• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Will Hybrids Fail Or Succeed In Sri Lanka?

150 members have voted

1. 1. Will Hybrids Fail Or Succeed In Sri Lanka?

• FAIL - Hybrids will NOT become accepted and 'mainstream' and will 'FAIL' in Sri Lanka
    • SUCCEED - Hybrids will become accepted and 'mainstream' and will 'SUCCEED' in Sri Lanka

could you please explain more about this "electricity used for petrol production can be transferred directly to power electric cars which is much more efficient use of that electricity."

They basically said that to ship, refine, transport and distribute petrol and diesel uses up huge amounts of electricity. It is a far more efficient use of that electricity if you don't use it to produce petrol or diesel, but simply send it to peoples homes where they can plug their electric car directly in.

I suppose it could be kind of like the difference between having a farmer directly bring their fruits and vegetables to you, and going to the supermarket where the fruits and vegetables have been all over the place and through many middle men. The price is much higher than getting it directly from the farmer and you end up paying a lot more for the same thing.

Just a few examples of your BS: 'Sri Lankans who pay 38-100% tax are cheapskates' , 'Hybrid drivers will get electrocuted if they drive in floods' and just in the last page 'Hybrid exhausts are always emitting exhaust fumes'.

Seriously, just let go of your pride, and live and let live.

:lol: The things the voices in your heads say are amusing, but in the end, what you think you heard me say is still BS from your own head. So just go away Cali.

in different words "sri lanka will buy electricity from overseas" :)

Thats correct..... Sri Lanka does buy its electricity from overseas. Approximately 30% or more power to the national grid is supplied via thermal power, where the oil is imported, so in a way we are importing electricity as well.

Oh for the love of all that is holy WHY is this asinine thread still running?? Why don't we all just let this idiot post his BS on it and just IGNORE him completely? By now it should be pretty obvious that he is a pathetic attention whore who is so starved for human communication that he comes to an online forum just to get his ass kicked.... So naturally it follows that if we don't give him any attention he just MIGHt go away.

So perhaps we can try this, eh gents?

Oh for the love of all that is holy WHY is this asinine thread still running?? Why don't we all just let this idiot post his BS on it and just IGNORE him completely? By now it should be pretty obvious that he is a pathetic attention whore who is so starved for human communication that he comes to an online forum just to get his ass kicked.... So naturally it follows that if we don't give him any attention he just MIGHt go away.

So perhaps we can try this, eh gents?

For the love of all that is holy WHY don't you follow your own advice and bugger off this thread.

For the love of all that is holy WHY don't you follow your own advice and bugger off this thread.

Sigh... there you go again. Absolutely desperate for people to notice you eh? You need psychiatric help dude.

Perhaps you've been spending too much time with your nose in your Prius' tailpipe?

Before anyone points it out, yes I failed to heed my own advice.....

I shall now start doing so.

Edited by Supra_Natural

Well guys last Friday on Baseline Road I have seen a girl Driving a 1st Gen Prius.. So as i know 1st Gen Prius came to sri lanka way before this Tax cut So I wonder how come Hybrids going to fail in SriLanka as if they manage to keep & run those 1st Gen prius (specially those day without support from Toyota Lanka or no other companies like HybridLanka etc to rapair the places and now we do have..) in SriLanka..

Well guys last Friday on Baseline Road I have seen a girl Driving a 1st Gen Prius.. So as i know 1st Gen Prius came to sri lanka way before this Tax cut So I wonder how come Hybrids going to fail in SriLanka as if they manage to keep & run those 1st Gen prius (specially those day without support from Toyota Lanka or no other companies like HybridLanka etc to rapair the places and now we do have..) in SriLanka..

Lot of 1st Gen prius which are running about does not have the hybrid system anymore. Most of them have converted to 121 Engine and gearbox with the wiring harness. I have witnessed many conversions a guy (a teenager actually when I witnessed this) in Piliyandala area had done it successfully.

• Like 1

Lot of 1st Gen prius which are running about does not have the hybrid system anymore. Most of them have converted to 121 Engine and gearbox with the wiring harness. I have witnessed many conversions a guy (a teenager actually when I witnessed this) in Piliyandala area had done it successfully.

that should be a pretty straight forward conversion cos the engine mounts are the same. I guess there will be a big demand for 121 engines and 1800cc allion engines in the future. argh! why am I getting de ja vu's of the nsu ro80 now?

that should be a pretty straight forward conversion cos the engine mounts are the same. I guess there will be a big demand for 121 engines and 1800cc allion engines in the future. argh! why am I getting de ja vu's of the nsu ro80 now?

mounting is straight forward, but the electrics was the challenge according to him. Imagine the feeling of seeing a prius with an ignition barrel :D i got that shock of my life :P

mounting is straight forward, but the electrics was the challenge according to him. Imagine the feeling of seeing a prius with an ignition barrel :D i got that shock of my life :P

just a thought...since prius was designed to have least aerodynamic resistance, light body and what not...it must be packing a lot of punch if you drop a big motor in there. But handling dept will need huge improvements...

hope they disposed em hazardous battery packs accordingly. Or they might still be in the car?

Edited by Reckless

I wonder what removing the battery packs will do to the balance of the car or the performance of the rear suspension. I don't think you can take a significant amount of weight off from one side of the car and expect the car to perform the same.

I am expecting Hybrids to become more common though but the newer Hybrids will be a lot more advanced than the current ones, which are essentially petrol cars with electric assist. The new plug in Hybrid Prius kind of signals where things will go and expect the engines to become smaller as well.

The current Hybrid owners might see their cars become antiques relatively quickly.

just a thought...since prius was designed to have least aerodynamic resistance, light body and what not...it must be packing a lot of punch if you drop a big motor in there. But handling dept will need huge improvements...

Wonder how handling of this 'converted' hybrid would be. Never had any opportunity to drive one as they were WIP specimens when I witnessed.

hope they disposed em hazardous battery packs accordingly. Or they might still be in the car?

nope, the entire boot compartment was ripped off and battery pack was removed. Remember, we're living in a country where they believe a car should be lighter as much as possible and should squeeze maximum kms per litre of fuel, that's it. Handling, saftety, driving pleasure, .. what nonsense. :D

disposed battery packs accordingly? hell yeah, that must be with the fellows paying you for the kilo's of lead in a battery AKA 'botal pattara karaya' :D

Listen man, obviously the Tesla and Leaf aren't hybrids. Don't you think I know that? Electric cars have been discussed in this thread many many times because they are next step from hybrids. And a quarter of the film was about the plug-in hybrid Volt. See, this :rolleyes: is yet another example of you writing a post that is petty and you absolutely didn't need to write and only ends up making you look petty. You're trying so hard to discredit me that you're only discrediting yourself. Instead of being petty, just be happy that I found the complete film and have posted it for the enjoyment and benefit of people.

You have gone after my opinion so many times and fallen on your face because I can back up what I say with facts. Just look at the last few pages of this thread. This world is not black or white, right or wrong, this or that. Things are in shades of grey. Just because YOU don't agree with an opinion doesn't make it BS. The greatest minds have widely differing opinions on much of this stuff and that's what makes it stimulating. If you watched the film you would have seen how everyone has a different view of how things will unfold, and that's only normal.

What do you mean the next step is the electric? Electric cars have been around since before the advent of the infernal combustion engine.

Yup, it'll be the fastest car you don't wanna look at. :P

There are also solar chargers http://nissanleafsolarcharger.com/ which are perfect for SL. Solar chargers are seeing big drops in price every year.

Solar panels installed on the roof of the house charge the Leaf and Volt. The owner will make up the cost of the solar charger through not having to pay for the electricity to charge the cars, and then after the charger is paid off the owner drives their electric cars for 'free' cause they are being powered by the sun.

2011-nissan-leaf-and-2011-chevy-volt-with-roof-solar-panels-visible-photo-by-george-parrott_100343302_m.jpg

I don't see any solar panels in that photo, and those are venetian blinds behind those windows, in case you thought they were the solar panels :P

I don't see any solar panels in that photo, and those are venetian blinds behind those windows, in case you thought they were the solar panels :P

The sheets above the satellite dish looks like solar panels ... ?

2011-nissan-leaf-and-2011-chevy-volt-with-roof-solar-panels-visible-photo-by-george-parrott_100343302_m.jpg

The solar panels on this house are where they almost always are in home installations - on the roof. On the left side roof in this case.

Notice too that the wires going into the Leaf and the Volt indicate that they are 'plugged in' and being charged by the solar charger.

Edited by Californikan