• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Will Hybrids Fail Or Succeed In Sri Lanka?

150 members have voted

1. 1. Will Hybrids Fail Or Succeed In Sri Lanka?

• FAIL - Hybrids will NOT become accepted and 'mainstream' and will 'FAIL' in Sri Lanka
    • SUCCEED - Hybrids will become accepted and 'mainstream' and will 'SUCCEED' in Sri Lanka

Just for comparison (source: Motor Trend)

1995 RX7 Twin Turbo -- 100kmph-0 braking: 131ft

1995 300ZX Twin Turbo -- 100kmph-0 braking: 128ft

2010 Toyota Prius (no brake update) -- 100kmph-0 braking: 127ft

1997 Supra Twin Turbo -- 100kmph-0 braking: 116ft

Edited by Californikan

this proves once again than older cars with even pre OBD II computers have less breaking distance than the god of all technology prius... i know u were trying to prove some other point... but for someone like me who doesn't give a rats ass about the recall or what an SL priass owner is going through.. this stat just feels so gooooood.

• Like 1

this proves once again than older cars with even pre OBD II computers have less breaking distance than the god of all technology prius... i know u were trying to prove some other point... but for someone like me who doesn't give a rats ass about the recall or what an SL priass owner is going through.. this stat just feels so gooooood.

Glad to make you feel good.

The Priass can actually brake from 100kmph to a dead stop in a shorter distance than the RX7 and 300ZX Turbo.

Here's couple more from 100kmph to a dead stop.

1987 Porsche 959: 117ft

1987 Ferrari F40: 122ft

2010 Toyota Prius: 127ft

1987 Lamborghini Countach: 131ft.

Yup, the Prius out brakes the Lambo. sport-smiley-003.gif

Edited by Californikan

The Priass can actually brake from 100kmph to a dead stop in a shorter distance than the RX7 and 300ZX Turbo.

Yup, the Prius out brakes the Lambo. :sport-smiley-003:

oh god u are digging ur own grave with this one again arnt u..

yeah the priass out brakes a prehistoric antique lambo by a couple of feet... and the rx7 and the 300zx... can u even compare.. they are speed machines with gigantic torque and acceleration.. and it out breaks the 1995 300ZX by a feet.. 1995 versus a 2010 star trek PRIASS... . applause... applause... NOT......

But wait. Why compare the Prius with such older cars? Let's compare it with a more contemporary gas guzzler shall we? Say, a BMW X6 M.

2010 Toyota Prius - 127ft

2008 BMW X6 M - 106ft

OMG! Did you just read that? A 2.5 ton SUV outbrakes the venerable Prius by 21 feet!!! Oh no!

Edited by Big_D
  • Like 3

Yup, the Prius out brakes the Lambo. sport-smiley-003.gif

hey Cali be more realistic dude if you want to compare prius braking distance compare it with prius main competitor honda insight or prius gas cousin toyota corolla axio at least compare braking distance of a corolla 121 or fb15 then it will be realistic.

4) Incorrect about the alloys. I never said the Prius doesn't have alloys. I said I did not notice the alloy looking wheel cover was a separate piece from the alloy wheel itself. And I did learn my lesson from that fiasco: no more posts about things I'm not certain about.

And what a shameless act this is, editing post after you realised that you got owned ? LAME !

BTW for the record i still dont think you have learned a lesson, its time to realise that this is not a forum where you can bullshit and get away with.

"I said I did not notice the alloy looking wheel cover was a separate piece from the alloy wheel itself"

Thats just sad, not knowing what it has is worse than thinking it had the wrong thing !

so are you saying you never checked the tyre pressure of your car ?

You never washed the wheels ?

Firstly, Madz, this forum update of yours is bloody annoying. Can't even reply to a topic as I want coz the code fails.

Sorry about the lateness of the reply, I've been trying to get to quote thing working since about 2am last night. Why I was up at 2am? I just got back after covering a party and the R*D B*LL was still working so I couldn't fall asleep. Anyhoo...

Cali, I keep hoping you'll realize you are too dumb to keep continuing this argument, but you keep persisting, so lets break it down,

1) You're giving (half assed) opinions about something you know little about and I presume have no actual experience with. My Prius did eventually get the update so I speak from experience about the braking before and after the update. Also, reading a Sunday Times article written by a journalist who knows nothing about cars and using that to argue with a Prius owner about the Prius is not a smart idea.

You presume wrong. And if you are so dumb you can't follow the line of an argument, I suggest you shut up and go hide in your hole.

What the reporter had said was "These cars with defective brakes are still running on Sri Lankan roads without repairs.". What I said was, a recall wouldn't have necessarily caught all the cars affected, since some people who would think the update isn't relevant to them (idiots like you who seem to think it will only affect them if they drive on snow and ice) wouldn't have updated it. People who couldn't be bothered driving all the way back to their dealer and thought it wouldn't affect them. Also, people who have sold the cars before the recall was put into place. Had the cars repossessed. etc.

And despite the fact that I have very little faith in the reporter, I'm willing to put more faith in that guy than some a-to-b driver-owner idiot who doesn't even know what is on his wheels. YOU pretending to know about the Prius just coz you own one, THAT is a bad idea. Clearly the extent of your knowledge is how to make it go front and back, and how to turn.

<2a) The issue was NOT "a serious loss of brakes" that you stated it was. Saying the Prius has "a serious loss of brakes" is going beyond exaggeration to telling an untruth. The issue was an "inconsistent brake feel" that some drivers might feel in a very specific and rare combination of conditions.

I didn't say a serious loss of brakes. This is exactly why no one should listen to a damn thing you say, you can't even read and understand a simple sentence properly! I have clearly said how serious the loss of brakes is, not a serious loss of brakes. And if you can't figure out the difference, leave Connecticut or California or wherever the hell you are and go live in the jungles of Mahiyangana.

2b is obviously irrelevant in this light.

3) Five SL hybrid drivers reporting inconsistent brake feel out of 5000+ hybrids on local roads is .001%.

Please find out how many drivers reported it in the US, and how many cars were on the roads there at that time.

4) Incorrect about the alloys. I never said the Prius doesn't have alloys. I said I did not notice the alloy looking wheel cover was a separate piece from the alloy wheel itself. And I did learn my lesson from that fiasco: no more posts about things I'm not certain about.

Correct about the alloys. Numerous witnesses to the same.

And despite that claim, here you are, still posting about incorrect things.

5a) The "90%" number was used only to illustrate the point (that there are many more vehicles with all kinds of much worse 'defects' on local roads than a few 3rd gen Prii with v1.0 ABS software), which is why I prefaced the idea with "probably".

I am aware of your hyperbole. Thats why I said it was useless.And multiple wrongs don't make a right. A problem with a Prius is a problem with a Prius. Other defects in other cars aren't relevant to that. They all need fixing, not sweeping under the rug like you seem to want to do.

6) How much are you being paid by Hybrid Motors to keep pushing this story so they get more business? Just teasing.

Again, too stupid to understand. I have already said this "recall" is a fleece job by Hybrid Motors. So sad.

Also, I dunno about this different brake feel, but I do know the guy who seemed to have the most trouble trying to get the car stopped at the Drag races was that guy in the Lexus hybrid with the Hybrid Motors sticker on the side. Guess he hasn't applied his brake software update. :rolleyes:</p>

Well done, Cali, so it can stop faster than a car built with technology that is 15 years older.But the real question is, what about on a rough or slippery surface?Also, didn't you say that the brake update is intended for the OLD Prius models, and the 2010 models have the thing already? And that all the cars have been recalled and updated? Or did they just put the old software back for this test?

Well I just spent the last two days running around in the southern and sabaragamuwa provinces in general, and I did not see a _single_ hybrid car out there. In fact, I made a remark about it to the padre on the drive back not one hour ago. So 1 out of 10 cars in Colombo maybe hybrids, but not anywhere beyond the outskirts. The same for the area around the city of gems as well.

But wait. Why compare the Prius with such older cars? Let's compare it with a more contemporary gas guzzler shall we? Say, a BMW X6 M.

2010 Toyota Prius - 127ft

2008 BMW X6 M - 106ft

OMG! Did you just read that? A 2.5 ton SUV outbrakes the venerable Prius by 21 feet!!! Oh no!

yo hoooo cali... OWNED...

• Like 3

Reply to- cali's Because Quote dosen't work :(

So the p-use is better worse than 23 yr old vehicles,

We can't compare such an idiot of this era hopefuly u can compare u'r self with cavemen

Please find out how many drivers reported it in the US, and how many cars were on the roads there at that time.

130,000 3rd gen Prii sold in Japan and the U.S. from May 2009 to Feb 2010. There were 200 reports about the inconsistent braking feel. That is .001%. And every one of these 200 reports said it only occurred in a very rarely and specific combination of events. 52,000 Prii were also sold in Europe in the same time period. No owner complaints or reports of inconsistent braking.

I'm tired of arguing about this. Hey, if you want to keep wetting your pants over this, go ahead.

6) How much are you being paid by Hybrid Motors to keep pushing this story so they get more business? Just teasing.

Again, too stupid to understand. I have already said this "recall" is a fleece job by Hybrid Motors. So sad.

And you are too stupid to understand that I was teasing you even after I wrote I am "just teasing" you.

At least we agree that this is a fleece job by Hybrid Motors.

130,000 3rd gen Prii sold in Japan and the U.S. from May 2009 to Feb 2010. There were 200 reports about the inconsistent braking feel.  That is .001%. And every one of these 200 reports said it only occurred in a very rarely and specific combination of events. 52,000 Prii were also sold in Europe in the same time period. No owner complaints or reports of inconsistent braking.

I'm tired of arguing about this. Hey, if you want to keep wetting your pants over this, go ahead.

You should be, coz you're wrong again. Arguing with the wrong info must indeed be tiring. If your numbers are correct, its 0.15%, and no matter how you bold it, you're incorrect. Even counting Europe, its 0.11%. +1 to that incorrect posts count :rolleyes: Did you fail at math or summin?

Looks quite natural. Some have been fixed, some obviously haven't. So the naturally, the SL percentage is lower.

But lets see if we can peek inside that echoing cranium. You claimed .001% of problems, and you're fine with a recall at the cost Toyota over $2 billion, but you dismiss it if the same percentage of local drivers report issues?

tch, tch, tch. Don't think much of "the natives", so you? Careful with that brown-nosing, you've got your nose so far in you're having trouble seeing anything else. And I ain't teasing or joking or anything like that.

Now why don't you run along and find an autoconnecticut or summin to post in? You're becoming more than a little tiresome.

From the Web.

Technology\ could increase lithium-ion batteries' charge

15 November 2011 | Updated: 15 November 2011 10:27 am

Northwestern University engineers claim that they have developed technology that could improve

rechargeable batteries.

The university said in a statement that the research team has created an electrode for lithium-ion

batteries that allows them to hold a charge up to 10 times greater than current technology.

Batteries with the electrode are also reported to be able to charge 10 times faster than current

batteries.

The researchers are reported to have achieved this by combining two chemical-engineering

approaches.

Even after 150 charges, which would be one year or more of operation, the battery is still five times

more effective than lithium-ion batteries on the market today,¶ explained Prof Harold Kung from the

McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science.

Lithium-ion batteries charge through a chemical reaction in which lithium ions are sent between two

ends of the battery, the anode and the cathode.

In current rechargeable batteries, the anode, which is made of multiple layers of carbon-based

graphene sheets, can only accommodate one lithium atom for every six carbon atoms. To increase

energy capacity, scientists have previously experimented with replacing the carbon with silicon, as

silicon can accommodate much more lithium — four lithium atoms for every silicon atom. However,

silicon expands and contracts dramatically in the charging process, causing fragmentation and losing

its charge capacity rapidly.

Currently, the speed of a battery¶s charge rate is hindered by the shape of the graphene sheets;

they are extremely thin but, by comparison, very long. During the charging process, a lithium ion

must travel all the way to the outer edges of the graphene sheet before entering and coming to rest

between the sheets. Because it takes so long for lithium to travel to the middle of the graphene

sheet, an ionic ¶traffic jam¶ occurs around the edges of the material.

Kung¶s research team has combined two techniques to combat both of these problems. First, to

stabilize the silicon in order to maintain maximum charge capacity, it sandwiched clusters of silicon

between the graphene sheets. This allowed for a greater number of lithium atoms in the electrode,

while utilizing the flexibility of graphene sheets to accommodate the volume changes of silicon during

use.

µNow we almost have the best of both worlds,¶ Kung said. We have much higher energy density

because of the silicon and the sandwiching reduces the capacity loss caused by the silicon

expanding and contracting. Even if the silicon clusters break up, the silicon won¶t be lost.¶

Kung¶s team also used a chemical oxidation process to create minuscule holes (10 to 20nm) in the

graphene sheets, termed µin-plane defects¶, so that the lithium ions would have a shortcut into the

anode and be stored there through their reaction with silicon.

The technology could pave the way for better batteries in mobile phones and iPods, as well as more

efficient, smaller batteries for electric cars. The research team believes that the technology could be

seen in the marketplace in the next three to five years.11/16/11 Technology could increase lithium-ion batteries' charge.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• 1 month later...

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/woman-takes-unique-road-to-sue-honda-over-mileage-20120103.html

" Heather Peters says her car never came close to getting the promised 50 miles per gallon, and as its battery deteriorated, it was getting only 30 mpg "

My VW Jetta gets 28.9 miles per gallon in city/hwy driving. Its a Stick shift may be that'll add a couple of miles but still quite close to Heather's Honda.

I'm sorry about you'r friend's son. But don't get carried away with emotions bro,seems like you started posting antihybrid topics all around.

And talking about cheap most people who have money and buys a gas guzzling suv is to show their financial status (or in other words show off) and it is a common thing not only here but in many parts of the world. And do you think that its a right thing to do If someone have enough money he should not buy a fuel efficient and moderately priced car but instead buy something else which consumes more fuel so he can spend more on fuel. A car is not every thing, at least not for me. I have other priorities kids, school, built a house,etc.etc. All I need a car is to serve my purpose, that means take me from A to B with the most economical way.Spending wisely is NOT as same as being CHEAP.

100%

There are damn idiots here who pumps gas to their thirsty BIG SUVs and Euros and keep the children starving.....Just for the show off

And they are the dumbest idiots....not the Hybrid buyers.

These fools will die in side their cars starving lol

You can significantly differentiate few guys in this forum tooo lol

100%

There are damn idiots here who pumps gas to their thirsty BIG SUVs and Euros and keep the children starving.....Just for the show off

And they are the dumbest idiots....not the Hybrid buyers.

These fools will die in side their cars starving lol

You can significantly differentiate few guys in this forum tooo lol

LOL...If you're gonna troll,be less obvious please...amateur!

Anyways Turboaunty....I'm offering you an invitation to the AL g2g this tuesday...show up,if you have the balls.

Anyways Turboaunty....I'm offering you an invitation to the AL g2g this tuesday...show up,if you have the balls.

the worse thing is the handle.. turboman. and the bugger wants a car to go from A to B.. turboman change ur name to simpleman or something and buy a nano.. please...

I revoke it. I prefer tolerable company, not idiots.

Seriously man, you need to stop engaging the troll.

Edited by Pericles

• 4 weeks later...

A senior individual at a reputed workshop in the Maradana area which also runs a popular hybrid center, mentioned that there are so many prius gen3's coming with electronic issues, and a general sensor replacement cost 30k plus. He also has seen quite few prius's and civics come in for converter failures that costs in excess of 400k. I am no expert in hybrids, but just conveying what I heard.

when front wheel drive cars started to arrive at SL in the 80's (front wheel drive cars had been in existance long before that and perhaps there were a few cars in SL as well, but the first mass entry started in SL in 80's with the Honda Civic I guess), a lot of our local mechanics got scared out of their sarongs and started advising car owners not to go near them as they are a recipe for disaster and were bound to fail.

Now 20-30 years on almost every car on our roads is a front wheel drive and any road side garage can fix them.

Similarly, until we go through the learning curve we will not be at our comfort zones with Hybrids, but I'm sure it will catch on.

Having said that, Hybrids still are not a fully tried and tested science even in a global scale and considering that there are a whole host of things which can go wrong with a Hybrid if not properly monitored and serviced by qualified mechanics and at duly equipped establishments, the switch will be as not as smooth as with rear wheel drive to front.

And FYI you Greenees, the production and disposal process of a Hybrid (especially the battery packs) cause far more environmetal damage to-date than a conventional fossil fuel car. Hopefully things will get better with further improvement of technology