• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Import A Brand New Car Form Japan

shy007

Was wondering the same thing, let us know of the outcome. According to rules, yes you should be able to source it from anywhere and used upto one year IF registered. It does mean we can get older, unregistered unsold models for a low price right?

I dont think its possible, when most people want to bring a European vehicle what they do is register it in europe and drive for a couple of Km's and bring it here.

If you know someone who lives in Japan the best thing to do is get it registered there and run a couple of km's.

Yeah, don't think you can bring down vehicles that are not registered in JPN. You need a dealers permit for that, if I'm not mistaken.

OT .. why don't ppl bring down more cars from Europe, where 2nd hand market is cheaper for some models.

(ex. 2007 BMW X3 could be bought for 1.2 Mill LKR in UK, and it's 3.4 Mill in JPN - I know the tax will be the same based on valuation, but stil ... :unsure: )

Please do shed some more light on this? :)

Sorry, my info is hearsay and anyone taking this seriously will hv to call DMV to verify. B)

But as I've heard you hv to register as a dealer for a particular brand of vehicle with authority of the manufacturer to import 'unused' vehicles. (like Soft Logic for Ford etc...)

Any 'brand new' vehicle offered by 3rd party importers are infact 'used' vehicles with 'zero' mileage.

There are better persons here to answer this thoroughly than me .. :)

• Like 1

Sorry, my info is hearsay and anyone taking this seriously will hv to call DMV to verify. B)

But as I've heard you hv to register as a dealer for a particular brand of vehicle with authority of the manufacturer to import 'unused' vehicles. (like Soft Logic for Ford etc...)

Any 'brand new' vehicle offered by 3rd party importers are infact 'used' vehicles with 'zero' mileage.

There are better persons here to answer this thoroughly than me .. :)

Not trying to be a dealer, that's starting a whole new business after all. Just want to know about this brand new car only through agents thing, cuz they don't always offer the cars we want and also don't have some options offered elsewhere, so buying from another country with specs we want and importing isn't an option in SL? Also it'd be cheaper without agent fees etc.

You mean vehicles which had odo's reset or just registered for the purpose of importing but never used right? :)

And I've seen other countries having multiple dealers for one brand, isn't that allowed here? Never seen more than one dealer for one brand. And what brands don't have any dealers whatsoever in SL? How to provide valuations and import brand new cars of such brands?

Edited by BLu3HaZe

• 4 months later...

i got permit for import vehicle.... can i import brand new vehicle form japan? ( this vehicle not registered in japan)

It is possible and people are doing it. You can easily find vehicle just registered for export in Japan, called 0 km (most case less than 10km). People do it as business, buy car and register and sell as 'used' car for high price in Japan. It is not difficult to find car regi last month with 2 km. I know few permit holders import 0km cars.