• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Land Rover Defender 110

knightowl

I have applied for couple of jobs in Sri Lanka. If I get one I will be moving back to Sri Lanka soon. Having a good vehicle in Sri Lanka is a must unlike here in England where I mostly used my Bicycles, [proud owner of three bikes]. My choice is Land Rover defender 110. For few reasons.

1. I like it.

2. Protect me from other crazy drivers.

3. Do a little bit of off roading, Camping tec.

So few questions from the experts.

1. What is the likely price of a good second hand one?

2. Are there enough parts and expertize for repairs?

3. Last but not least, how do I know it is not a stolen one, wledere together or assembled illegaly. I dont want to end up in a police cell.

Thank you for your replies.

• 1 month later...

Good advice from EAP.

But this topic is bit old I guess. Do you really think importing with no or tax benefits for UK for a UK citizen is possible.Please share info here for all forum users benefit. For how long and what conditions etc..

MINIACE

Good advice from EAP.

But this topic is bit old I guess. Do you really think importing with no or tax benefits for UK for a UK citizen is possible.Please share info here for all forum users benefit. For how long and what conditions etc..

MINIACE

some time back I was trying to find this info for a friend but couldn't figure it out, but seems there are now some docs here.

basically two scenarios;

1. if you have sent money to Sri Lanka more than 2x CIF, you can send your existing vehicle (have to own it for a year if car < 5 years; or 3 years if car 5-10 years old). (Foreign Exchange Earned Abroad Scheme)

2. if you haven't sent that much money, you can still send a car, and then it doesn't matter if you have owned it before. (Gift Scheme)

there is a license fee which is different (but not much) between the 2 schemes;

there are conditions on the vehicle (right hand drive, etc.) on both, but the gift scheme has additional restriction on engine cc.

the docs in the link say to contact Customs to find out the applicable duties; but anyway apart from whatever concessionary duties this may offer, there's also the benefit that you can get a vehicle upto 10 years old.

BTW this is a import, not a temporary thing like what EAP was saying.

I have applied for couple of jobs in Sri Lanka. If I get one I will be moving back to Sri Lanka soon. Having a good vehicle in Sri Lanka is a must unlike here in England where I mostly used my Bicycles, [proud owner of three bikes]. My choice is Land Rover defender 110. For few reasons.

1. I like it.

2. Protect me from other crazy drivers.

3. Do a little bit of off roading, Camping tec.

So few questions from the experts.

1. What is the likely price of a good second hand one?

2. Are there enough parts and expertize for repairs?

3. Last but not least, how do I know it is not a stolen one, wledere together or assembled illegaly. I dont want to end up in a police cell.

Thank you for your replies.

Price would depend on the engine I would think.

I reckon the current rates are about

12J 110 - 2.0 to 2.5 Million

19J 110 - Similar to above

200Tdi/300Tdi - 2.5 to 4.0 Million

TD5 - 4.0 to 5.0 Million

Puma - More than the above !!!

There is quite a bit of variation in the prices due to condition/history/accessories etc.

As mentioned earlier Parts availability and Expertise are not a concern.

Best of luck

Go Beyond or One Life Live It ..... your choice

Price would depend on the engine I would think.

I reckon the current rates are about

12J 110 - 2.0 to 2.5 Million

19J 110 - Similar to above

200Tdi/300Tdi - 2.5 to 4.0 Million

TD5 - 4.0 to 5.0 Million

Puma - More than the above !!!

There is quite a bit of variation in the prices due to condition/history/accessories etc.

As mentioned earlier Parts availability and Expertise are not a concern.

Best of luck

Go Beyond or One Life Live It ..... your choice

Mate you cant find 12Js for 2mil or 200/300TDi CSWs for 2.5Mil these days.You got to be realistic.Any 110 starts around 2.8 and authentic ones are always above 3.5mil.

MINIACE

Mate you cant find 12Js for 2mil or 200/300TDi CSWs for 2.5Mil these days.You got to be realistic.Any 110 starts around 2.8 and authentic ones are always above 3.5mil.

MINIACE

I agree, the unmolested and good condition vehicles always command a premium.

My 12J price range was based on the fact that a friends 12J ("turboed") Soft Top could not fetch the expected minimum of 2.2 about a year back.

MINIACE

Quite true mate, unless its a hacked ol' rust bucket with a "real" number or decent one with an illegal registration..

I agree, the unmolested and good condition vehicles always command a premium.

My 12J price range was based on the fact that a friends 12J ("turboed") Soft Top could not fetch the expected minimum of 2.2 about a year back.

Soft tops got a different and a reduced market price.Yet a 110 soft top goes above 2.5mil.A 2008 soft top 110 goes above 5mil.

Even the 90s are starting 2mil these days.A Td5 90 was sold at 2.7mil last week.

MINIACE

Thanks guys, I have posted the question longtime ago when I first encountered AutoLanka accidently. Anyways after going through all the posts about Defenders in the forum I decided to move on. The reasons are that I need a reliable and comfortable vehicle in Sri Lanka until I settle down well. So I have decided something like a Nissan Cefiro.

Once I am settled then my wish list is , a VW beetle and then a Defender 110.

My whole family is not moving due to education problems for the little ones, so that i'll be shuttling back and forth a lot. So I'll keep the option of importing one from UK open. Defenders are bloody expensive here, almost exclusively used by farmers. So you hardly see them on the roads.

Thanks again for the reply.

Good advice from EAP.

MINIACE

Miniace, I think EAP is referring to the Carnet scheme, a scheme that allows members of countries signed up to the scheme to bring down the vehicles they own and use it for a certain period of time while they are in the country. The condition is you either have to take the vehicle with you when you leave or pay full tax and register it. Have a look at this post.

The schemes Sifaan talks about is meant to provide some concessions and is not tax free. In fact you pay full tax and a permit fee but you make some gains by having the option to import and older vehicle. But at the certain times, I'm reliably told buying the same vehicle second hand in SL is cheaper.

Miniace, I think EAP is referring to the Carnet scheme, a scheme that allows members of countries signed up to the scheme to bring down the vehicles they own and use it for a certain period of time while they are in the country. The condition is you either have to take the vehicle with you when you leave or pay full tax and register it. Have a look at this post.

http://www.autolanka...__1#entry144471

The schemes Sifaan talks about is meant to provide some concessions and is not tax free. In fact you pay full tax and a permit fee but you make some gains by having the option to import and older vehicle. But at the certain times, I'm reliably told buying the same vehicle second hand in SL is cheaper.

Good info.Thanks Mate!

MINIACE

• 1 month later...

my apologies for reply to a old thread one of my relative is looking for a 90's(1990-2000) 110 Defender any idea on the market price of them? those ones without those extra off road parts fixed

Edited by Magnum

Runs between 1.8 to 5.0 mil AFAIK, a puma who cost close to 5mil, but there were battered up old 110s for 1.5 also..

Depends on the spec, YOM, engine, reg no., options, body trim etc

Runs between 1.8 to 5.0 mil AFAIK, a puma who cost close to 5mil, but there were battered up old 110s for 1.5 also..

Depends on the spec, YOM, engine, reg no., options, body trim etc

YOM: something like 1995

Engine: TDi would be fine

options: original defender without any those offroad items fixed something like this would be fine

LR_defender_144_1024x768.jpg

what do you mean body trim?

Edited by Magnum

YOM: something like 1995

Engine: TDi would be fine

options: original defender without any those offroad items fixed something like this would be fine

LR_defender_144_1024x768.jpg

what do you mean body trim?

Yea something like that could go from 2.5 mil to even 4.0mil

that also if ranged from a 200Tdi to a 300tdi (1995s are likely to be 300tdi)

I was referring to the soft top, hard top, county station wagon, XS, Ex-military trims..

Most chances are vehicles from these years have been upgraded with newer parts, depends on what you find..

Hi guys

I'm also planning to go for a 110 (most preferably) or 90.

Hope this link will help you to identify your'll vehical YOM & Type by

http://www.lrfaq.org/FAQ.2.main.html

I'd Suggest a 110, more space, utility, and resale value..

Yea something like that could go from 2.5 mil to even 4.0mil

that also if ranged from a 200Tdi to a 300tdi (1995s are likely to be 300tdi)

I was referring to the soft top, hard top, county station wagon, XS, Ex-military trims..

Most chances are vehicles from these years have been upgraded with newer parts, depends on what you find..

does the TD5 engine come in 2007 and later models ony?

Edited by Magnum

does the TD5 engine come in 2007 and later models ony?

Td5s started rolling off in 1998, Pumas came out in 2007

is there a big difference between 300Tdi ones and TD5s?

Long story, you gotta do some homework

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_engines

Edited by tiv

Long story, you gotta do some homework

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_engines

i read it!(before you posted the link) and thanks a lot for your help

bdw where does the 64- and 65- ones fall in the price range of 2.5 to 4.0 Million (300Tdi)

Edited by Magnum