• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tata Nano

Nirosha

Overview Of Tata Nano

Tata Nano was launched on 23rd March in Mumbai with much fanfare. Over 100 media persons were present at the launch ceremony with over 1000 guests. Tata Nano is a rear-engined, four-passenger city car aimed primarily at the Indian market. It was first presented at the 9th annual Auto Expo on 10 January 2008, at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi.

Tata Nano has been priced with a starting rate of Rs.134000.00 for the Base model and Rs.160000.00 & Rs.185000.00 for the CX & LX model respectively. It is cheaper than the Maruti 800, its main competitor which is next cheapest Indian car priced at 1,84,600.00 Rupees. Nano is 8 percent smaller in exterior size and has 23 percent larger interior space in comparison to Maruti 800. It is available in 6 shades and the top model LX comes fully loaded with AC, front power windows, fog lights, central locking, tinted glass, body colored bumpers and digital tripmeter.

i just got an invite for the launch of the nano on the 28th at the convention center

The first 5 cars have been bought by

Bri Ponnambalam

Nigel Austin

Asgi Akbarally

Siddath Fernando

Dr Harsha Cabraal

i am sure they must have seen something more than you guys after test driving the cars !!!

really, and how many of them will stop using thier BMWs and/or Mercs to switch to the nano. You dont have any idea about how 'punlicity' works do you? Say the MP of your area comes for the grand opening of your local tea-shop; does that mean he'll stop eating out at 5 star hotels and come have a bun and a plain tea at this shop everyday?

Dude, if you (for your own personal reason) want to try promote the nano at least try saying something more convincing. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

i just got an invite for the launch of the nano on the 28th at the convention center

Bri Ponnambalam

Nigel Austin

Asgi Akbarally

Siddath Fernando

Dr Harsha Cabraal

i am sure they must have seen something more than you guys after test driving the cars !!!

Mr Asgi Akberally - Vice President - Merc Club

Mr Bri Ponnambalam - Secretary - Merc Club

Mr Sidath Fernando - Committee Member - Merc Club

Mr Nigel Austin - Committee Member - Merc Club

Dr.Harsha Cabral - Committee Member - Merc Club

Finally,

Merc agent in Sri Lanka and sponsor for the Merc Club = Tata Nano agent in Sri Lanka.

and finally, finally;

One of the people above is a Director of the company that imports Nanos (check cse.lk if u think I'm lying) and god knows who else are the shareholders of that company :)

DO you notice a trend here? Don't u think that is also a silly marketing gimmick by the agent???

Maybe the Nanos was bought by these gentlemen for peanuts (or maybe even for free) to give to their domestic helpers :)

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 5

Mr Asgi Akberally - Vice President - Merc Club

Mr Bri Ponnambalam - Secretary - Merc Club

Mr Sidath Fernando - Committee Member - Merc Club

Mr Nigel Austin - Committee Member - Merc Club

Dr.Harsha Cabral - Committee Member - Merc Club

Finally,

Merc agent in Sri Lanka and sponsor for the Merc Club = Tata Nano agent in Sri Lanka.

DO you notice a trend here? Don't u think that is also a silly marketing gimmick by the agent???

Maybe the Nanos was bought by these gentlemen for peanuts (or maybe even for free) to give to their domestic helpers :)

Terrance, you've been pwned!

Major pwnage indeed. Considering that the gentlemen in question do include some known car fans and collectors, the only reason I could think of for them buying these cars was for some sort of collection value, not to drive in. Interesting point there, Crosswind.

700.000 is too much for a nano.. which has no AC or even a radio. they sell it for around 100,000 in india.. which is around 250.000 in Sri lanka..

if it was for that price.. its reasonable for bike owners..

but since its 7 grand here.. its a waste of money.. i rather buy a C11 lancer S/W

*sighs* a land like no other

The Nano has its purpose. The car is for the two-wheeler rider who wants to move to 4 wheels. That's the reason behind its creation. It was created by Indian engineers and by making the world's least expensive and most fuel efficient petroleum-fueled cars ready to run European roads with only minor modifications, we have achieved something phenomenal. There's no point in ridiculing it and calling us dumb. I would like to stress that the fire cases reported were stray incidents and there's nothing technically wrong with this car. I think Sri Lankans will change their perspective once they have driven the Nano. Even without driving one and seeing the space, comfort and value it offers, you can't ridicule it.

mate.. i almost drove a nano last month when i was in india.. one of my relations bought it (a lady) im a big person... my right leg kept banging on the door when i press the accelerator (just like when i tried the geely panda) and inside its more plasticky than a Chinese or a Malaysian car.. my relative had the basic ver. with the black bumpers,

i wont say its a really bad car.

like you said.. its get more for what you pay thing..

but for srilankan crappy roads and heat and the 700,000 price tag.. its not worth it..

but still if the price tag was lowerd (which will never happen since this is sri lanka) its worth for small families.

peace mate ^^v

• Like 1

it was mentioned on the thread that the basic version sells in india at 130k (including whatever indian agent fees and taxes)... say thats 300k our money, and since it a small engine it should b under the smallest tax bracket, even at 100% tax thats only 600k, so the only place i see all that cash going to is deep D*MO pockets.

Might be cheaper to get a cheap ticket to india, walk into a showroom buy one and have it shipped to SL (its obviously working for the UK imports so why not india)

700.000 is too much for a nano.. which has no AC or even a radio. they sell it for around 100,000 in india.. which is around 250.000 in Sri lanka..

if it was for that price.. its reasonable for bike owners..

but since its 7 grand here.. its a waste of money.. i rather buy a C11 lancer S/W

*sighs* a land like no other

agreed who want to buy a cheap plastic garbage known as tata nano for that kind of price tag when they have a 100 of other options left. :D

Edited by nexus

agreed who want to buy a cheap plastic garbage known as tata nano for that kind of price tag when they have a 100 of other options left. :D

true.. since i once tried to drive it.. i can assure..its really a Cheap Plastic Garbage..

i saw an Honda Civic EG7 advertised for 6 grand.. why buy a "TATA" an Indian car..

it was mentioned on the thread that the basic version sells in india at 130k (including whatever indian agent fees and taxes)... say thats 300k our money, and since it a small engine it should b under the smallest tax bracket, even at 100% tax thats only 600k, so the only place i see all that cash going to is deep D*MO pockets.

Might be cheaper to get a cheap ticket to india, walk into a showroom buy one and have it shipped to SL (its obviously working for the UK imports so why not india)

haha true., "spice jet" to the rescue

I'm not an agent. I came here to source an image of the Nano on Lankan roads. You seem to have taken what I said very personally. I run a blog (indianautosblog.com) and I thought I would source an image from this forum with a link back. That was my intention.

Shrawan, keep up the good work at IAB.

But since you've had to say so many things, I thought I might put in the correct facts for you.

1) Well there was no change in wheelbase or engine configuration, braking system, steering system, etc. This is the report from a reputed (non-Indian) magazine - http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Tata-Nano/241500/

Video -

compare it to Chery QQ (under similar conditions, since you've uttered it in the same breath as Nano) -

2) So u guys know that we ridicule you. I'm glad cos I thought you guys are too dumb to know that - Can't you do better? This is how you treat someone who comes asking for help?

Just let it slide. 'Haters gonna hate'.

3) What caused the fire - The investigation conducted by an "independent" team proved that there was a foreign object in the affected car's exhaust system. Of the three Nanos that went up, two of them were apparently due to a faulty switch. If there was a design fault with the Nano, then all Nanos should have gone up in flames.

Guess what the owners of Ferrari, Lambos, and other 'supercars' burnt to a crisp will empathize with the humble Nano owners.

I lauded the Nano, but then I never knew it would prompt you and some of the other respected members here to launch personal attacks against me. My only point was you have to drive the Nano before drawing to conclusions. I would say this in the case of any vehicle. I came here looking for some help, but this is what I get instead.

Dont get a negative impression of SL automobile community. There are quite a few interesting cars (unfortunately not even a 'Nano class'is of SL origin), and even more genuine enthusiasts (who doesn't launch into personal attacks) here. I highly recommend you to make a visit.

Cheers!

Bri Ponnambalam

Nigel Austin

Asgi Akbarally

Siddath Fernando

Dr Harsha Cabraal

Could you please explain a little more in detail? Where is this convention center located? Will you be going to the launch? I'm from India, I'm tracking the Nano' journey overseas and writing about it on my blog. That's the reason why I'm interested.

Indian Nano - 2 cylinder 600CC engine, hydraulic brakes, wheelbase 2230mm, mechanical power steering, no airbag, no crumple zone ~$2000 price tag

European Nano (Nano Europa) - 3 cylinder 900CC, ABS brakes, wheelbase 2280mm, electric power steering, airbags, crumple zone, ~$6000 price tag

(Source: wikipedia, autocar magazine and autoblog.com)

The crash test for Nano is done at 56km/h with 40% offset. That's because the car is in the 'quadricycle' category. If u claim it's a good indication of safety of nano, why don't u try driving one head-on to a brick wall at about 80km/h?

We have had trolls from car importers posting marketing messages in this forum. That is why we are usually arrogant at any posting that 'lauds' any vehicle without a reason, especially 'lauds' a pile of junk like Nano. My apologies if you are not that. However, you need to get your facts straight about the Indian and the so-called export version of the Nano.

Finally, we've had enough of the crappy maruti and three-wheelers on sri lankan roads. Hope we don't see many nanos to add to our misery.

The one that's being tested is not the Europa but the normal Nano sold in India :-)

Could you please explain a little more in detail? Where is this convention center located? Will you be going to the launch? I'm from India, I'm tracking the Nano' journey overseas and writing about it on my blog. That's the reason why I'm interested.

This guerrilla marketer gets an A for effort.

Edited by jdnet

its just the starting price mate.. i reckon a full option a/c colored bumper model will cost nearly 11-12 lacks

you got to be pretty nuts to buy one if you ask me :action-smiley-060:

its just the starting price mate.. i reckon a full option a/c colored bumper model will cost nearly 11-12 lacks

you got to be pretty nuts to buy one if you ask me :action-smiley-060:

even you must be completely out of your mind to buy one for 9.25 lacks than 11-12 lacks but i got a funny feeling we will see some idiots who buy it any ways. :D

kmpl figures at that price bracket seems to be the only thing going for nano.

i feel that still they might have overhyped and overpriced the nano to be a viable option for first time car buyers.

will be interesting to see how they try to position it...

even you must be completely out of your mind to buy one for 9.25 lacks than 11-12 lacks but i got a funny feeling we will see some idiots who buy it any ways. :D

so true.. there will be some idiots who will still buy it :D