• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

:: How Does Nos Work ::

dragster

Just thought I'll share some information with you guys...

There are three points. First, nitrous oxide is comprised of 2 parts nitrogen and one part oxygen (36% oxygen by weight). When the nitrous oxide is heated to approximately 572F (on compression stroke), it breaks down and releases its load of extra oxygen, However, it is not this oxygen alone which creates additional power, but the ability of this oxygen to burn more fuel. By burning more fuel, higher cylinder pressures are created and this is where most of the additional power is realized. Secondly, as pressurized nitrous oxide is injected into the intake manifold, it changes from a liquid to a gas (boils). This boiling affect reduces the temperature of the nitrous to minus 127 Degrees F. This "cooling affect" in turn significantly reduces intake charge temperatures by approximately 60-75 Degrees F. This also helps create additional power. A general rule of thumb: For every 10 Degrees F. reduction in intake charge temperature, a 1% increase in power will be realized. Example: A 350 HP engine with an intake temperature drop of 70 Degrees F, would gain approximately 25 HP on the cooling affect alone. The third point, the nitrogen that was also released during the compression stroke performs an important role. Nitrogen acts to "buff or damper" the increased cylinder pressures leading to a controlled combustion process and better slower heat release...

[###### removed #######]

Edited by MADZ

Nitrous Oxide Q and A

Is nitrous Oxide Poisonous?

Nitrous oxide is not poisonous at all as it is mainly used throughout the medical industry by professionals such as dentists and doctors who feed it to their patients to kill pain and also put them to sleep prior to surgery. This is also why nitrous oxide is referred to as "Laughing Gas", as it is a sedation drug that causes giggling when inhaled.

Why does nitrous have such a scary reputation?

There has been some very shoddy nitrous "kits" sold to unsuspecting customers over the last 20 years; this along with the abuse nitrous has suffered from those who damage their own engines.

Is Nitrous Oxide Legal?

Having a nitrous oxide system installed in your car is not illegal. However Injecting nitrous oxide into your engine in whilst driving on a public road can not really be commented on as we can not find any law against this but at the same time we can't find one that permits it. So we recommend keeping the bottle turned off until you're in a suitable surrounding to inject nitrous oxide, e.g. drag strip.

Will it destroy my engine?

Nitrous Oxide will not destroy your engine provided it has been fitted carefully and it is used correctly. People always sound astonished when you say "I'm using nitrous". They all assume your engine bonnet is going to pop off and your engine explode. This is because Nitrous was originally used for automotive use by drag racers, Drag racers did not have a safe system and tended to use unsafe engine methods such as literally turning on the bottle to a direct pipe into the engine intake and in huge amounts creating additional gains of up to 1000Bhp. Although this obviously worked but it did incredible damage to the engine components such as clutch and piston rings where exposed to extreme heats can crack or even shatter. Using small amounts of nitrous oxide in small bursts will do the engine no harm providing it is only injected when the acceleration is at its maximum as this is when your engine is under least pressure. Injecting nitrous oxide into your system when the engine is at a lower throttle can create more pressure than the engine is capable of. This is why the micro switch is always used at set only to activate when the throttle is in the "wide open" position.

Can I have a performance chip in my ECU while using my nitrous system?

Generally the answer is NO. Only if the chip has been designed specifically for use with nitrous oxide. Most performance chips on the market advance ignition timing to gain additional horsepower. This additional timing, when using nitrous, can cause engine damaging detonation. The only exception to this are chips that have been specifically programmed for nitrous use.

Can I use platinum plugs with nitrous injection?

No, it is not suggested to use platinum plugs with nitrous oxide injection. There have been instances where the platinum tip has lost its bond to either the center or ground electrode when they were used in a motor with nitrous. Thus far the tech's say they have had no problems using Iridium plugs with nitrous.

Where should I run the main nitrous feed line?

The feed line can be run either under the car of through the passenger compartment. Care should be taken to route the line away from any voltage points or moving suspension parts.

What is meant by 30, 50, 100, 150, and 200 shots?

"Shot" is commonly used slang in the nitrous community and it refers for the horsepower your nitrous kit is set to.

How long will a bottle of nitrous last?

It depends on bottle capacity and the size of the nitrous shot being used. On the 75hp setting, a 10 lb. bottle will last around 10 quarter mile runs. On the 125hp setting the bottle will last around 6 runs. For power levels of 250 HP, 3 to 5 full quarter-mile passes may be expected. The formula for calculating your nitrous usage is: 0.8 lbs N2O X 10 seconds = 100 horsepower. I.E. If your system is jetted for 100 horsepower it will use 0.8 lbs of nitrous for every 10 seconds of usage.

How long can I spray the nitrous system for?

You could spray your nitrous system until the bottle is empty. However 15 continuous seconds at a time, or less, is recommended.

What are the differences between a dry nozzle and a wet nozzle?

The "dry" system uses the factory fuel injection to enrich the nitrous introduced into the engine. The flaw with this technology is that no matter how much nitrous arrives at a certain intake port it always gets the same preset amount of fuel, or if a fuel injector becomes clogged engine damage will result. The "Wet" technology introduces a precise amount of fuel and nitrous through a high tech mixing nozzle that atomizes the fuel to microscopic proportions. This allows every cylinder to receive a precise, homogenous mixture of fuel and nitrous, thus insuring a safe, powerful increase.

Do I need a purge kit?

A nitrous purge kit clears the delivery lines of unwanted air and vapor and guarantees immediate power from your nitrous system. It's also used to intimidate your competition and shows the world your nitrous equipped.

What is the safest way to activate a nitrous system?

The safest way to activate a nitrous system is by using a wide open throttle - WOT - switch. Unless a progressive controller is used, activating a nitrous system at anything less than wide open throttle can greatly increase your chances for an intake system backfire. If you desire to use a push button for activation, you can simply install the push button inline with the wide-open throttle switch.

What is the minimum RPM I need before activating my nitrous system?

It is recommended that at least 2500rpm as a minimum is needed for nitrous system activation. This ensures that you will not have excessive cylinder pressures that could cause engine damage.

Will nitrous oxide cause detonation?

Not directly. Detonation is the result of too little fuel present during combustion (lean) or too low of an octane of fuel. Too much ignition advance also causes detonation. In general, most kits engineered for stock type engines will work well with premium type fuels and minimal decreases of ignition timing. In racing applications where higher compression ratios are used, resulting in higher cylinder pressures, a higher fuel octane must be used as well as more ignition retard.

Link: www.tuninglinx.com

Good I formation guys! :)B)

But beware before attempting any of these. The internet contains alot of erroneous information. Its best to consult some one who has done this sort of thing before. I am not discrediting the site u've mentioned but when touching ones car engine precautions should be applied at all costs. If you know what i mean? :)