• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fine For Reckless Driving/speeding

rayman

Hey guys i recently got copped for doing 81kmph (not much to brag about:P) in the Moratuwa stretch at 2.30am! I got copped for Speeding and Reckless Driving... an now straight to courts next week :( Does anyone know the fine for such offence? The cop who stopped me said 9000!!.. the other cop who was there said 1500.. an the a cop in the Moratuwa Police staion said it was 7500.. he actually didnt know himself.. (stupid sri lankan cops) im confused now.. and im yet to tell my parents! And do i need a lawyer as well?

Can anyone please help me out?

Thanks

:)

Hey guys i recently got copped for doing 81kmph (not much to brag about:P) in the Moratuwa stretch at 2.30am! I got copped for Speeding and Reckless Driving... an now straight to courts next week :( Does anyone know the fine for such offence? The cop who stopped me said 9000!!.. the other cop who was there said 1500.. an the a cop in the Moratuwa Police staion said it was 7500.. he actually didnt know himself.. (stupid sri lankan cops) im confused now.. and im yet to tell my parents! And do i need a lawyer as well?

Can anyone please help me out?

Thanks

:)

I've already replied on 'cops on the street --145th post. However for convenience - i've copied the same below:-

Hi Rayman,

Firstly - its recommended to retain a Lawyer. The reason - as to why you should retain a lawyer might sound silly in a public forum -- however if you are curious enough to know -pls PM.

Re the rest of the question - You could be charged under 2 offences. I've enumerated the charges and fines respectively. The bold letters applies to you --the rest is for the info of others.

Charge 01--'Recklessly or in a dangerous manner or at a dangerous speed' -->

a fine not less than one thousand five hundred rupees and not exceeding twenty fifty thousand rupees,

[ and on a second conviction to a fine not less than two thousand five hundred rupees and not exceeding twenty five thousand rupees and the suspension of his driving licence, and on a third or subsequent conviction, to a fine not less than three thousand five hundred rupees and not exceeding twenty five thousand rupees and the cancellation of his driving licence or to rigorous imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months to both such fine and imprisonment.]

Charge 02 -Negligently or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway

a fine not less than one thousand five hundred rupees and not exceeding twenty five thousand rupees,

and on a second conviction to a fine not less than two thousand five hundred rupees and not exceeding twenty five thousand rupees and on a third or subsequent conviction to a fine not less than three thousand five hundred rupees and not exceeding twenty five thousand rupees and the suspension of his driving licence for a period of six months.

Edited by mirage7777

• 7 years later...