• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Colombo-katunayake Expressway Project - 25.2 Km

MADZ

untitled17ed.jpg

The construction of an expressway from Colombo to Katunayke is a long felt need to provide easy transport between the Bandaranaike International Airport and the capital of the country. During the last two decades several alternative routes were tried out before finalizing the current trace through Peliyagoda, Mabole and Muthurajawela marshes, which has minimum inconvenience to the public and reduce enormous land acquisition costs by avoiding densely populated areas. The Colombo end of the expressway will be connected to the existing New Kelani Bridge whilst Katunayke end will be connected to the approach road to the Airport.

untitled29ky.jpg

The proposed 25.2 km long expressway will have a four-lane dual carriageway (of width 25.4 m) facility to cater to a design speed of 110 km/hr from 8th-25th km, and to a design speed of 80 km/hr from 0 to 8th km section. The expressway has been provided with two interchanges at the two ends and at Peliyagoda and Ja-Ela to provide entries and exits for the expressway. The proposed Outer Circular Highway (OCH) will be connected to the CKE through the interchange proposed at Kerawalapitiya on the 9th km.

untitled31uz.jpg

The five interchanges will provide the facilities for the vehicles to enter the expressway and to leave the expressway as stated below.

The New Kelani Bridge (NKB) interchange will provide the facility of connecting the traffic from Colombo - Kandy Road (A1), Peliyagoda - Puttalam Road (A3), an! d NKB to enter the CKE.

The Peliyagoda interchange will provide the facility to enter the traffic from A1 and A3 routes to the expressway and for the traffic on the expressway to enter A1 and A3.

The Kerawalapitiya interchange will provide the facility to enter the traffic from proposed Outer Circular Highway(OCH) to the expressway and for the traffic on the expressway to enter the OCH.

At the Ja-Ela interchange the A3 route and the Tudalla - Pamunugama - Talahena - Negombo roads are connected to the interchange.

At the Katunayake interchange the CKE is connected to the A3 and the access road to the airport.

untitled47bh.jpg

Madz, is there an estimated date of completion ?

The Don

Hi Don, the project started last month by signing a contract between the SL.gov and some chinese company....they hoping to complete the project in 39 months !! Will see how it goes....:action-smiley-060:

Hi Don, the project started last month by signing a contract between the SL.gov and some chinese company....they hoping to complete the project in 39 months !! Will see how it goes....:action-smiley-060:

So we should be travelling on it in 2010? well, lets see...

and they are planing another project Highway from Attidiya to baseline Rd,, and the road starts from ( Bakariya Junction ) bt to do this project they need to remove lots of buildings bt the main problem is they have to remove a Temples. ( near balapokuna rd )

i thought this was given to keagnam (or a company like that) to complete and ofcourse there was some problem... it was in the papers..

This road is beign built from the time of CBK isnt it?

And another note i saw on a Sunday newspaper that this is the most expensive Express way when it comes to cost per KM as there are lot of dirt involved

OH Thanks for the info Madz.

I was wondering why the road suddenly entered the sea. Now i understand why after looking at picture 6.

negamboroad3rp.jpg

Machang, you are like Mr.Earth of Autolanka :action-smiley-060:

here's one pic...notice the katunayake runway top left

dsc021020xy.th.jpg

Machang, anytime we can expand this and modify this to a express way cum runway. Saves cost, increased air trafic handling

Guys, lets show some faith in the Chinthanaya. They've already started work on it and I think there is a good chance we'll see this road before 2011. After all, the Baseline Road didn't take that long, did it, considering the size of the project?

guys you will be supprised, the southern expressway project is on schedule, they are close to finishing the first leg by the estimated 2006 August. atleast was the case when I was down visiting my grand parents in April, so I am quite optimistic,

fingers crossed of course,

The Don

Guys, lets show some faith in the Chinthanaya. They've already started work on it and I think there is a good chance we'll see this road before 2011. After all, the Baseline Road didn't take that long, did it, considering the size of the project?

If you guys had made the right choice in 11-17-2005 maybe we should have got over head express ways...But now too late..

If you guys had made the right choice in 11-17-2005 maybe we should have got over head express ways...But now too late..

there's no use u constantly talkin abt it cos its over...now stop whining cos there r more important things to settle in SL than express ways to the airport...