• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tata Nano

Nirosha

kmpl figures at that price bracket seems to be the only thing going for nano.

i feel that still they might have overhyped and overpriced the nano to be a viable option for first time car buyers.

will be interesting to see how they try to position it...

True. For a car billed as the cheapest car in the world, it sure is bloody expensive here. :D

I saw one outta the corner of my eye the other day, didn't even warrant a second glance.

I was at a Creativity/Innovation session by Frederik Haren last year; and he said he was at the Launch event for the Nano. He said the car was being bashed in the press (not sure if he meant Indian press or European press) for not being "safe", but his take on it was that the Nano was not about building a safer car, but about building a safer alternative to motorcycles (and I guess tuk tuks), which was what the lower income people could afford.

I don't know how the price positioning of Nano in India is, compared to motorcycles and tuk tuks; but if was at a price where a person could stretch their motorbike budget and buy it, then it would be a good thing

Of course, at nearly a million bucks that argument is anyway not applicable in Sri Lanka

Can't we import a used one from India? It will be much cheaper (if possilbe)

Why the heck would you want to do that? :blink: After everything thats being said, you think this thing will last in a good condition that makes buying a used one a good option?

Why the heck would you want to do that? :blink: After everything thats being said, you think this thing will last in a good condition that makes buying a used one a good option?

After all that has being told I thought it will be a good alternative for three wheelers. That is if you can have it around 4 - 5 laks. Obviously I am not going to buy one for myself. :D Just thought the possibilities of having a one for cheap.

After all that has being told I thought it will be a good alternative for three wheelers. That is if you can have it around 4 - 5 laks. Obviously I am not going to buy one for myself. :D Just thought the possibilities of having a one for cheap.

Might as well just buy a three wheeler. At least there is less effort getting hold of one, instead of traveling, waiting, shipping, bribing, etc.

Indian Nano - 2 cylinder 600CC engine, hydraulic brakes, wheelbase 2230mm, mechanical power steering, no airbag, no crumple zone ~$2000 price tag

European Nano (Nano Europa) - 3 cylinder 900CC, ABS brakes, wheelbase 2280mm, electric power steering, airbags, crumple zone, ~$6000 price tag

(Source: wikipedia, autocar magazine and autoblog.com)

The crash test for Nano is done at 56km/h with 40% offset. That's because the car is in the 'quadricycle' category. If u claim it's a good indication of safety of nano, why don't u try driving one head-on to a brick wall at about 80km/h?

We have had trolls from car importers posting marketing messages in this forum. That is why we are usually arrogant at any posting that 'lauds' any vehicle without a reason, especially 'lauds' a pile of junk like Nano. My apologies if you are not that. However, you need to get your facts straight about the Indian and the so-called export version of the Nano.

Finally, we've had enough of the crappy maruti and three-wheelers on sri lankan roads. Hope we don't see many nanos to add to our misery.

You forgot to mention the crappy Bajaj Pulsars, TVS Bikes, Scooty's etc.......

Minor modifications to the car are changing the engine from 2-cylinder to 3-cylinder, changing the braking system, changing the steering system and changing the wheelbase. Also changing the price tag from $2000 to $6000.

BTW, the manufacturers of tiny cars including the Nano, are getting in to Europe because of a loophole in the regulations. These are classified as quadricycles, not cars. The safety tests and regulations are pretty lenient for quadricycles compared to cars. But Europe is currently reviewing the laws for quadricycles because of the influx of tiny cars such as Nano, Chery QQ, Reva etc.

So u guys know that we ridicule you. I'm glad cos I thought you guys are too dumb to know that. What makes you think that Nano will make us change that perception, when u guys come up with one crap after the other? For example, did you know that one of the four powerset trains purchased from India last month, stopped right in the middle of its its very first journey and just wouldn't start? So much for Indian engineering.

I am pretty sure prison cells offer space, comfort and value too. But I can definitely ridicule it without getting in to one.

Good. so what caused the fires?

If this guy is from the agent, I wonder if I can take him to Consumer Protection Authority, for giving out misleading information :D

===============================================================================================================================================

So u guys know that we ridicule you. I'm glad cos I thought you guys are too dumb to know that. What makes you think that Nano will make us change that perception, when u guys come up with one crap after the other? For example, did you know that one of the four powerset trains purchased from India last month, stopped right in the middle of its its very first journey and just wouldn't start? So much for Indian engineering.

================================================================================================================================================

Do not import Indian power sets (even if it is under a long term payment / grant from india). Instead buy reliable European Power Sets or develop technology to make them in SL.

why do you want to do that dude you want to be inside of a very ugly car ? you better off with what you driving now.

Do not import Indian power sets (even if it is under a long term payment / grant from india). Instead buy reliable European Power Sets or develop technology to make them in SL.

Thanks for the tip. I was hoping to go locomotive shopping this weekend in india, I better cancel that then :)

• Like 4

Finding one that hasn't caught fire would be an issue :rolleyes:

yeah but for many ppl in sl, this would be the only option if they are to buy a brand new car..

I dont think so my friend, the nano has been price marked at 975,000/= smackers, so if im spending that much id go for a used JAP cz theyd still be better, but yeah you were talking abt B/N bt still not Cheap.

It also looks butt ugly, and my friends let me tell you that arent just 4 or 5 somewhere in Thotalanga or Peliyagoda I think i saw a yard full of such parisites oh sorry cars,, brought to SL.

Edited by crazycarguy

For that price I'd rather put the money in a bank and suicide...... Well some one said that the tax is around 500k,if that tax was removed we'll be able to see some NANO BUDGET TAXI'S

pray the government don't do it we have a infestation of three wheelers with tata nano infestation road will be become close to undriveable.

Thanks for the tip. I was hoping to go locomotive shopping this weekend in india, I better cancel that then :)

If you are in a hurry not a bad idea to go shopping mate, as to rolling stock Indian Railway owns over 230,000 (freight) wagons, 60,000 coaches and 9,000 locomotives. You should be able to get a good deal.