• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

This Time No Fun In Icc World Cup

vidu

The police today announced that banners, placards, musical instruments, glass bottles, fire crackers, laser lights, sharp instruments, knives, professional cameras and alcohol are prohibited in World Cup venues.

Police Chief Mahinda Balasuriya announced this at a press conference held in Colombo today. He also said that a special traffic plan will be implemented during the tournament, but said that the police will close roads leading to the World Cup playing venues from time to time.

Inspector General of Police (IGP) Mahinda Balasuriya said that the police with the assistance of the three armed forces will implement a combine security plan during the twelve matches scheduled to be played in the country.

The police, the Army, Navy, Air Force, STF, PSD and MSD will provide security to the players, local and foreign spectators, VVIP’s and cricket officials. The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) and Interpol will also assist in security measures that are set to be implemented, he said.

“We want to have an incident free tournament. Steps have been taken to prevent any unnecessary incident. Medical assistance will be provided by the Health Ministry together with other healthcare agencies”, he added.

“The security for the cricketers will be provided by the police with the STF from the arrival to the country, during matches, while at hotels and other gatherings and till they leave the country”, IGP Balasuriya said.

CEO of Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) Ajith Jayasekara said that the first match will be played on Sunday at the Sooriyawewa Mahinda Rajapaksa International Stadium when Sri Lanka takes on Canada. All the tickets for the match have already being sold.

“It is the third biggest sporting event in the world and all attention has being coming to the region. Over the past one and a half years the three stadiums were built and were equipped with all the modern facilities. Five out of the six matches played by Sri Lanka will be played at home”, he added.

“Twelve matches including a quarter final match and a semi final match will be played in the country”, he said.

"Tickets will be sold a week before the match and only the Rs.50 tickets are available for the general public now. For the Sri Lanka-Pakistan match scheduled to be played on February 26, around 9500 Rs.50 tickets will be sold tomorrow at the B.D Sirisena ground in Maligawatta", SLC Security Chief Major General Lawrence Fernando said. (Supun Dias)

Source : http://www.dailymirror.lk/news/9869-no-band-choon-at-wc-grounds.html

People come to watch match to have fun not for stand as "scarecrows" .So what is the point of banning "musical instruments". Is it thread to security ? I do not see any thing against it ?

Providing security and maintain peace is a duty of police and also it the responsibility of organizers providing maximum entertainment and fun to audience

What do you guys think ?

I think there will be SLC approved Papare bands/Entertainment on the stands.If thats the case it'll be better IMO because too many bands spoil the atmosphere and it all sounds like a absoloute racket.

and frankly all these security measures may seem over the top.But I'd rather suffer them rather than risk harm/injury/fatalities to foreign players and spectators thus ruining Sri Lanka's Image.

I'd rather talk about cars.

Cameras? I'm fuming and thinking of throwing away my tickets already! :angry-smiley-024:

You gotta be serious - most of don't own point n' shoots anymore, and DSLR's are so common these days!

I've been to many Sri Lanka matches with my 'professional' camera to shoot the pics I like and this is the first time I'm hearing this bull.

They clearly don't want us to enjoy the matches on our terms!

Cameras? I'm fuming and thinking of throwing away my tickets already! :angry-smiley-024:

You gotta be serious - most of don't own point n' shoots anymore, and DSLR's are so common these days!

I've been to many Sri Lanka matches with my 'professional' camera to shoot the pics I like and this is the first time I'm hearing this bull.

You don't think these dumbass cops know the difference between a pro camera and a P&S do you? They objected to my S2 IS, which is NOT an SLR, tho a superzoom (At least, it was a superzoom back in the day). Even dumber they object to people with SLRs with Kit lens, maybe 18-55, who are going to an upper balcony level, as if those things can capture things in the middle. And I managed to get in with my P&S which could take pictures of the players in the middle.

Anyway, sod it. The Big Match is much more happening, and they don't have issues with cameras. Don't care about these piddling little World Cup games :D

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I do not care weather it is standard or not.The people who took photos for leisure will really get piss off with this

You don't think these dumbass cops know the difference between a pro camera and a P&S do you? They objected to my S2 IS, which is NOT an SLR, tho a superzoom (At least, it was a superzoom back in the day). Even dumber they object to people with SLRs with Kit lens, maybe 18-55, who are going to an upper balcony level, as if those things can capture things in the middle. And I managed to get in with my P&S which could take pictures of the players in the middle.

Anyway, sod it. The Big Match is much more happening, and they don't have issues with cameras. Don't care about these piddling little World Cup games :D

dumbass cops??? :ninja:

while I love the direction the country is going with all these development projects and international exposure, we're going centuries backwards in basic rights of the people! MR should understand that the days of his dictator friends (Ahamadinejad, Gadafi) are numbered.....

Edited by madmax

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I do not care weather it is standard or not.The people who took photos for leisure will really get piss off with this

This is not my opinion, but this is the way things are -

Media rights, and rights for images are worth a lot to certain parties. You might have been aware of the amounts paid for broadcast rights. They pay those amounts to get guaranteed exclusive rights. Then any reproduction happens after they are financially compensated. Basically, they pay a lot of money and they want to control whatever images come out of the event, so they can market it for their profit. And considering how expensive the gear is, can't blame them for wanting to maximize profits.

Like I said, its not new. If you have tickets, read the fine print on it and see. Check old tickets if you still have them. I did that after my problem, and it explicitly states it in the ticket. So my gear stays home.

The authorities will go with it, coz those rights bring in far more income than ticket sales at the venues. Not to mention, that money needs to go back into maintenance of the venue. Someones gotta pay for the broken seats.

And people who take for leisure can still take their point and shoots and phones to take pictures of themselves. And if its for leisure, why get worked up? Whats the loss? Certainly no monetary loss.

That is as far as photography goes. The rest of it is sorta absurd. This isn't Eden Gardens 1996.

Media rights, and rights for images are worth a lot to certain parties. You might have been aware of the amounts paid for broadcast rights. They pay those amounts to get guaranteed exclusive rights. Then any reproduction happens after they are financially compensated. Basically, they pay a lot of money and they want to control whatever images come out of the event, so they can market it for their profit. And considering how expensive the gear is, can't blame them for wanting to maximize profits.

Like I said, its not new. If you have tickets, read the fine print on it and see. Check old tickets if you still have them. I did that after my problem, and it explicitly states it in the ticket. So my gear stays home.

The authorities will go with it, coz those rights bring in far more income than ticket sales at the venues. Not to mention, that money needs to go back into maintenance of the venue. Someones gotta pay for the broken seats.

And people who take for leisure can still take their point and shoots and phones to take pictures of themselves. And if its for leisure, why get worked up? Whats the loss? Certainly no monetary loss.

That is as far as photography goes. The rest of it is sorta absurd. This isn't Eden Gardens 1996.

truth is hurt I need to cry.:( :( :(

Edited by vidu

+1 Peri

Not just the Sri Lankan authorities, the ICC also has a major share of the control over the situation.

Not just inside the venues, they are even considering the rights of the sponsors outside the event. for an instance, there was a very famous cola company (not gonna mention the name) that portrayed an add that had a Sri Lankan player in it and since Pepsi is the official beverage supplier of the even they were outraged.

note: since Pepsi is the official beverage sponsor no other non sponsoring supplier is allowed to market any materiel containing any of the players in the ICC during this season, thats how serious they are :blink:

Edited by The Stig

I can quite clearly hear a papara band playing at the SL vs Canada match as I type. In fact, it's nice because for once I can hear only that band and not a huge racket. So I guess in a way, this has been a good thing and they are allowing SLC sanctioned bands. Better than that vuvuzela nonsense at the Football cup. However, they are having technical difficulties with the sidescreen, not quite the best way for us to start a new venue :P

Hmmmm ... ever heard that F1 is banning the use of DSLR's or even RWC? I think not.

Obviously you can't waste your police time determining whether a camera carries a lens capable enough to take 'professional' level photographs of an event, so the dumbass way is to ban everything larger than a credit card.

But my point is that there were enough and more DSLR's at Shere Bangala yesterday - it's our IGP that is being a numbskull, as I see it. :blink:

But yeah, the big match is round the corner - there will be booze, papare and fun unlimited (with the option to take any picture you wish of the ensuing hilarity!), so who needs to sulk over these moronic decisions :alc:

http://www.dailymirror.lk/news/9900--ban-on-props-removed.html the Ban on banners and posters has been lifted.Rightfully so.Maybe they were worried about pro LTTE stuff.

OT : Them Indian commentators are biased as hell,specially that dumbass Gavaskar.God I hope any team other than India or Australia win if SL can't make it.

OT : Them Indian commentators are biased as hell,specially that dumbass Gavaskar.God I hope any team other than India or Australia win if SL can't make it.

Indeed mate... :alc:

Those people thinks(majority of them) that there won't be any live in cricket as far as they are not playing. We can remember what those bladdy Indian buggers have commented on "Cricinfo" articles about our Murali at his retirement. :angry: Idiots... :violent-smiley-099: Shame they are also in the same region(Asia) :angry:

i agree MasterDon

:alc::alc::alc::alc::alc:

Those people thinks(majority of them) that there won't be any live in cricket as far as they are not playing. We can remember what those bladdy Indian buggers have commented on "Cricinfo" articles about our Murali at his retirement. :angry: Idiots... :violent-smiley-099: Shame they are also in the same region(Asia) :angry:

hear hear! :appl:

Indian :angry-smiley-002: God I hate those buggers. stupid turds

Edited by scds

• 8 months later...

MEMBERS I GOT THIS NEWS BY EMAIL

Gold Coast is a clear favorite to host Commonwealth Games in 2018

·
November 11, 2011 12:00AM

GAMES: Australian officials desperate for the Gold Coast to host the 2018 Commonwealth Games reckon it's all about trust.

The Gold Coast is bidding against unheralded Sri Lankan coastal town Hambantota to host the 2018 Games. A decision will be made by the Commonwealth Games Federation general assembly tomorrow (AEDT). While Gold Coast is considered favourite, officials have been making last ditch pitches ahead of the vote in St Kitts and Nevis in the Caribbean.

Seventy-one Commonwealth Games associations will vote, with Australia delivering last-minute messages to delegates."What delegates want to know is, do we know the people who are actually making the promises?" Australian Commonwealth Games Association chief executive Perry Crosswhite said.

Crosswhite, a triple Olympian and long-serving sports official, and his association's president, Sam Coffa, have taken prominence in their roles on the Gold Coast bid committee.

"We have been right up in front," Crosswhite said."We're saying: 'We have been around a long time, we were at past Games with you, you can trust us _ we're going to make sure that whatever is said by the government or the private sector or anyone else is delivered.' "

Hambantota, a town devastated by the 2004 tsunami, is selling its bid as a nation-building event for Sri Lanka.The town has no international airport, accommodation of just 1009 hotel rooms, one sporting stadium, untested security and lacks the telecommunications technology necessary to host the Games.But the Sri Lankan government has committed to spending about 60 per cent of the required $1.71 billion needed to build required infrastructure.

In contrast, the Gold Coast bid highlighted current infrastructure, with almost 80 per cent of proposed Games venues already existing, mature security and plentiful accommodation.

The Queensland government guaranteed to fund any shortfall in a non-organising committee capital expenditure program of about $890 million, which includes $620 million for the Games village and $105 million for six new Games venues.

The Commonwealth Games Federation's evaluation commission described the Hambantota bid as a medium to high risk, compared with the low risk of the Gold Coast.

Sri Lanka has sent a hopeful 60-strong delegation to the Caribbean.

The result of the vote will be known at 9am (AEDT) tomorrow.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

MEMBERS I GOT THIS NEWS BY EMAIL

Gold Coast is a clear favorite to host Commonwealth Games in 2018

·
November 11, 2011 12:00AM

GAMES: Australian officials desperate for the Gold Coast to host the 2018 Commonwealth Games reckon it's all about trust.

The Gold Coast is bidding against unheralded Sri Lankan coastal town Hambantota to host the 2018 Games. A decision will be made by the Commonwealth Games Federation general assembly tomorrow (AEDT). While Gold Coast is considered favourite, officials have been making last ditch pitches ahead of the vote in St Kitts and Nevis in the Caribbean.

Seventy-one Commonwealth Games associations will vote, with Australia delivering last-minute messages to delegates."What delegates want to know is, do we know the people who are actually making the promises?" Australian Commonwealth Games Association chief executive Perry Crosswhite said.

Crosswhite, a triple Olympian and long-serving sports official, and his association's president, Sam Coffa, have taken prominence in their roles on the Gold Coast bid committee.

"We have been right up in front," Crosswhite said."We're saying: 'We have been around a long time, we were at past Games with you, you can trust us _ we're going to make sure that whatever is said by the government or the private sector or anyone else is delivered.' "

Hambantota, a town devastated by the 2004 tsunami, is selling its bid as a nation-building event for Sri Lanka.The town has no international airport, accommodation of just 1009 hotel rooms, one sporting stadium, untested security and lacks the telecommunications technology necessary to host the Games.But the Sri Lankan government has committed to spending about 60 per cent of the required $1.71 billion needed to build required infrastructure.

In contrast, the Gold Coast bid highlighted current infrastructure, with almost 80 per cent of proposed Games venues already existing, mature security and plentiful accommodation.

The Queensland government guaranteed to fund any shortfall in a non-organising committee capital expenditure program of about $890 million, which includes $620 million for the Games village and $105 million for six new Games venues.

The Commonwealth Games Federation's evaluation commission described the Hambantota bid as a medium to high risk, compared with the low risk of the Gold Coast.

Sri Lanka has sent a hopeful 60-strong delegation to the Caribbean.

The result of the vote will be known at 9am (AEDT) tomorrow.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

sorry sylvi gold coast already won this.. do u think SL even had a chance.. have u seen gold coast... no chance...

• Like 1