2's, so McFoil is your option.

My suggestion is if you don't have a problem currently don't bother because sometimes these type of modifications have unexpected side effects.

I'll tell you another place McFoil is really useful, install some between your roof upholstery and the roof, and it will really help with the air conditioning efficiency.

this is a preventative step.. once i saw a CK2 with a shield, but dnt know its original or custom work.., :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

this is a preventative step.. once i saw a CK2 with a shield, but dnt know its original or custom work.., :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Dude, thanks to a radiator blockage my car boiled twice last year (all sorted out now), but even the steam did not leave any lasting marks on the engine. You have nothing to worry about ! As long as your car was not painted with normal house hold paint it will be ok :)

Most cars I've seen with bonnet shields are diesel and I think it's more for the noise than the heat.

Dude, thanks to a radiator blockage my car boiled twice last year (all sorted out now), but even the steam did not leave any lasting marks on the engine. You have nothing to worry about ! As long as your car was not painted with normal house hold paint it will be ok :)

Most cars I've seen with bonnet shields are diesel and I think it's more for the noise than the heat.

thanks DON..really appreciate your opinions..

thanks DON..really appreciate your opinions..

I meant the paint work before when I was talking about steam damage :P

Keep your car original, service it regularly and use good quality parts and it will give you many years of pleasure. Modification really should be attempted only if there is a really good practical reason for it. Else you sometimes end up getting unexpected side effects. I always think if the car needs it the engineers would have already put it in, and this is very true most of the time.