• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Road To N'eliya

MiraOwner

Hi Guys,

Anyone been to Nuwera Eliya during the holiday season, i just wanted to know what the road conditions are now.

its been 2 years since i went there. and planning on a trip in june first week. i wanted to know the following.

1. from Peradeniya to Nuwera eliya town. has there been any major landslides and are there any nasty detours that we need to take

2. Access to Haggala from Badulla Road is it again having any aforementioned issues.

3. How is the condition of the road towards Worlds End?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Went last month.Twice!Peradeniya to N'eiya road is superb,There were a coupla landslides since then I heard,but they should be cleared by now.

Avissawella-Hatton-N'eliya is also very good but only up to Hatton,then on the road is very narrow and rugged....Beware if you are going in a low groung clearence car because the Kotagala town has a couple of nasty dips and bumps.

The Worlds end road is the same as it has always been.Typical B road but accessible by a normal car all the way to the Far inn.

Haggala Baddulla No idea.

If you want a good road, go thru Kandy. The only major pain was a detour around Kegalle last time, and that was only when we were coming down, so it might have been temporary (Going up to Kandy that morning, no detour). Tho that was a pretty nasty road. But the Proton was ok, and its pretty low.

kandy to neliya is fine like the others say. the condition of the road towards world's end was horrible the last time i went there a year ago. massive potholes everywhere. best if you have an SUV cos it can get very uncomfortable.

Just was there about 10 days back. The Hatton approach is pretty poor after you reach Radella onwards. Unless you're going in an SUV or van I don't recommend it, as recent landslides have really damaged the road and construction is going on leading to some backups. Same with the Badulla road.

Kandy road past Peradeniya is more or less fine. I don't forsee you having any problems.

The weather isn't that great now as monsoon season is upon us, so it can start raining out of nowhere and this may affect the roads.

By World's end if you mean Horton Plains, well the road has been patched up now and is OK for hardy vehicles. I think the reemerging of the rains may have stopped work for a bit. You can reach the Horton Plains office on 052-2539042 closer to your trip to find out.

Edited by SeanD

Just was there about 10 days back. The Hatton approach is pretty poor after you reach Radella onwards. Unless you're going in an SUV or van I don't recommend it, as recent landslides have really damaged the road and construction is going on leading to some backups. Same with the Badulla road.

Kandy road past Peradeniya is more or less fine. I don't forsee you having any problems.

The weather isn't that great now as monsoon season is upon us, so it can start raining out of nowhere and this may affect the roads.

By World's end if you mean Horton Plains, well the road has been patched up now and is OK for hardy vehicles. I think the reemerging of the rains may have stopped work for a bit. You can reach the Horton Plains office on 052-2539042 closer to your trip to find out.

1+...going via kandy road is the best. I too was there last month and the hatton side was pretty crap.

Even on a double cab... Kandy road is a far better drive and though the distance is more, you get there faster.

Saw a maruti 800 with 4 heavy set people at horton plains so i suppose that road too is fine for cars.

Kandy to Nu'eliya, it's fine. Haggala road (Badulla road?) is being rebuilt at the moment, i came thru that road last weekend, not the road for a low ride height car. But i guess you can go upto Haggala garden without much hassle

• 2 weeks later...

peradeniya/ kandy roads are very good and even no suspension forces for the vehicle. even you can travel through awissawella / ginigathhena / hatton road- and the road is good.

nuwaraeliya to badulla or welimada road is too bad bcz of the road construction is going there, you never go there by a car prefer use a SUV. even the Raja mawataha road to badulla via Vicoria/randenigala reservoir road is damaged but you will able drive safely there.

from ohia and from nuwaraeliya to Horton Plains road is acceptably in good condition you can manage to drive by a car.

Hi Guys,

Anyone been to Nuwera Eliya during the holiday season, i just wanted to know what the road conditions are now.

its been 2 years since i went there. and planning on a trip in june first week. i wanted to know the following.

1. from Peradeniya to Nuwera eliya town. has there been any major landslides and are there any nasty detours that we need to take

2. Access to Haggala from Badulla Road is it again having any aforementioned issues.

3. How is the condition of the road towards Worlds End?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Machang,

Iv been to N'eliya quite a few times last year but the best road I found is this cut, you gotta go on the Awissawella Ginigathhena road, then turn off onto the ginigathhena Nawalapitiya road, head on to Gampala and then upto n'eliya on the usual cut, passing pussellawa and ramboda etc etc.

very very GOOD road, very nice scenery, and peacefull been on that road almost 4 times Never ever encountered any traffic, provided you skip awissawella early.

its a bit longer miles wise, but the peacefull and scenic drive make up for it.

enjoy your trip bro

• 7 years later...

Hi Guys,

Waking up an old thread...

What would be a good road to drive to Nuwara Eliya from Colombo these days (tomorrow morning)?

1. via Gampola, Pussellawa

2. Via Avissawella - Hatton

3. Via Avissawella - Nawalapitiya (is there a way to avoid going all the way to Gampola in this route?

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Crosswind said:

Hi Guys,

What would be a good road to drive to Nuwara Eliya from Colombo these days (tomorrow morning)?

3. Via Avissawella - Nawalapitiya (is there a way to avoid going all the way to Gampola in this route?

Thanks in advance

I always choose the road via Avissawella, Ginigathhena, Hatton

The road is a bit bumpy from Kithulgala to Watawala, but from there onwards smooth ride till Nuwara Eliya

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

You need to define what you mean by "good"... for me i define good as "Nice view with sexy roads".. so for others it might be less traffic bla bla... so be precise ? 

1. Priority 1: Less traffic (considering the holiday season)

2. Priority 2: Smooth roads

3. Priority 3: Less travel time

How on earth can a road be sexy? Do you try to do weird things on roads?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Crosswind said:

1. Priority 1: Less traffic (considering the holiday season)

2. Priority 2: Smooth roads

3. Priority 3: Less travel time

How on earth can a road be sexy? Do you try to do weird things on roads?

If less traffic is your number 1 priority you should avoid Gampola at all cost these days.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

If less traffic is your number 1 priority you should avoid Gampola at all cost these days.

Yes, avoid Colombo-Peradeniya-Gampola-N'eliya road, the traffic at Gelioya usually 30 min to 1hr these days

you can avoid Gelioya and go to Gampola via Galaha road (the road via Peradeniya university but again the road from Colombo to Peradeniya filled with traffic

What's the condition of Hatton - Nuwara Eliya road now? Anybody whos been there recently?

Also if I'm not mistaken, Kadugannawa - Welamboda - Watadeniya - Gampola road was undergoing expansion recently, so that should give an alternative for anyone who wishes to avoid Gelioya. Anybody been thru that road recently?

Edited by Crosswind

7 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance

1) the newly renovated and widened road to gampola from mavanella via hemmathagama is very convenient, if you push hard you can reach gampola from mavanella town within 30 mins. It saves close to 1:30 to 2:00 hour journey time when compared to the jam packed peradeniya route where traffic is snail paced from pilamatalawa onwards. Should not forget the rugged kadugannawa incline as well where struck behind a big lorry or a bus could mean a burden specially while playing cat and mouse with the cops on that sector.

2)Avissawella-ginigaththena-hatton-talawakele-Radella-nanu oya-nuwara Eliya is the drivers paradise, you could basically enjoy driving and unleash your cars for a run for the money in the twisty hill climb, why I like this road soo much is that it does not have single or double lines much so the cops have there work cut out and also the road is visible for a far distance so you could watch out for traffic before hand. Only drawback is that the road condition from karawanella to ginigaththena isn't the smoothest and requires some repairs but omg thinking of this road makes me overjoyed about driving.

3)yes there is route nawalapitiya-hapugastalawa (bad section)- kumbalalowa-thawalanthenna-ramboda-nuwaraeliya. A route to take if you are the kind of person who wants to escape into a calm environment where normal paved road isn't a bother and you want to enjoy a picturesque passing by scenery, specially with the kotmale reservoir in the vicinity where all the buzz and cops are non existent then this isn't a bad road, for a change I would actually recommend this.

Specially given the season careful planning is crucial because where there is traffic there will be cops as well .

Edited by top tip
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

Also if I'm not mistaken, Kadugannawa - Welamboda - Watadeniya - Gampola road was undergoing expansion recently, so that should give an alternative for anyone who wishes to avoid Gelioya. Anybody been thru that road recently?

If you need to avoid gelioya,pilimathalawa and peradeniya traffic and reach gampola there’s an alternative route from mawanella via hemmatagama road. Last time I went it was still under construction and about 80% completed. I Was able to reach Gampola in under 40 min. Solid road with almost zero traffic. I guess the construction has been finished now. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

If you need to avoid gelioya,pilimathalawa and peradeniya traffic and reach gampola there’s an alternative route from mawanella via hemmatagama road. Last time I went it was still under construction and about 80% completed. I Was able to reach Gampola in under 40 min. Solid road with almost zero traffic. I guess the construction has been finished now. 

Construction is finished. Just took the route last week. But if you're afraid of heights and if your clutch balance (if you're driving manual) is shit, this route can be quite hair raising. It took me about 40 minutes from Mawanella to Gampola. Look out for vehicles coming down on the hairpins. Due to the steep incline and steep banks in the hairpins, even small vehicles can't keep to the lane. 

• Like 1