• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fuel Consumption Of Chevrolet Cruze

Crosswind

Question

Hi guys,

I've got a Chevy Cruze (fancy version of Swift) 2004 model car. It does about 7 kmpl driving in the 'burbs. I normally dont drive in the city itself but usually along parliament road, away from Colombo in the mornings and towards Colombo in the evenings. I'm wondering if the fuel consumption is normal for a Cruze or whether something can be done to improve it. I normally drive with AC.

Can anybody suggest a good place to get its mechanics checked? It's giving weird but minor noises (I'm not an expert in cars).

Are there any known problems with Chevy Cruze?

Thanks in advance

20 answers to this question

Hi guys,

I've got a Chevy Cruze (fancy version of Swift) 2004 model car. It does about 7 kmpl driving in the 'burbs. I normally dont drive in the city itself but usually along parliament road, away from Colombo in the mornings and towards Colombo in the evenings. I'm wondering if the fuel consumption is normal for a Cruze or whether something can be done to improve it. I normally drive with AC.

Can anybody suggest a good place to get its mechanics checked? It's giving weird but minor noises (I'm not an expert in cars).

Thanks in advance

If its an Automatic it should do about 10kmpl in city :). Fuel consumption depends on many factors such as driving style,condition of the road,condition of the vehicle etc.Get it tuned,clean the injectors,clean the throttle body an there might be an improvement.

What kind of noises?

Edited by kelum_wj

If its an Automatic it should do about 10kmpl in city :). Fuel consumption depends on many factors such as driving style,condition of the road,condition of the vehicle etc.Get it tuned,clean the injectors,clean the throttle body an there might be an improvement.

:grinning-smiley-003:

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance

Can't believe 7kmpl. mine does 12.5 city and 15.5 outstation. ( Chevy Cruze DOCH engine). I had checked more than 10 times in my car

@anuradha, nexus and kelum - yeah I guess I havent cleaned the injectors or done a tune-up in ages. hopefully that might help. i just needed an indication of how it does on fuel before i take it to a garage.

@dilku - i took the car to lal alawatta some time ago. i was disappointed with their work. they seem to have too much work in their hands. any other places in the area?

thanks everyone for your replies.

Although I can drive like a maniac when I have to I normally don't do it. I normally keep an eye on the RPM meter and keep it as close to 2000 as possible.

Didn't ask if you rev hard, asked how fast :) If you putter around at about 30kmph on a low gear, your not likely to do well on fuel either. I'd have assumed you Cruze was an auto?

Mate, I had a cruze (4wd) version and it did around 10 kmpl...in the city and outstation it was around 14..and this is with the full body kit and low pro wide wheels also..so i think something is wrong some where, you better do a full diagnose on your car.. :unsure:

Although I can drive like a maniac when I have to I normally don't do it. I normally keep an eye on the RPM meter and keep it as close to 2000 as possible.

Also, how big are your tyres? are you running the standard size tyres?

cause bigger ones can make a noticable difference in fuel consumption. Specially in Auto's

yes it's an auto .

@Pericles - I don't drive like a grandma if that's what u r thinking. I Drive normally. I guess we r looking at 60-70 on the parliament road. Accelerate slowly and step on it only if the one in front of me drives like a grandma. oh... and I'm used to driving overseas so I maintain a bit of road discipline.

BTW isn't it the engine revolutions that have a direct correlation with the fuel consumption, rather than the speed?

@viren/darkangel - tyres are the same ones the car came with. standard size. standard alloy wheels. styes r still good. mine's not a 4wd and it has no bodykit (except the roof rails)

Thx fellas

yes it's an auto .

@Pericles - I don't drive like a grandma if that's what u r thinking. I Drive normally. I guess we r looking at 60-70 on the parliament road. Accelerate slowly and step on it only if the one in front of me drives like a grandma. oh... and I'm used to driving overseas so I maintain a bit of road discipline.

BTW isn't it the engine revolutions that have a direct correlation with the fuel consumption, rather than the speed?

@viren/darkangel - tyres are the same ones the car came with. standard size. standard alloy wheels. styes r still good. mine's not a 4wd and it has no bodykit (except the roof rails)

Thx fellas

Hi,

Just wondering how is the cruze doing now (with fuel consumption)?Im also planning to get one and wants to get some insights of the vehicle. Some ppl do say the second hand market is not gud. Any body have any experience with second hand of a chevy 2004 Japanese model? plz help

All this fuel consumption stats are just insane. Some people quote magical numbers. I suggest someone have a banner on Autolanka's homepage saying that on average a car does about 10 kmpl in SL.

And a hell lot depends on the driver too and the cars condition (how much the car has been molested by its previous owner).

True, unless you are rolling in rupees, gas guzzlers aren't ideal for Sri Lanka. That doesnt' mean you have to drive

maruti's either.

Hi,

Just wondering how is the cruze doing now (with fuel consumption)?Im also planning to get one and wants to get some insights of the vehicle. Some ppl do say the second hand market is not gud. Any body have any experience with second hand of a chevy 2004 Japanese model? plz help

It's doing around 10kmpl-11kmpl on the city and the only trips outside colombo is to Kandy and it clocks the same figures. There's a known issue with Cruzes (and swifts) with the suspension mounts. Nothing to panic. Any decent garage can sort that problem out.

I owned a 2002 Cruze in the past (what they call the 'side antenna' model) and when I wanted to sell it, I put up an ad in AL classifieds. Three days later, the car was sold for 25,000 less than what I quoted. But I didn't quote an insanely high price.

'Some people' are born with their brains inside their buttocks. You can sell any car in this country if you quote a reasonable price.

yes it's an auto .

Thx fellas

Tyre size won't make SUCH a big difference to fuel consumption, unless you've put tractor tyres IMO. However, they can mess up the calculations because ODO readings will be incorrect making you seem by calculation that you're operating inefficiently.

But what Pericles is getting at, I think, is that trying to keep that low RPM is good, but keeping them low on the higher gears is way more efficient.

It's doing around 10kmpl-11kmpl on the city and the only trips outside colombo is to Kandy and it clocks the same figures. There's a known issue with Cruzes (and swifts) with the suspension mounts. Nothing to panic. Any decent garage can sort that problem out.

I owned a 2002 Cruze in the past (what they call the 'side antenna' model) and when I wanted to sell it, I put up an ad in AL classifieds. Three days later, the car was sold for 25,000 less than what I quoted. But I didn't quote an insanely high price.

'Some people' are born with their brains inside their buttocks. You can sell any car in this country if you quote a reasonable price.

Thnkx a lot...

Hi Guys,

I know this is a 7 year old post. But I hope you guys now have good experience regarding this car. I'm also planning to buy this car for my daily driving. I drive from Kesbawe to Colombo 03 every day. It's around 40km per day. Looking for a car which has good fuel efficiency for a range around 2mil. Now I have a Mazda Familia butterfly model. 1300cc auto gear car doesn't give me much of a choice in terms of fuel efficiency. So hope you can give me proper idea regarding this chevrolet cruze 2004.

1 hour ago, Sanda-Ru1 said:

Hi Guys,

I know this is a 7 year old post. But I hope you guys now have good experience regarding this car. I'm also planning to buy this car for my daily driving. I drive from Kesbawe to Colombo 03 every day. It's around 40km per day. Looking for a car which has good fuel efficiency for a range around 2mil. Now I have a Mazda Familia butterfly model. 1300cc auto gear car doesn't give me much of a choice in terms of fuel efficiency. So hope you can give me proper idea regarding this chevrolet cruze 2004.

Have one in the family - been running and running and running without any major issues apart from a bust AC compressor - very durable car and the best thing is it can handle really bad roads. You won't get hybrid like fuel figures - depending on how you drive 8-10 KMPL in a mix of city/suburban driving. Just pay attention to the suspension mounts - known issue and also the steering rack - that has given trouble over the years. All in all decent car - not very comfy but a good all-round car well suited for sri Lankan roads, small parking spaces and the generally abusive harsh conditions we have here. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 1:14 PM, matroska said:

Have one in the family - been running and running and running without any major issues apart from a bust AC compressor - very durable car and the best thing is it can handle really bad roads. You won't get hybrid like fuel figures - depending on how you drive 8-10 KMPL in a mix of city/suburban driving. Just pay attention to the suspension mounts - known issue and also the steering rack - that has given trouble over the years. All in all decent car - not very comfy but a good all-round car well suited for sri Lankan roads, small parking spaces and the generally abusive harsh conditions we have here. 

Thanks for the details