• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hrv As A Family Suv

aswe

Hi guys

I am interested in changing to a HRV. Compared to civic I expect more ground clearance and space from HRV. (hey why civic has such a low ground clearance). How about a one around 2000 or 2001 model. How is the fuel and maintanance. Pros and Cons of a HRV. Reselling. Can you guys help me out do make the choice.

Thanks in advance.

aswe

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys

I am interested in changing to a HRV. Compared to civic I expect more ground clearance and space from HRV. (hey why civic has such a low ground clearance). How about a one around 2000 or 2001 model. How is the fuel and maintanance. Pros and Cons of a HRV. Reselling. Can you guys help me out do make the choice.

Thanks in advance.

aswe

Well, wise choice. Actulay HRV is a wagon with big wheels. But its a lovely vehicle. Very comfortable, you can buy a reg for 2.2 upwards...dont worry about the 2nd hand market...its a myth now for Honda

Well, wise choice. Actulay HRV is a wagon with big wheels. But its a lovely vehicle. Very comfortable, you can buy a reg for 2.2 upwards...dont worry about the 2nd hand market...its a myth now for Honda

Macho

Thanks for the info. If you or any body has actually experiace please let me know the fuel consumption of a HRV. And any spcific thing I need to take care or should look for when buying a HRV. Thanks again for the reply.

aswe

Macho

Thanks for the info. If you or any body has actually experiace please let me know the fuel consumption of a HRV. And any spcific thing I need to take care or should look for when buying a HRV. Thanks again for the reply.

aswe

Yes machang, its 1600cc. So should be around 10-13kms. But remember there are 2 models -2WD and 4WD

Yes machang, its 1600cc. So should be around 10-13kms. But remember there are 2 models -2WD and 4WD

A. Love to know what u based the fuel figure on.

B. I have the feeling u mean the opposite of what u said. "its a myth now for Honda" mean that Honda markets 2nd hand value is a myth, therefore, Honda's second hand value is non-existant. Probably not what u meant, but its what u said. Also love to know what ur basing that statement on. The fact that civics move on the market doesn't mean it applies to the whole range.

Hi,

Our neighbour , a foreign family has a HRV. Its a manual. I have used it much often, drove it often. And i talk with expereince..

A. Love to know what u based the fuel figure on.

B. I have the feeling u mean the opposite of what u said. "its a myth now for Honda" mean that Honda markets 2nd hand value is a myth, therefore, Honda's second hand value is non-existant. Probably not what u meant, but its what u said. Also love to know what ur basing that statement on. The fact that civics move on the market doesn't mean it applies to the whole range.

Bro, what ever we say, we have a poor market for Subaru, Honda, Mazda over here...Maybe we are so much in love with these brands. But go to a sale, if you have 10 Corollas maybe there is one Honda in a corner. And when a 121 G go for 2.7mil, a Civic 2002 Exi will just slip for 2.4 and it will take a bit of time to sell it off. And when it comes to used Hondas, we got to accept that it is the truth

Hi,

Our neighbour , a foreign family has a HRV. Its a manual. I have used it much often, drove it often. And i talk with expereince..

Bro, what ever we say, we have a poor market for Subaru, Honda, Mazda over here...Maybe we are so much in love with these brands. But go to a sale, if you have 10 Corollas maybe there is one Honda in a corner. And when a 121 G go for 2.7mil, a Civic 2002 Exi will just slip for 2.4 and it will take a bit of time to sell it off. And when it comes to used Hondas, we got to accept that it is the truth

100% agrees with the Honda myth about fuel. I use a ek3 97 model (manual) and i found it is very economical. I have avaraged around 11km/l in the city and over 13km/l in the long run. Last April I went Nuwara Eliya and that trip it was avaraged to 12.8km/l. Every time I used dump full tank and zero the meter. So that I know how is the perfermance. The only reason made me to change the car is the ground clearance. Otherwise I am so happy with it. But it is true when it comes to sell the vehicle. Lot of says if it is a Honda then maintaining it is very expensive which is again a myth I say. I did all the work @ Stafford and I am happy with their rates.

100% agrees with the Honda myth about fuel. I use a ek3 97 model (manual) and i found it is very economical. I have avaraged around 11km/l in the city and over 13km/l in the long run. Last April I went Nuwara Eliya and that trip it was avaraged to 12.8km/l. Every time I used dump full tank and zero the meter. So that I know how is the perfermance. The only reason made me to change the car is the ground clearance. Otherwise I am so happy with it. But it is true when it comes to sell the vehicle. Lot of says if it is a Honda then maintaining it is very expensive which is again a myth I say. I did all the work @ Stafford and I am happy with their rates.

Well Honda's are economical, at least most SOHC's(may be not EG8), my City did a freaking 16km/L once(on a trip to Amapara), all around the world Honda is well known for fuel efficient rides, take ACCORD/CIVIC line up and compare it with Nissans higher displaced line up and you see the difference!!!

---

but i completely disagree on maintenenace thing, well the thing is you can't put in duplicate parts for Honda, but I know most Toyota's have no material issue with cheaper parts and rough use. So maintaining is expensive from a typical Sri Lankan's point of view!(Since U hav enough means to go to the agent for bread and butter you wouldnt know the difference)

---

HRV is suppose to be having a lessor market value as it is suppose to be a bit underpoowered according to what I hav overheard?

Well Honda's are economical, at least most SOHC's(may be not EG8), my City did a freaking 16km/L once(on a trip to Amapara), all around the world Honda is well known for fuel efficient rides, take ACCORD/CIVIC line up and compare it with Nissans higher displaced line up and you see the difference!!!

---

but i completely disagree on maintenenace thing, well the thing is you can't put in duplicate parts for Honda, but I know most Toyota's have no material issue with cheaper parts and rough use. So maintaining is expensive from a typical Sri Lankan's point of view!(Since U hav enough means to go to the agent for bread and butter you wouldnt know the difference)

---

HRV is suppose to be having a lessor market value as it is suppose to be a bit underpoowered according to what I hav overheard?

Mcho

Thanks for the comment. But I would like to know more on what you mean by underpowered ??. Can any body compare HRV to one of the competitive vehicle.

Mcho

Thanks for the comment. But I would like to know more on what you mean by underpowered ??. Can any body compare HRV to one of the competitive vehicle.

Guys

Also can u guys comment on the ground clearance of Civic compare to corolla etc.

aswe

Hi,

hola get the basics right mate. there are loads of other reasons why a honda exi is 2.4mil. price has nothing to do with a exi been cheaper than a 121.

hondas were hard to sell few years back mainly due to maintenance costs similar to european cars since im not familiar with the current market it wont be right for me to make any comments about the current situation. but from what i've heard its not that hard to sell honda civics thanks to the whole 'pimp my car' mentality.

n finally, mazdas never had a poor market. actually it did about a decade ago. 1994 model mazda familia/323 had no problems in sales and loads were brought down using permits those days.

aswe why not go for a nice sedan man. do you do lot of outstation driving coz come on sri lankan roads are not that bad. im not a much of a mini SUV fan. so from my personnel point of view i'd say go for something else.

hola get the basics right mate. there are loads of other reasons why a honda exi is 2.4mil. price has nothing to do with a exi been cheaper than a 121.

hondas were hard to sell few years back mainly due to maintenance costs similar to european cars since im not familiar with the current market it wont be right for me to make any comments about the current situation. but from what i've heard its not that hard to sell honda civics thanks to the whole 'pimp my car' mentality.

n finally, mazdas never had a poor market. actually it did about a decade ago. 1994 model mazda familia/323 had no problems in sales and loads were brought down using permits those days.

aswe why not go for a nice sedan man. do you do lot of outstation driving coz come on sri lankan roads are not that bad. im not a much of a mini SUV fan. so from my personnel point of view i'd say go for something else.

Machan

thanks for the idea and advice. The main reason for me to go for a HRV is the ground clearnace of the civic. I do not run very often on such a bad roads. But unfortunately presently I am living bit far from the main road and the road towards my home is bid of upset. Other situation is I go to Matale for about 2 times a month to see an ayurvedic doctor for a back pain treatment. Otherwise I usually on good roads. Some times I use corolla 121 and found the ground clearance is enaugh for me. But I dont want to chage from civic to corolla due to ground clearance. Having this terrible back pain civic gives me much more comfort compared to corolla. As I told mine is ek3 97 (ferrio) I dont know how the models above 2000. Do they have a better ground clearance? If so I am happy to go for that. Is it that hard to make the choice of a mini SUV???

Machan

thanks for the idea and advice. The main reason for me to go for a HRV is the ground clearnace of the civic. I do not run very often on such a bad roads. But unfortunately presently I am living bit far from the main road and the road towards my home is bid of upset. Other situation is I go to Matale for about 2 times a month to see an ayurvedic doctor for a back pain treatment. Otherwise I usually on good roads. Some times I use corolla 121 and found the ground clearance is enaugh for me. But I dont want to chage from civic to corolla due to ground clearance. Having this terrible back pain civic gives me much more comfort compared to corolla. As I told mine is ek3 97 (ferrio) I dont know how the models above 2000. Do they have a better ground clearance? If so I am happy to go for that. Is it that hard to make the choice of a mini SUV???

U wanna tall car, look at Nissan's Tiida Latio :) Bloody ridiculous looking, but gotta be one of the tallest cars around :)

U did only once 16 in your city.... that's also only once....I thought a city might do more than that in long distance running... some thing might be wrong with your car then... or may be with you.

U wanna tall car, look at Nissan's Tiida Latio :) Bloody ridiculous looking, but gotta be one of the tallest cars around :)

I really hate the look of that ...

U did only once 16 in your city.... that's also only once....I thought a city might do more than that in long distance running... some thing might be wrong with your car then... or may be with you.

I really hate the look of that ...

yeah only once, datz good for my auto tranny!

A Honda once was a car people would say

"too much maintainance cost, no second hand value, no good mechanics to repair, always troublsome" etc. But the user knows how it preforms. But now look around, lot of young executives who may get a loan from the company or collect some money are going to Hondas. And look at Mazda, earlier the mazda familia was classified as a no second hand value car. But look now, all the Mazda 3, Rx-7 are hitting the roads.

Sri Lankans have a crazy mentality. Like 5 door van has a lesser price than a 4 door van. But in Japan 5 door has best value. And look at Automatic and manual...Sri lankans were freaked out to use ATM until 4-5years back. I still rember this was the same case for power steering where people were so freaked out to buy a vehicle with PS. And now the modern day Triptonic Montero-at first Triptonic means trouble, but now a Montero would not sell if it is not triptronic. And even look at Korean vehicles then and now.....

Thats just a though and obsevation, hope u guys agree...its all about mentality

SOHC 1.7 engine not 1.6.. very much like the engine that came in the ES RS.. I dont think it's under powered I drove one up to Nuwara Eliya once without an issue. (the vehicle was fully loaded with stuff for a trip) A very good buy for outstation running, the manual give box is nice and crisp with a nice light fly wheelm and sometimes it feels like your driving an automatic! It's maybe the best SUV you can buy for that price...

Machan

What is it with Ek3's and back problems? damn I have the same issue with my Ek :ninja: At the risk of going OT I know the exact feeling.. right down to my slipped disk!

A Honda once was a car people would say

"too much maintainance cost, no second hand value, no good mechanics to repair, always troublsome" etc. But the user knows how it preforms. But now look around, lot of young executives who may get a loan from the company or collect some money are going to Hondas. And look at Mazda, earlier the mazda familia was classified as a no second hand value car. But look now, all the Mazda 3, Rx-7 are hitting the roads.

Sri Lankans have a crazy mentality. Like 5 door van has a lesser price than a 4 door van. But in Japan 5 door has best value. And look at Automatic and manual...Sri lankans were freaked out to use ATM until 4-5years back. I still rember this was the same case for power steering where people were so freaked out to buy a vehicle with PS. And now the modern day Triptonic Montero-at first Triptonic means trouble, but now a Montero would not sell if it is not triptronic. And even look at Korean vehicles then and now.....

Thats just a though and obsevation, hope u guys agree...its all about mentality

hola, i agree to some extend on your argument about the 5 door vans. 5 door vans are a major among commercial users. BUT CIF value of a 5 door is still bit lower than the 4 door due to low demand.

about automatic rather than the mentality i would say they had a low demand due to practicality. when auto tranny n power steering first came to SL there weren’t many skilled mechanics in these areas plus there wasn’t much spare parts either. thats the main reason why these vehicles had a poor demand.

well about the koreans, i think people are forced to go for korenas due to the insane tax hikes.

n finally most of the rx-7s in SL is pretty damn old they are a common site now coz people has been restoring hacked rx-7s thanks to the 'body kit/street racing' trend. it has nothing to do with local mentality.

same thing is happening to old 4x4 thanks to the boost of interest in offroading.

Another changed trend was the Toyota Hiace Dolphin. Earlier these vans were said to be having a problem with the engine head and it had a lesser market, I rember in 1996 when we bought our Hiace there were some 5 door hiace selling for 6lakhs too. All beacuse of the myth that it had a engine head problem. But look at it now...If you see 10 vans - 7 will be hiace vans. And a unreg van now starts at 1.8milionm which will be Petrol short model to 6.2milion which is brand new diesel full seat model.

SOHC 1.7 engine not 1.6.. very much like the engine that came in the ES RS.. I dont think it's under powered I drove one up to Nuwara Eliya once without an issue. (the vehicle was fully loaded with stuff for a trip) A very good buy for outstation running, the manual give box is nice and crisp with a nice light fly wheelm and sometimes it feels like your driving an automatic! It's maybe the best SUV you can buy for that price...

What is it with Ek3's and back problems? damn I have the same issue with my Ek :( At the risk of going OT I know the exact feeling.. right down to my slipped disk!

Well machang

Its not about ek3 and back problem. I had a accident when i was at a damm maruti 800 van. I was at the rear seat while it went on a hump. Due to that I had a terrible disk problem and even could not walk for few weeks. Now I am slowly recovering. I could not use any vehicle other than the ek3. It was ok with me but not even a brand new 121. I love that ek3 as it was the only vehicle could use me for the last one year period. I think it made me to stick to honda.

Well machang

Its not about ek3 and back problem. I had a accident when i was at a damm maruti 800 van. I was at the rear seat while it went on a hump. Due to that I had a terrible disk problem and even could not walk for few weeks. Now I am slowly recovering. I could not use any vehicle other than the ek3. It was ok with me but not even a brand new 121. I love that ek3 as it was the only vehicle could use me for the last one year period. I think it made me to stick to honda.

sounds gud bro ... i have seen lot of people move to honda like that way. There was guy who loved toyota, suddenly he had to drive ek3 for his friends wedding. he was amazed by ride and next day he sold his toyota corolla :( guys this is not toyota bashing ok. its a true story ...

I could not use any vehicle other than the ek3. It was ok with me but not even a brand new 121. I love that ek3 as it was the only vehicle could use me for the last one year period. I think it made me to stick to honda.

Conclusion: People with back pains should use Hondas = Honda users are suffering from back pains. :alc:

sounds gud bro ... i have seen lot of people move to honda like that way. There was guy who loved toyota, suddenly he had to drive ek3 for his friends wedding. he was amazed by ride and next day he sold his toyota corolla :blink: guys this is not toyota bashing ok. its a true story ...

He must be suffering from a back pain as well. It's common among Honda users.... :(

Conclusion: People with back pains should use Hondas = Honda users are suffering from back pains. :alc:

He must be suffering from a back pain as well. It's common among Honda users.... :(

After bending over the engine bay too much? :blink: