• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Vitz Navigation System

K a Z u N

hi,

i recently bought a toyota vitz car and it has a 2-din 6.5" touch dvd player that has gps. there is a gps slot to insert a some thning like a sim. gps wont work with out it. can some one tell me how to get this gps sim/card. so my car gps system will work

It would be easier if you could post a picture of the unit but im guessing you are talking about the memory card slot. Its there to store the GPS maps, types of cards used differs from unit to unit. what is the make and model of your GPS ?

You might also want to take a look at this

It would be easier if you could post a picture of the unit but im guessing you are talking about the memory card slot. Its there to store the GPS maps, types of cards used differs from unit to unit. what is the make and model of your GPS ?

You might also want to take a look at this

wait ill upload some pics now

ya its some thng like a memory card slot as u can see. from where can i buy a gps mem card for this ? can u pls provide me the info ? and how to see the model of this player ? "2-din 6.5 dvd player" only this is there in the interface

Okay this wasn't what i was expecting, i was talking about the memory card slot but there seems to another slot. By the looks of it i think it actually is a sim card slot, some GPS units require a sim to download data and maps on the fly. FYI there is no such thing as a gps card what you do is download the GPS map according to manufacturer and put it on a normal SD memory card.

But dont try your luck by inserting a sim into that slot cause you can fry both the sim and the unit.

Okay the best thing to do is to remove your unit from the dashboard and there should be a model number in the back or the side.

The other option is to take it to a place like Pet*o lanka, you should also try places that are advertised on hitad related to navigation units.

tx in advance. ill look in tp this more and share wt i get.

1. Your car might be having an Assisted GPS (A-GPS) unit, which is similar to what is found in mobile phones. If you insert a sim card with a data package, it might start working. Try to see if a sim card fits in to the slot. Although each type of card has its unique shape so that people dont accidentally poke one type of card to another type of slot, keep the unit off, just in case.

2. It could be a slot for a GPS data card (most likely scenario), such as the Garmin data cards found in this link http://www.gpsnow.com/gmdc.htm

These cards contain maps but these are in proprietary formats, so you won't be able to get it from any random store. There may be pirated ones around though.

The slot looks like a TF card slot to me (AKA Micro SD card). Try to see if a Micro SD card fits in, with the unit off. If that is the case, then you may need a Micro SD card with GPS maps in them (Garmin or tomtom or whatever).

Although the scenario of damaging your equipment is highly unlikely, if you try these, it will be at your own risk.

Edited by Crosswind

1. Your car might be having an Assisted GPS (A-GPS) unit, which is similar to what is found in mobile phones. If you insert a sim card with a data package, it might start working. Try to see if a sim card fits in to the slot. Although each type of card has its unique shape so that people dont accidentally poke one type of card to another type of slot, keep the unit off, just in case.

2. It could be a slot for a GPS data card (most likely scenario), such as the Garmin data cards found in this link http://www.gpsnow.com/gmdc.htm

These cards contain maps but these are in proprietary formats, so you won't be able to get it from any random store. There may be pirated ones around though.

The slot looks like a TF card slot to me (AKA Micro SD card). Try to see if a Micro SD card fits in, with the unit off. If that is the case, then you may need a Micro SD card with GPS maps in them (Garmin or tomtom or whatever).

Although the scenario of damaging your equipment is highly unlikely, if you try these, it will be at your own risk.

Crosswind, no offence bro but dont you think that sticking a sim or a memory card in and seeing if it works by trial and error is a little risky ?

He could fry the port if there is any short circuit :(

Edited by The Stig

Crosswind, no offence bro but dont you think that sticking a sim or a memory card in and seeing if it works by trial and error is a little risky ?

He could fry the port if there is any short circuit :(

I definitely understand your concern and I would be a bit worried too, if someone tells me to try something like this.

But the fact is all standard cards have their unique designs and notches to ensure that people dont try to poke the wrong type of card in to a slot. That's why u cant fit in a Micro SD memory card to a sim card slot even if u desperately wanted to burn your phone :)

Or another example is that you cannot poke an M2 card (from a Sony Ericcson phone) to a Micro SD slot (of a Nokia phone) despite them having the same size cards.

If a card fits in to a slot, it will happen effortlessly, with just a gentle push. If not, forget it.

So the chances of damaging the equipment are a bit rare, especially with no power supplied to the unit.

Having said all this, IT IS a Jap product and it may have a unique type of card which is only available in Japan, which may, by some freaky design, have a pin configuration coinciding with TF cards or sims. This will definitely cause problems, especially if power is ON. So there maybe a risk involved (although the chances are very low). You are actually right in that sense.

That's also the reason for my disclaimer.

Edited by Crosswind

tx for ur replays and The Stig & Crosswind i tryed inserting a normal sim card but the sim card is too big to insert. the slot is small. so i tryed to insert a Micro SD memory card,it was too small. i felt like if i insert it it will fall inside. it was too small. so the slot size is between normal gsm sim card n micro sd card ( micro sd card < gsm sim ). i dont have a GARMIN data card to check. so i wanted to know is this data card's size is between micro sd card n gsm sim ??

• 9 years later...