• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Like To Know Some Information About Cvt Gearbox Of Susuki Swift 2008 Model

waruna077

Hi,

Recently I imported a JAAI certified Susuki Swift 2008 model from Japan which has 15200 Km on the odometer. It has a CVT gear box and I would like to know the following things. please advice.

1. Do I have to replace the CVT transmission oil in regular service intervals like normal Auto Gearboxes?

2. If yes, can I do the CVT oil replacement only at A*W workshop or any other place?

Thanks,

Edited by waruna077

Hi,

Recently I imported a JAAI certified Susuki Swift 2008 model from Japan which has 15200 Km on the odometer. It has a CVT gear box and I would like to know the following things. please advice.

1. Do I have to replace the CVT transmission oil in regular service intervals like normal Auto Gearboxes?

2. If yes, can I do the CVT oil replacement only at A*W workshop or any other place?

Thanks,

1. Yes, Every 20-30,000Kms

2. Yes, For CVT fluid, better always at the agents.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice.

One of my friend told me that, A*W guy told him do not replace Susuki CVT oil, because it's life time oil. is it true?

Thanks

Yes some cars did come with such a thing but not all CVT's came with this option.

anyway its always a good idea to a good check up from the agents just to make sure if there is anything else that needs to be replaced :alc:

There is no such thing as a "lifeTime" Oil... the previous owner of my E36 323i took this advise and now the gearbox is stripped waiting for parts to be replaced.

Change the oil regularly.

Yes machan but i recently found out that some cars, especially Vits came with a lifetime warranty for the cvt oil.

I was also confused :blink:

Yes machan but i recently found out that some cars, especially Vits came with a lifetime warranty for the cvt oil.

I'm guessing, since its not really my thing, but wouldn't a unit with a lifetime lube be sealed? If you don't need to change lube, why put in valves, nozzles, etc to change the lube? So logically, it wouldn't have a facility for changing lube other than taking the box apart, right? So if it doesn't have a way of changing, take it for granted that its lifetime?

I'm guessing, since its not really my thing, but wouldn't a unit with a lifetime lube be sealed? If you don't need to change lube, why put in valves, nozzles, etc to change the lube? So logically, it wouldn't have a facility for changing lube other than taking the box apart, right? So if it doesn't have a way of changing, take it for granted that its lifetime?

Good logic but the issue is not that logical. i.e. Some trans will have the drain plug but it is a lifetime fluid deal. However, there are exceptions to this rule based on driving conditions so the fluid may have to be changed.

Secondly, having a sealed trans do not necessarily mean it is a life time fluid deal either.

The best source is the owners manual where it is always explained in detail when and with what to change the fluids. Follow that and you should be safe.

Something to be cautious about is WS [world standard] trans fluid must be replaced with in kind fluid. I've known some individuals here who neglected this little information and used the non WS fluid, to save few bucks, which can damage the trans.

cvt talks on vitz is really confusing.

Different people says different things.

But on safe side Toyota OEM cvt cost only 9k , which would be fairly cheap compared to a repair on cvt box.

Any body know how to accurately refill the oil?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice.

One of my friend told me that, A*W guy told him do not replace Susuki CVT oil, because it's life time oil. is it true?

Thanks

there is no such thing as lifetime oil. what it really means is that it lasts the lifetime of the vehicle warranty which is 100,000 kms or X number of years, whatever comes first. Change your oil to be safe, you can never be sure if the mileage on your car is genuine.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks

there is no such thing as lifetime oil. what it really means is that it lasts the lifetime of the vehicle warranty which is 100,000 kms or X number of years, whatever comes first. Change your oil to be safe, you can never be sure if the mileage on your car is genuine.

This modern technology lasts 100,000 km and collapse.So be careful not to be the unfortunate second owner of a car that has CVT gear box.

• Like 1

This modern technology lasts 100,000 km and collapse.So be careful not to be the unfortunate second owner of a car that has CVT gear box.

FALSE...big time.

There are enough cars that are over 100,000km mark with CVT boxes without any issues.

There are enough TP12's that i know of and i bet there are lot more from other brands as well

On the topic of LIfetime oil

A friend who has a mark X has been advised by the agents about the car having lifetime oil on the tranny.

naturally...he didn't want to trust that and got the oil changed anyways :)

Well as i have heard some cars now comes with "sealed" gear boxes (please correct me if im wrong), specially small and compact cars, therefore you cant do anything with such gearboxes coz they are "sealed". If something bad happens you have to completely swap the entire gear box which is bad :( I would suggest that you would contact the A*W in order to verify that.

Cheers!

Archon

cant believe this smart lifetime warranty for oil.

Run your cvt car start stop move on D, if any vibration, you have a prob in the box. And when you floor the paddle, if there's a big delay or kind of a slipping, your belt has got a problem, CVT supposed to be more responsive.

I am yet to know nissan or suzuki boxes, but back in 2005-6, honda's ATF-z1 didnt work in SL since tropical conditions, and had to change to a Nippon cvt oil. 20-30 k was the change interval.

Wow!!! Another brilliant analysis! From someone who does not own a car that runs on CVT or a lifetime fluid... :)

Ok, shall we put this to rest. My previous BMW had a ZF Gearbox that was filled with Esso LT71141 Lifetime fluid. The car had only around 70000KMs and it started making noises on some situations.

When I took it to Prestige they said to replace this 'lifetime' oil, which I did. Problem went away, but it has come back again, for the simple reason, that the oil 'should' have been changed around that time before the trouble started.

There is no such thing as a 'lifetime' oil.

The term 'lifetime' is very relative and subjective.

If you want to have trouble free running, then there will be a price to pay. That will be the regular oil changes along with the filter.

If you want to take your chances with the 'lifetime' fluid and believe someone who has no clue what it really implies, then please, DONT change the oil.

Simple.

I have bit vibration when i put in to D or R from P in my vitz .Is this sign of any problem in cvt?

cant believe this smart lifetime warranty for oil.

Run your cvt car start stop move on D, if any vibration, you have a prob in the box. And when you floor the paddle, if there's a big delay or kind of a slipping, your belt has got a problem, CVT supposed to be more responsive.

I am yet to know nissan or suzuki boxes, but back in 2005-6, honda's ATF-z1 didnt work in SL since tropical conditions, and had to change to a Nippon cvt oil. 20-30 k was the change interval.

Dilku is not far off the mark. The secret to a decent life on these CVTs is regular (20K ish) fluid replacement with the correct fluids. Without regular fluid servicing, troubles can be expected around the figure D quoted. So, if u get a cvt equipped vehicle from newish...it's regular fluid changes. If u'r buying a cvt equipped vehicle with 70/80ks on the clock and no evidence of fluid chnages, well, maybe there are other vehicles around for you. And it's not just cvt boxes that need loving, if you have a modern "sealed" ZF auto and don't pamper it, be prepared to dig deep into that wallet! Maybe a lot to be still said for an old clutch and a stick through the floor!

Dilku is not far off the mark. The secret to a decent life on these CVTs is regular (20K ish) fluid replacement with the correct fluids. Without regular fluid servicing, troubles can be expected around the figure D quoted.

yes he is!!!

he says the technology doesn't last beyond 100k which is wrong!

fluid replacement are suppose to be done the way the manufacturer had recommended.

everything from manual gear boxes to normal auto trannies to engines needs proper fluid changes to keep them going..

no "technology" is safe in the hands of an idiot who doesn't know to do proper maintenance. And for that you can't blame the technology.And in this case CVT.

Dilku is not far off the mark. The secret to a decent life on these CVTs is regular (20K ish) fluid replacement with the correct fluids. Without regular fluid servicing, troubles can be expected around the figure D quoted. So, if u get a cvt equipped vehicle from newish...it's regular fluid changes. If u'r buying a cvt equipped vehicle with 70/80ks on the clock and no evidence of fluid chnages, well, maybe there are other vehicles around for you. And it's not just cvt boxes that need loving, if you have a modern "sealed" ZF auto and don't pamper it, be prepared to dig deep into that wallet! Maybe a lot to be still said for an old clutch and a stick through the floor!

Yeah right, he is very famous for being right :rolleyes:

So you also agree to his statement that the first owner should just throw away the car without selling it to a second owner ? Ofcourse he didnt say it that way but the only conclution that we can come to from his statement is that :action-smiley-060:

:sad-smiley-023: The "secret" is regular fluid replacement with correct fluids? You don't say? Who woulda thunk it?

As I was saying, Dilkur is on the ball here. Regular, around 20k, fluid replacement on CVTs ensures long unit life. That is a much shorter interval than generally recommended by the manufacturer service books but trade experience shows its a wise habit for the owner. Anyway, each to his own, eh? :)

As I was saying, Dilkur is on the ball here. Regular, around 20k, fluid replacement on CVTs ensures long unit life. That is a much shorter interval than generally recommended by the manufacturer service books but trade experience shows its a wise habit for the owner. Anyway, each to his own, eh? :)

Errr...No...

this is what good ol dilku said

he doesn't say anything about fluid changes etc...

this expert believes after 100k a CVT box will fail...PERIOD...

which is a load of dog poop...

if you're saying he's not off the mark...you're agreeing that this is true!!!

nothing about "each to his own"

it's about actual facts vs some lame ass wanna-be's expert opinion....

Oil change durations will change depending on usage...like traffic conditions, style of driving, climatic conditions etc etc etc...

It's always wise to change any type of fluid more often and that's nothing new...

I know of so many people with CVT box cars that have gone over 100k mark without any issues at all.

at the same time...have heard of a few people who mucked up their CVT's by adding normal auto trans oil instead of proper cvt fluid...

haven't still heard of anybody mucking up a CVT after doing proper maintenance

Edited by Ripper

See you got to read properly before commenting mate, Just like Ripper said that not at all what dilku said.

There is no mentioning about any maintenance at all, according to him after 100k we should just throw away CVT gearboxes cause they all break at the exact time period :rolleyes: