• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Alfa Romeo Reliability. An Unjust Myth Debunked.

VVTi

Ok, call me biased. I have an Alfa 164 and I wanted to think my Alfa is reliable against all odds. Bought it in bits and pieces with almost all major systems failing or falling apart. Spent a good 2 months and this side of Rs. 300,000 putting all the bits and pieces back together. Even then the skeptics laughed and doubted almost all things about her. But then last Thursday all the way to this Tuesday I went about proving to myself above all else that the Alfa is as good as your random Japanese car that people in SL genuflect on a daily basis and sell their souls and their mothers to acquire.

Total distance covered 1650Kms.

Total gas pumped, almost 200Ltrs.

Breakdowns 0

Doubts about performance 0

An Alfa 3.0 V6 engine at full throttle, it vibrates your whole body at a godforsaken frequency that causes your face to crack open with an ear to ear smile.

I had the smile when the cops flagged me over, which ticked them off more... :)

That my dear friends, is a feeling you will never get in your average Toyota/Honda/Nissan with PushStart and Scoop lights and HID Xenons... ;)

So, what I am saying is that get out of the box, do something different. Don't follow the herd. Live a little.

Buy an Alfa, love it to bits, keep the faith, put it back together like its your own broken heart and she will not let you down.

Edited by VVTi
  • Like 7

Killer stuff man. It's annoying when people put down your car for silly reasons.

Btw, were you alone on your run? Cause I noticed you've managed over 8kmpl... wonder what the fuel-crazies have to say about that! :D

Edited by Big_D

Its time to take AL back to its original role, the haven for petrol heads, not fuel consumption threads or Scohttp://op light threads. :angry-smiley-048:

Meanwhile, purring along on the Kanniya-Sradhdapura road, if you can ll it that... 7kms of dirt road that only dump trucks use. :)

fwtsn.jpg

Edited by VVTi
  • Like 2

thats what being a true petrol is all about, well said machan! :grinning-smiley-003:

BTW, Tharidra, for proof on that paint-job, check the panels below the centerline on the doors and the buffer areas... ;)

Not a ripple.

good post and well written on behalf of all petrol heads and Euro fans. Wanna company of a 406 next time to tame these dirty roads?

Euro's are wonderful in doing long trips than running about in Colombo, then only you can get the real feeling of the handling and comfort of an Euro. Went on Anuradhapura once and Kataragama on frequent basis with a return figure in excess of 14kmpl which is more than enough for me.

Nice!...Alfamalee's looking sexay!...or was it Francheska?

oooohhh that last pic of the engine is giving me a weird fizzing sensation...one of the best looking power plants of all time..I wanna put it in ma living room and look at it all day long. :)

No way not tomorrow coz put it up for sale thinking of an upgrade after 4+ years.. can't handle the amount of calls I'm getting. If no lucky taker turns up, may be next week :D

So it's your D8 that's on Autolanka. Somehow I guessed that. Looks in very good nick machan !

And VVTI very nice article. That is what being a petrol head is all about. To be honest, people might think 300K is a lot and moan about it but I've spent well over 150K on my Mitsubishi which I only drive for a month every year, and I acquired it not in bits and pieces ! So this too expensive to maintain is a bit of a myth.

The 3.0V6 is one of the best engines Alfa ever made. One of my neighbours own not one but two 166s :) They have become very cheap over here as they are quite rare and not many people know about the model.

Edited by The Don

So it's your D8 that's on Autolanka. Somehow I guessed that. Looks in very good nick machan !

And VVTI very nice article. That is what being a petrol head is all about. To be honest, people might think 300K is a lot and moan about it but I've spent well over 150K on my Mitsubishi which I only drive for a month every year, and I acquired it not in bits and pieces ! So this too expensive to maintain is a bit of a myth.

The 3.0V6 is one of the best engines Alfa ever made. One of my neighbours own not one but two 165s :) They have become very cheap over here as they are quite rare and not many people know about the model.

:) let's not get there as it's not ethical to discuss in the forum

At last people started believing maintaining and repairing Euro's aint exorbitantly expensive. A friend of mine done some small repairs of a 110 and ended up paying a bill in excess of 50k and I questioned the mechanic who's a trust worthy guy and he said the parts in delkanda junk yards are becoming scares due to new custom practices in clearing used spare parts.

No way not tomorrow coz put it up for sale thinking of an upgrade after 4+ years.. can't handle the amount of calls I'm getting. If no lucky taker turns up, may be next week :D

I saw the ad and the "new starter motor" caught my attention (since you had mentioned it on some posts) and thought it was yours - and the phone number confirmed it ;)

The 3.0V6 is one of the best engines Alfa ever made. One of my neighbours own not one but two 165s :) They have become very cheap over here as they are quite rare and not many people know about the model.

Alfa 165? Can't find any pics.

Hows your Euro doing btw?

Loving it :) it's been behaving itself pretty nicely for a while now (after all the brain damage getting it fixed up the first time around)... only recent problem was the rear view mirror leaking its fluid out :S

Got down a cruise control stalk cos supposedly it's just a case of plugging it in the steering column and configuring it in Lexia... I know it's possibly the most useless upgrade I could make, but it seemed a fun and cheap thing to try out!